CBS - Sunday Morning - 7/1/2001

  • djspebs@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2001
      For those of us who appreciate the Major TV Networks which
      show The BBShop Art Form in a bright and happy light, we can
      point with great pride to this morning's humorous report from
      Hanlontown, Iowa on their annual "Sundown Day" -- as
      reported on CBS-TV "Sunday Morning".

      Held annually on the summer solstice, the setting of the sun
      directly over the railroad tracks is not only spectacular, it's
      about the only thing towns like Hanlontown have to boast.

      This years' celebration was enhanced by a rather good
      BBShop Quartet out of Mason City, Iowa (Yes, Virginia,
      THAT Mason City -- the original Music Man "River City")
      featured throughout the several minute presentation.

      When I first heard the "sound", I immediately recognized
      the booming Basso Profundo of Jerry Hammes, formerly
      of Ft. Dodge, IA where I began my BBShop career so
      long ago. Jerry was part of three or four quartets during
      his tenure in that city. He now travels from his (newer) home
      in Northwestern Iowa some 100+ miles to River City to
      sing in that fine Chapter Chorus and in the aforementioned
      Quartet. I am quite ashamed that I cannot recall the name
      of the foursome, but I'm sure he (and a few others) will
      fill my memory lapse.

      If you missed it, you not only missed a very funny show
      about what (some) small towns in America find to
      occupy their leisure hours -- and attract visitors to
      their midst for a few hours on a summer day -- but
      also a very good quartet presentation. While they
      were only "on camera" a couple of brief moments,
      their music was heard from beginning to end.

      Sundown Day is a biggie in the little town of Hanlontown,
      Iowa You ca watch paint dry, the sunset (*), and hear the corn
      grow, and a good BBShop quartet!

      (*) Especially when the sun is shining.

      Dick Johnson
      Great Falls, MT