Sad News

  • pattifitz@peoplepc.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
      Dominic Mondi, member and past president of The Northshoremen's
      Chorus, Peabody, MA, died Saturday, June 30 from cancer. Dom was a
      very dear friend and devoted husband to Ginny, former lead of my
      quartet, The Latest News. Dom's obit can be viewed in the Boston
      Globe, or the online version Boston.com. Dom was diagnosed with lung
      cancer in April 2001, and was undergoing treatment at Mass. General
      Hospital in Boston, MA. Unfortunately, the disease got the best of
      him despite the best medical care, and he departed this earth quietly
      on Saturday. Visiting hours are Monday, July 2 at Full-Spychalski
      Funeral Home, 84 Washington Square East, Salem, MA. In lieu of
      flowers, donations can be made in his memory to the American Cancer
      Society, 30 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701
    • janice_decuir
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 14, 2007
        Her children were there over the last several days to say good-bye
        to Mary Jo Stephenson Hatton Thompson, the director of Falls of the
        Ohio, Sweet Adeline Chapter in Louisville, Kentucky. She passed
        away at 4 PM, April 14th, 2007 at the young age of seventy-one.

        Anyone who may have really known our mother would agree that she
        touched many lives and inspired many singers with her music and
        artistry. She directed F.O.T.O until 1979 and then went on to become
        the first director of The Song of Atlanta. She retired from
        directing in the 1980s.

        She will be missed as a precious resource of wisdom in many lives.

        Please take a moment, if so appropriate, to reflect upon a woman who
        worked toward excellence, raised the bar, inspired many women to
        challenge themselves, while doing the very best that she could.

        A memorial service will be held in Louisville, Kentucky at the
        Highland Funeral Home. The date has not yet been set but details
        will follow. She will rest next to her mother and grandparents at
        Louisville Memorial Gardens in Louisville, Kentucky.

        Those who may wish to offer any expression of condolence can
        sing "Wonderful World" in her honor. It was one of her favorites.

        Respectfully,

        Janice Evelyn Hatton DeCuir
      • Duane Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 14, 2007
          Very sad news indeed.

          If you happen to have Bluegrass Student Union's Legacy collection,
          the liner notes by Kenny Hatton describe the role Mary Jo Hatton
          played in introducing them to barbershop, and coaching them through
          their Cardinal District championship in 1974. I'm sure she had a
          similar infuence on countless others.

          Duane Johnson

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "janice_decuir" <janice_decuir@...>

        • dickgirvin@juno.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2008
            We have just been advised of the passing of one of the icons of the Far
            Western District, Pete Monzo, originally from the Downey Chapter and
            recently with PalPac. Services are pending. Information will be posted.

            Dick Girvin, FWD Secretary
            34888 Lyn Ave
            Hemet, CA 92545
            (951) 926-8644
            dickgirvin@...
            Security Camera for your small business. Click Now!
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3mYHqgO0aoHw5PyW3SCH2BWwhA03heCX54kLhIF0n21j2jen/
          • Elizabeth Cluett
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 22, 2008
              Maurice Radford better known as "Rad" joined the heavenly chorus on December 7, 2008. He was 82.
              He was the lead of the "Checkered Flag Four" from the Mark Twain Chapter in Senecaland.  The quartet was honored by the Society on July 5, 2001 for singing the United States and Canadian National Anthems to over 4 million people over 14 years at race events at several race circuits in the East. There was also an article in the "Harmonizer".
              Rad was recently honored at the Mark Twain Show in November for his 50 Year membership in the society.
              Rad also was the replacement lead for the Senecaland District Champion Quartet Compress-Aires from Painted Post, NY.

              Rad is survived by his wife Marie having celebrated 54 years of marriage on May 1, 2008.
              He also is survived by son and daughter-in-law, Gregg and Sherry Radford, Daughter and Son-in-law, Tracey and Brian Mizzoni and 6 grandchildren and 1 great grandson.
              You may send a card:
              Marie Radford
              56 Ivy Lane
              Horseheads,NY 14845

              Rad was a dear friend.
              Betty Cluett
              Elizcluett@...
            • Paul & Denise Ellingson
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2009
                Dear Friends,

                I regret to inform you that Doris Grapes, wife of Dick Grapes of the "Buffalo Bills", passed away unexpectedly last night. Notes of condolence can be sent to the Grapes family at:

                261 Spruce Street
                North Tonawanda, NY 14120

                Paul Ellingson

              • Jack W. Martin
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 10, 2009
                  I have just learned that Wally Cluett has been diagnosed with cancer. He
                  will be undergoing chemo treatments. We need to keep Wally and Betty in our
                  prayers.
                  Both Wally and Betty are strong supporters of the BQPA. For those of you
                  who are not aware, I believe Wally was the original bari of the Boston
                  Common.
                  In Harmony
                  Jack Martin.

