The Streak is Over

  • Brent Graham
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
      Unless there are a raft of wildcards, an amazing streak came to an end
      this past weekend in Peoria, IL. Audacity, from the FWD, came up short
      in their bid to qualify for International in Denver. This ends a streak
      of 27 STRAIGHT appearances on the quartet stage for their baritone,
      Fraser Brown, which includes a 4th and 5th place medal (SRO), along
      with a number of Top Ten finishes.

      Fraser is an amazing singer, arranger and Barbershopper, but more than
      that, he is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known. I consider
      it a privilege to have competed against his quartets, to have sung his
      arrangements, and just to have hung out with him and sing tags.

      We all should give a "standing O" to this remarkable accomplishment.

      In Harmony,
      Brent Graham
    • Bill Kane
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
        What a nice tribute. I'll pass this on to the chapter. Thanks for saying
        so well what we all feel about Fraser. Any wonder we are soooo proud of
        this guy?

        Bill Kane, Founding President
        Greater Phoenix Chapter
        Spirit of Phoenix Chorus

        >From: "Brent Graham" <thebl00per@...>
        >To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [bbshop] The Streak is Over
        >Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:54:18 -0000
        >
        >Unless there are a raft of wildcards, an amazing streak came to an end
        >this past weekend in Peoria, IL. Audacity, from the FWD, came up short
        >in their bid to qualify for International in Denver. This ends a streak
        >of 27 STRAIGHT appearances on the quartet stage for their baritone,
        >Fraser Brown, which includes a 4th and 5th place medal (SRO), along
        >with a number of Top Ten finishes.
        >
        >Fraser is an amazing singer, arranger and Barbershopper, but more than
        >that, he is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known. I consider
        >it a privilege to have competed against his quartets, to have sung his
        >arrangements, and just to have hung out with him and sing tags.
        >
        >We all should give a "standing O" to this remarkable accomplishment.
        >
        >In Harmony,
        >Brent Graham

      • T
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
          Hats off to Fraser. I watched most of those 27 performances. Good solid
          barbershop always. Even DiMaggio ended his streak at 56. He'll be back - Tom
          Campbell
        • T
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
            Isn't he dead?

            If you're speaking of Dimaggio, yes - 8 years ago. Fraser s still alive and presumably kicking.

          • Jack W. Martin
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
              I also have witnessed most of those 27 performances. I recall maybe
              in the early 80's when Fraser came on stage in a wheel chair and
              performed and in subsequent years he was on crutches, then two canes
              then one cane and a free standing ICON of Barbershop in later years.
              Fraser was a wonderful lead singer that never let it go
              un-noticed that he was the melody singer and in charge of what was
              happening on stage.

              So maybe he is singing bari now! Get a life!

              The break in the streak has no diminishing effect on Fraser's past
              quartet achievements.

              He was also no slouch when it came to chorus directing.

              I am sure you are right Tom, that "Fraser will be back!"

              In hamony
              Jack Martin

              On 4/24/07, T <topcat@...> wrote:
              > Hats off to Fraser. I watched most of those 27 performances. Good solid
              > barbershop always. Even DiMaggio ended his streak at 56. He'll be back - Tom
              > Campbell
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Alan Gordon
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 27, 2007
                --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Graham" <thebl00per@...> wrote:

                > Unless there are a raft of wildcards, an amazing streak came to an
                end
                > this past weekend in Peoria, IL. Audacity, from the FWD, came up
                short
                > in their bid to qualify for International in Denver. This ends a
                streak
                > of 27 STRAIGHT appearances on the quartet stage for their
                baritone,
                > Fraser Brown, which includes a 4th and 5th place medal (SRO),
                along
                > with a number of Top Ten finishes.

                (snip)

                This was posted to me through a chapter mailing list, and my
                response was in kind. I have been encouraged to share my response
                back to the Harmonet, and I agree that Fraser and the group deserves
                the more public complements.

                I'll preface my response by stating, simply, that these kind of
                streaks are rather rare and impressive to begin with (my own basso's
                30 appearances is still mind-boggling). For Fraser to have
                continued this streak through such physical setbacks is beyond
                inspirational. As an FWD guy, I can't describe how LITTLE Fraser,
                himself, focuses on that aspect. But I can be witness to how many
                people in the Society are inspired by his "just another guy"
                approach to the whole deal.

                Another side note... if we have 4 wild cards, the streak might NOT
                be over. And 4 isn't out of possibility, either!

                Following is my response to the chpater list, edited to remove
                chapter-related fluff...

                "If I may add to that...

                I had the privilege of practicing the ILL contest last weekend, and
                also the privilege of giving "Audacity" their evaluation not long
                after they missed the cut.

                They were VERY new as a unit, and the basic rundown of their contest
                was that their ballads were very worthy of 76 and above scores, but
                the uptunes weren't quite there. The 74.9 illustrates how close
                they were.

                But in their evals, I can say they were just about as positive, if
                not BETTER, than many quartets who had MAKE THE CUT. Apparently,
                they will be eligible for Seniors next year (maybe this year... they
                are trying to find clarity for the "date of age" that determines
                eligibility). If that is the case, they will certainly be a power
                to be reckoned with.

                Also, they weren't too far off the regular cut to begin with, so
                they may be able to be the first Seniors Quartet to also compete at
                International with a little fine-tuning.

                To reiterate Brent's point, though, Fraser was the grandest
                gentleman of all, and didn't even seem phased at the hullabaloo
                around the end of the streak. He simply wanted to know how to get
                better...

                For NEXT year!

                What an animal!!!!!"

                Cheers, gang! And raise a glass for Fraser Brown!

                Alan
                gotchabari@...
              • Tim McEvilly
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2007
                  Alan,
                  I'm glad that you shared this, because I was also present at the Illinois District International Prelims contest that weekend, and I felt that Audacity might have been "robbed". Of course, I don't have the training that a judge has, but I usually score each song (all 3 categories at once) on a scale of 100. I am frequently close to the judges' average score, but it's primarily based on Singing, secondarily on Presentation. I'm not qualified to assign a Music score, except that I think I know "traditional" barbershop when I hear it. I don't have my scores for Audacity handy right now, but I believe that I gave them an average of about 77. Your explanation that their ballads were "very worthy of 76 and above scores, but the uptunes weren't quite there" is probably a good example of how the "amateur judge" (aka, "Monday morning quarterback") doesn't see the whole picture. I'm sure that I tend to give a quartet the benefit of the doubt: if their ballad knocks my socks off, I'm probably more generous with their uptune score.
                  I have admired Fraser Brown since I returned to barbershop in 1996, after a 15-year layoff. I don't go to International very often, but I went to Indianapolis in 1997, and I'm sure that I saw Fraser perform there. However, I was way up in the "cheap seats", so I probably didn't appreciate Fraser's performance as much then as I did 10 days ago. In Peoria, I saw Fraser from as close as the 4th row, center, and I was especially impressed with his emotional intensity. It's obvious that the man sings "from the heart", and that's worth a lot more to me than a technically superior performance that seems to have contrived emotions.

                  Tim McEvilly
                  Illinois District