Re: After Midnight Makes Barbershop History in Denver On July 4th

  • The McAlexanders
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, JHunna1@... wrote:
      > ... and then we (Reveille) would love to have you be there to watch
      our "sitdown dinner" - two entirely new original pieces...maybe even
      funny :-)

      Reveille qualified at the CAR prelims this spring, and I can confirm
      that their new set is EXTREMELY funny, even from my vantage point
      backstage.

      But, Joe, about all the stuff I had to sweep off of the stage
      afterward ...

      Oops, I'd better stop before I give it away.

      Ann McAlexander
      CAR Backstage Manager Sub (for husband Brad, whose new quartet came in
      second, but didn't qualify - yet!)
    • David Bailey-Aldrich
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
        Have you heard? Perhaps you missed my previous message about history
        in the making in Denver, so here's a gentle reminder.

        On July 4th, at 11:20AM a once in a lifetime opportunity is waiting
        for you at the Pepsi Center!

        Due to the "luck of the draw", After Midnight has been chosen to sing
        FIRST for a second consecutive time at Int'l (we missed last
        year due to a work conflict). The odds of us singing FIRST twice in
        a row are 2116 to 1. In fact, our Bass, Steve McDonald, sang FIRST 2
        out of the 4 times he competed with his previous quartet, Prime
        Time. That means that he is now 4 for 6 singing FIRST in the quarter-
        finals at Int'l. Actually, it's 4 out of his last 5 appearances.
        The odds of that happening are 1,176,980 to 1. Steve is one LUCKY
        guy! (Note: All four of the members of Prime Time are competing this
        year; Bob Albacthen with Vocality and Larry and Jim Halvorsen with
        Stardust)

        After checking with Harmonet trivia/history experts and calling the
        BHS headquarters, it was agreed that we can crown ourselves "Kings of
        the FIRST Slot". So, be sure you're in your seats for our coronation
        performance.

        Oh, by the way... if the once in a lifetime/history making/coronation
        angle doesn't excite you, perhaps this will get you riled up and in
        your seats early. The first five quartets in the quarter-finals are:
        1. After Midnight (YEAH!!!)
        2. Hot Air Buffoons
        3. SEP
        4. Makin' Waves
        5. OC Times

        So, as you can see you'll definitely want to be in your seats for our
        performance, if for no other reason than to give you time to get
        comfortable, and mentally ready for what is sure to be a screamingly
        funny (and likely top 10 caliber) set from Hot Air Buffoons, followed
        by a medalist contender in SEP (who's got those beads, anyway?) then
        Makin' Waves trying to crack the top 20, and OC Times trying to stake
        their claim for the gold medal. Not to mention two more strong top
        20 contenders in The Great Nashville Singout and New Release singing
        6th and 7th, respectively.

        Oh, I've also heard an updated rumor that the BHS is trying out a new
        mic-tester format, with full show sets from both Vocal Spectrum and
        Power Play before we go on. To think that you get all of that
        excitement at no extra cost!!!

        OK... We made that last part up, but you get the point. BE IN YOUR
        SEATS at the Pepsi Center right at 11:20AM, and be part of making BHS
        history!

        Congratulations to all of the competing groups in Denver, especially
        our LOL brothers Voices Only, Vocality and Bandwagon, and the mighty
        choruses from Greendale and Minneapolis!

        Sincerely,

        After Midnight
        2005 LOL District quartet champions
        2005 & 2007 Int'l competitors