Re: After Midnight Makes Barbershop History in Denver On July 4th

  • barbershopboy
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2007
      Hi guys
      I'm still in shock and recovering from the thrill of getting top
      billing over the great Bob Sutton - but i just had to point out that :

      this also gives After Midnight and McDonald the bragging rights of
      being the highest scoring quartet and imminent BHS International
      champion quartet for those many years in a row - at least till the
      second foursome sings.

      "Hey look Ma, I'm in first place"!!!!!!!!

      Shouldn't this also mean the mic-testers name will be "Midnight" ?

      Just a suggestion.

      Congrats to the new Int'l Champs as of 11:12:13 July 4th, 2007.

      grady "king of trivia till Bob Sutton speaks" kerr

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David Bailey-Aldrich"
      <david.aldrich@...> wrote:

      > Well... Due to the "luck of the draw", After Midnight has been chosen
      > to sing FIRST for a second consecutive time at Int'l (we missed last
      > year due to a work conflict). The odds of us singing FIRST twice in
      > a row are 2116 to 1.
    • plcmat
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        I remember when there was a quartet from CAR named The Final Four.
        You guessed it, they drew the last spot in the Quarter Finals.

        I am wondering if the randomizing algorithm is biased by (a)
        alphabetical order or (b) lateness of the LOL contest every spring
        which would put LOL quartets at the end of any list in which quartets
        are listed by order of qualification.

        Steve Nester
        Sounds of Concord
        Bass, Concord eXpress
      • ENau@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
          Hi, Steve,

          The draw is a totally random draw. LOL has no disadvantage or advantage. It's just the way the names come out of the hat.

          BTW, The Final Four was the laugh of the day when it happened.

          Someone should check to see how many times Manhattan has led off the international chorus contest since 1984 in St. Louis. Seems to me they have been 1st or 2nd out of the chute quite a few times, since we're speaking of records. . . .

          Best wishes to you and all my firends in Concord. Take good care of my former chapter, please.

          Ev Nau

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, JHunna1@... wrote:
            > ... and then we (Reveille) would love to have you be there to watch
            our "sitdown dinner" - two entirely new original pieces...maybe even
            funny :-)

            Reveille qualified at the CAR prelims this spring, and I can confirm
            that their new set is EXTREMELY funny, even from my vantage point
            backstage.

            But, Joe, about all the stuff I had to sweep off of the stage
            afterward ...

            Oops, I'd better stop before I give it away.

            Ann McAlexander
            CAR Backstage Manager Sub (for husband Brad, whose new quartet came in
            second, but didn't qualify - yet!)
          • David Bailey-Aldrich
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2007
              Have you heard? Perhaps you missed my previous message about history
              in the making in Denver, so here's a gentle reminder.

              On July 4th, at 11:20AM a once in a lifetime opportunity is waiting
              for you at the Pepsi Center!

              Due to the "luck of the draw", After Midnight has been chosen to sing
              FIRST for a second consecutive time at Int'l (we missed last
              year due to a work conflict). The odds of us singing FIRST twice in
              a row are 2116 to 1. In fact, our Bass, Steve McDonald, sang FIRST 2
              out of the 4 times he competed with his previous quartet, Prime
              Time. That means that he is now 4 for 6 singing FIRST in the quarter-
              finals at Int'l. Actually, it's 4 out of his last 5 appearances.
              The odds of that happening are 1,176,980 to 1. Steve is one LUCKY
              guy! (Note: All four of the members of Prime Time are competing this
              year; Bob Albacthen with Vocality and Larry and Jim Halvorsen with
              Stardust)

              After checking with Harmonet trivia/history experts and calling the
              BHS headquarters, it was agreed that we can crown ourselves "Kings of
              the FIRST Slot". So, be sure you're in your seats for our coronation
              performance.

              Oh, by the way... if the once in a lifetime/history making/coronation
              angle doesn't excite you, perhaps this will get you riled up and in
              your seats early. The first five quartets in the quarter-finals are:
              1. After Midnight (YEAH!!!)
              2. Hot Air Buffoons
              3. SEP
              4. Makin' Waves
              5. OC Times

              So, as you can see you'll definitely want to be in your seats for our
              performance, if for no other reason than to give you time to get
              comfortable, and mentally ready for what is sure to be a screamingly
              funny (and likely top 10 caliber) set from Hot Air Buffoons, followed
              by a medalist contender in SEP (who's got those beads, anyway?) then
              Makin' Waves trying to crack the top 20, and OC Times trying to stake
              their claim for the gold medal. Not to mention two more strong top
              20 contenders in The Great Nashville Singout and New Release singing
              6th and 7th, respectively.

              Oh, I've also heard an updated rumor that the BHS is trying out a new
              mic-tester format, with full show sets from both Vocal Spectrum and
              Power Play before we go on. To think that you get all of that
              excitement at no extra cost!!!

              OK... We made that last part up, but you get the point. BE IN YOUR
              SEATS at the Pepsi Center right at 11:20AM, and be part of making BHS
              history!

              Congratulations to all of the competing groups in Denver, especially
              our LOL brothers Voices Only, Vocality and Bandwagon, and the mighty
              choruses from Greendale and Minneapolis!

              Sincerely,

              After Midnight
              2005 LOL District quartet champions
              2005 & 2007 Int'l competitors