Bike-A-Thon update #2

  • Christopher Baker
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Bart Van de Mark is bicycling his way to the Sunshine District Spring
      Convention [250 miles from his house]. He left his home early Monday
      morning and arrived in New Smyrna Beach at 2:30 p.m. today.

      He'll be coming to our {Surfside Chorus} Chapter meeting tonight and
      then he's off to St. Augustine on Wednesday and hoping for
      Jacksonville by Thursday afternoon/evening.

      Bart is cycling to raise money for Harmony Explosion Camp
      scholarships. He's still taking pledges. Here's a repeat of his plan:

      "I'm going to pedal my bicycle to Jacksonville from St. Lucie County
      for the 2007 Spring Convention. Again. The trip expenses will come
      out of my pocket. It's a four day trip of about 250 miles. And I
      ain't gettin' younger. So this year, I thought I'd provide myself
      some incentive by raising scholarship money for kids to attend
      Harmony Explosion or for their parents to attend Sizzle. Sort of a
      one man "bike-a-thong". Except I'll be wearing bike shorts. No
      pictures, please.

      "I'm also doing it to generate local interest in the Society and what
      we're about on the part of singing youth of all ages and their mentors.

      "I'm asking that you back my trip at 10c / mile for a single share.
      That comes to $25.00. If I can convince six people to participate,
      that'd be one scholarship. Pretty good. But six or eight scholarships
      would be better, huh? The scholarships would be available to any kid
      in the state.

      "If you are inclined to give the kids some help on this, please write
      your checks to Sunshine District and note on that little line down
      below that it's for Harmony Explosion Bike-a-Thong. Mail it off to:

      Don Long
      Sunshine District Treasurer
      3921 Applegate Circle
      Brandon, FL 33511.

      "In return, I will thank you warmly and personally autograph your
      bike shorts. Cleaned and pressed, of course."

      -30-

      I'll let you know how he's doing.

      Thanks, for contributing to this worthwhile effort.

      KTWWS!
      Christopher

      Director, Marketing & P.R.
      Sunshine District
      Barbershop Harmony Society

      FUN-290-3452

      Sunshine District Association of Chapters of the Barbershop Harmony
      Society is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization

      http://www.sunshinedistrict.org

      Have you been to the Sunshine District MegaStore?

      http://www.cafepress.com/sunshinebbs

      Yahoo ID: cbaker84
      ICQ #7176473