Re: After Midnight Makes Barbershop History in Denver On July 4th

  • plcmat
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      I remember when there was a quartet from CAR named The Final Four.
      You guessed it, they drew the last spot in the Quarter Finals.

      I am wondering if the randomizing algorithm is biased by (a)
      alphabetical order or (b) lateness of the LOL contest every spring
      which would put LOL quartets at the end of any list in which quartets
      are listed by order of qualification.

      Steve Nester
      Sounds of Concord
      Bass, Concord eXpress
    • ENau@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        Hi, Steve,

        The draw is a totally random draw. LOL has no disadvantage or advantage. It's just the way the names come out of the hat.

        BTW, The Final Four was the laugh of the day when it happened.

        Someone should check to see how many times Manhattan has led off the international chorus contest since 1984 in St. Louis. Seems to me they have been 1st or 2nd out of the chute quite a few times, since we're speaking of records. . . .

        Best wishes to you and all my firends in Concord. Take good care of my former chapter, please.

        Ev Nau

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, JHunna1@... wrote:
          > ... and then we (Reveille) would love to have you be there to watch
          our "sitdown dinner" - two entirely new original pieces...maybe even
          funny :-)

          Reveille qualified at the CAR prelims this spring, and I can confirm
          that their new set is EXTREMELY funny, even from my vantage point
          backstage.

          But, Joe, about all the stuff I had to sweep off of the stage
          afterward ...

          Oops, I'd better stop before I give it away.

          Ann McAlexander
          CAR Backstage Manager Sub (for husband Brad, whose new quartet came in
          second, but didn't qualify - yet!)
        • David Bailey-Aldrich
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
            Have you heard? Perhaps you missed my previous message about history
            in the making in Denver, so here's a gentle reminder.

            On July 4th, at 11:20AM a once in a lifetime opportunity is waiting
            for you at the Pepsi Center!

            Due to the "luck of the draw", After Midnight has been chosen to sing
            FIRST for a second consecutive time at Int'l (we missed last
            year due to a work conflict). The odds of us singing FIRST twice in
            a row are 2116 to 1. In fact, our Bass, Steve McDonald, sang FIRST 2
            out of the 4 times he competed with his previous quartet, Prime
            Time. That means that he is now 4 for 6 singing FIRST in the quarter-
            finals at Int'l. Actually, it's 4 out of his last 5 appearances.
            The odds of that happening are 1,176,980 to 1. Steve is one LUCKY
            guy! (Note: All four of the members of Prime Time are competing this
            year; Bob Albacthen with Vocality and Larry and Jim Halvorsen with
            Stardust)

            After checking with Harmonet trivia/history experts and calling the
            BHS headquarters, it was agreed that we can crown ourselves "Kings of
            the FIRST Slot". So, be sure you're in your seats for our coronation
            performance.

            Oh, by the way... if the once in a lifetime/history making/coronation
            angle doesn't excite you, perhaps this will get you riled up and in
            your seats early. The first five quartets in the quarter-finals are:
            1. After Midnight (YEAH!!!)
            2. Hot Air Buffoons
            3. SEP
            4. Makin' Waves
            5. OC Times

            So, as you can see you'll definitely want to be in your seats for our
            performance, if for no other reason than to give you time to get
            comfortable, and mentally ready for what is sure to be a screamingly
            funny (and likely top 10 caliber) set from Hot Air Buffoons, followed
            by a medalist contender in SEP (who's got those beads, anyway?) then
            Makin' Waves trying to crack the top 20, and OC Times trying to stake
            their claim for the gold medal. Not to mention two more strong top
            20 contenders in The Great Nashville Singout and New Release singing
            6th and 7th, respectively.

            Oh, I've also heard an updated rumor that the BHS is trying out a new
            mic-tester format, with full show sets from both Vocal Spectrum and
            Power Play before we go on. To think that you get all of that
            excitement at no extra cost!!!

            OK... We made that last part up, but you get the point. BE IN YOUR
            SEATS at the Pepsi Center right at 11:20AM, and be part of making BHS
            history!

            Congratulations to all of the competing groups in Denver, especially
            our LOL brothers Voices Only, Vocality and Bandwagon, and the mighty
            choruses from Greendale and Minneapolis!

            Sincerely,

            After Midnight
            2005 LOL District quartet champions
            2005 & 2007 Int'l competitors