Re: [bbshop] Quiet Heroes, Ordinary Miracles

  • David Bowen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2001
      Fellow Harmonetters, you all know Steve Tremper for his contributions as
      Harmonet Reporter and Scoring Summary Poster. But he's also contributed
      in a behind the scenes role that has helped end one of his more public ones.
      In, I believe, the fall of 1996, Society President Dick Shaw, put together
      a task force on Information Technology with the assignment to investigate
      the current trends and look at ways the Society could use them to improve
      its operations and increase its public presence. Steve and I were both on
      that original task force and one of the first things we did was put together
      a wish list starting with simple things like using e-mail instead of snail
      mail for Society business and getting a web site up and ending up with
      "blue-sky" items like webcasts of the International Convention. Like most
      task forces, we then proceeded to make recommendations to the Society's
      Board on how the items on the wish list might be implemented. Much of
      it was infrastructure, putting better computers and networks into Kenosha
      so everyone had e-mail access and so we had the computer horsepower to
      handle the data base work the plans would require. Bit by bit things came
      together, a web cam at Harmony College and delayed broadcast of the keynote
      address, then more music clips and the ARI archives, on line contest
      registration, last year's webcast of the quartet finals and now a week plus
      of live webcasts from the International. The things that five years ago
      were blue sky are a reality today and Steve was one of the folks who
      helped the Society make them a reality. So if you see Larry Clemons, our
      first chairman, or Scott Hoge who made all of those plans happen, thank
      them for their work. And now you know the rest of the story.

      Dave Bowen