Re: Fwd: [bbshop] Jim Casey next to last update

  • harleygnuya
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2007
      Sad for us in the Barbershop world, but not sad for Jim, whose
      suffering is now over. Just think of who he'll be singing with now.

      Years ago, I took voice lessons from Jim, and he was one of the
      finest vocal instructors I ever knew. And, one of the nicest people,
      too.

      One evening I showed up for my lesson, and there were these three
      other guys over there. Obviously, they had been rehearsing. Being
      new to Barbershop back then, I didn't recognize them, and when I
      asked if they were forming a quartet, they smiled kindly at me and
      said, we're Side Street Ramblers. This was during the time that Jim
      filled in as their Lead. I was, of course, quite embarrased, but
      they let me off the hook very easy.

      For years I've held him up as my example of what a quartet lead
      should be. No screaming tags. No flashy choreography. He just
      stood up there, this big man full of love of the song, and sang -
      just sang - the heck out of the song. With his big and unbelievably
      beautiful voice, he made us in the audience love the music as much as
      he did.

      That's what it takes - and all it takes. And he had it in
      abundance. I know Jim is in good company now. God bless you.

      -Ken Zahrt
      Tenor - Flashback Quartet
      Tenor - Diamond State Chorus