RE: [bbshop] Quiet Heroes, Ordinary Miracles

  • Jim Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 6:46 AM
      Personally, I think they should give him a guest slot on the webcast!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 7:16 AM
        Fellow Harmonetters, you all know Steve Tremper for his contributions as
        Harmonet Reporter and Scoring Summary Poster. But he's also contributed
        in a behind the scenes role that has helped end one of his more public ones.
        In, I believe, the fall of 1996, Society President Dick Shaw, put together
        a task force on Information Technology with the assignment to investigate
        the current trends and look at ways the Society could use them to improve
        its operations and increase its public presence. Steve and I were both on
        that original task force and one of the first things we did was put together
        a wish list starting with simple things like using e-mail instead of snail
        mail for Society business and getting a web site up and ending up with
        "blue-sky" items like webcasts of the International Convention. Like most
        task forces, we then proceeded to make recommendations to the Society's
        Board on how the items on the wish list might be implemented. Much of
        it was infrastructure, putting better computers and networks into Kenosha
        so everyone had e-mail access and so we had the computer horsepower to
        handle the data base work the plans would require. Bit by bit things came
        together, a web cam at Harmony College and delayed broadcast of the keynote
        address, then more music clips and the ARI archives, on line contest
        registration, last year's webcast of the quartet finals and now a week plus
        of live webcasts from the International. The things that five years ago
        were blue sky are a reality today and Steve was one of the folks who
        helped the Society make them a reality. So if you see Larry Clemons, our
        first chairman, or Scott Hoge who made all of those plans happen, thank
        them for their work. And now you know the rest of the story.

        Dave Bowen