                • Charlie Davenport
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 20, 2010
                    I haven't seen this posted yet. Very sad news of a great coach, Harmony U faculty member, and just a super guy. There is a wonderful Facebook page dedicated to him -- Remembering Paul Tamblyn

                    Dr. Paul Tamblyn, Acton High School teacher, barbershop chorus director, canoeist, biochemist, house-builder, dad, husband and friend, fought abdominal cancer and died February 17th, 2010. Share news, memories, and photos as we remember a remarkable life.

                    Charlie D.
                  • johnpousa@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 20, 2010
                      Very sad, indeed. I was making plans with Paul for a November CDWI Next Level when he emailed that he had fallen ill. He was stranded in western Canada at the time, having been evacuated from a cruise ship.

                      I only found out last month that he was stricken with cancer, and he advised that we make other plans for our Next Level.

                      What a great man, able, confident teacher and giver to our wonderful craft.

                      With sadness,

                      John Phillips,
                      Augusta, GA Chapter

                      From: "Charlie Davenport" <charliedbhs@...>
                      Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:46:53
                      To: <bbshop@yahoogroups.com>
                      Subject: [bbshop] Sad News

                      I haven't seen this posted yet. Very sad news of a great coach, Harmony U faculty member, and just a super guy. There is a wonderful Facebook page dedicated to him -- Remembering Paul Tamblyn

                      Dr. Paul Tamblyn, Acton High School teacher, barbershop chorus director, canoeist, biochemist, house-builder, dad, husband and friend, fought abdominal cancer and died February 17th, 2010. Share news, memories, and photos as we remember a remarkable life.

                      Charlie D.

                    • Ev Nau
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 20, 2010
                        Paul Tamblyn was not short; he was concentrated . . . how else could one
                        describe his dynamism? He could walk into a room full of giants and stand
                        out because of his natural ability to lead, to teach and to be loved. It was
                        never about him; it was always about the student . . . and Paul was a
                        consummate teacher.

                        I first met him many years ago at a school in Ontario. I didn't know a thing
                        about the guy except that I liked him immediately. Paul could shine the
                        light on anyone else in the room, and still be noticed for what he was
                        capable of doing. It didn't take long to understand why people liked him so
                        much . . . he just did so much for others. You only had to look into his
                        eyes to see the imp ready to play, but sharing the space with the sage
                        willing to share. Self aggrandizement was not part of his nature. Helping
                        others was everything to him.

                        Soon, I was working on the Society staff and interfacing with Paul on a
                        fairly regular basis. Always he operated just below the surface of broad
                        recognition. Always he kept the focus on the teaching, not the teacher.
                        Always, he succeeded. Watching him conduct a CDWI was watching a true artist
                        paint. Paul could have helped a stone direct if he wanted to. I think we all
                        know a few who benefitted from Paul's unyielding willingness to help,
                        encourage and improve others. He was the ultimate Boy Scout in many ways.

                        And now, too soon, he is gone from our presence, and all we have left are
                        memories of his loving contributions. Not many will recognize his name on a
                        Society-wide basis, but those who worked with him will never forget his
                        impact. Many Barbershoppers can tell you who the great coaches are, who the
                        great arrangers are and who the great leaders are . . . and those coaches,
                        arrangers and leaders will tell you who their great inspiration was: and
                        most will name Paul Tamblyn in that light. That was his gift to all of us .
                        . . keeping the message important and himself in the background. He was way
                        too successful in my opinion.

                        Rest in peace, Paul. You have served us better than we deserved to be
                        served.

                        Ev Nau

                      • Keith Eckhardt
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                          From: Russ Young, FWD Executive Vice President
                          Date: April 13, 2010

                          Subject: Sad news.

                          It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that our dear friend and fellow barbershopper Dick Girvin passed away early this morning. Dick had been hospitalized for several days after having suffered a mild heart attack, as well as facing other medical issues.

                          Dick had served as a FWD leader in many capacities during his barbershop tenure. He will be missed.

                          Shirley has asked that she be given time to herself and that nobody call for about a week. I trust we will honor her request.

                          Information on arrangements will be forthcoming.

                          I am sending this message on behalf of FWD President Bernard Priceman who is visiting family in England at this time.

                          Russ Young
                          FWD Executive Vice President