Re: [bbshop] Solve a puzzle

  • plumbbari@cs.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
      In a message dated 4/4/2007 6:36:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      walterdods@... writes:
      > I have in my collection a plastic disc with the SPEBSQSA logo about 3"
      > across with a brass ring through it. On the reverse side is printed:
      >
      > "Champions"
      >
      > AREA 11
      >
      > 1953

      Walter:

      Back in the '50s and '60s, when the Society was growing and each District was
      forming its own structure, several Districts grouped chapters in "Sections."
      These groups resembled today's Division structure, which, in fact, they
      became, when our headquarters reorganized the Society structure in the late '60s.

      "Sections" held their own contests, some of which qualified groups to go on
      to District competition, some of which were local championships. They were not
      all alike, by a long shot, but they flourished because they enabled local
      rivalries to form and for close-together chapters (clubs) to be active together.

      This medal from a California "section" sounds typical of the kind of local
      award that would have been presented in 1053.

      Steve Plumb
      50-year Society member
      Possessed of a clear memory of "olden" days, wishing I knew where my car keys
      are &8>)

    • Sam Sloane
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
        Steve,

        You've been around a long time if you can remember the year 1053!

        Sam

        _____

        walterdods@btintern <mailto:walterdods%40btinternet.com> et.com writes:
        > I have in my collection a plastic disc with the SPEBSQSA logo about 3"
        > across with a brass ring through it. On the reverse side is printed:
        >
        > "Champions"
        >
        > AREA 11
        >
        > 1953

        Walter:

        Back in the '50s and '60s, when the Society was growing and each District
        was
        forming its own structure, several Districts grouped chapters in "Sections."

        These groups resembled today's Division structure, which, in fact, they
        became, when our headquarters reorganized the Society structure in the late
        '60s.

        "Sections" held their own contests, some of which qualified groups to go on
        to District competition, some of which were local championships. They were
        not
        all alike, by a long shot, but they flourished because they enabled local
        rivalries to form and for close-together chapters (clubs) to be active
        together.

        This medal from a California "section" sounds typical of the kind of local
        award that would have been presented in 1053.

        Steve Plumb
        50-year Society member
        Possessed of a clear memory of "olden" days, wishing I knew where my car
        keys
        are &8>)

      • Shelley Herman
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
          > From: "Sam Sloane" <sed@...>
          > Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 19:55:08 -0400
          > To: <plumbbari@...>, <walterdods@...>, <bbshop@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: RE: [bbshop] Solve a puzzle
          >
          > Steve,
          >
          > You've been around a long time if you can remember the year 1053!
          >
          > Sam

          Like it was yesterday.....But I don't remember yesterday! ;-)

          Apropos this week- One of the benefits of growing old is that you can hide
          your own Easter eggs!

          Shelley Herman
          saherman@...
        • Allan Webb
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
            As any of the old timers will tell you, Barbershop started going
            downhill after the Norman conquest 13 years later...

            Allan

            --
            -------------
            Allan Webb
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
              Thank you to everyone for their assistance.

              I think this piece of Barbershop history deserves to be in the hands of a
              historian.

              Would any suitable person please get in touch and I shall gladly pass this
              medal on to them.

              Now, the "1053" question?

              That might explain why the French don't Barbershop. Not a lot of people know
              that King Harold, the Saxon is well known as to have founded the first
              Barbershop Society in the world in 1053 known as the "Society for the
              Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in Saxon,
              England" or as it was known as SPEBSQSE. This so irritate William the
              Norman, back in Normandy that some Saxon had beat him to it, that he bided
              his time and 13 years later he invaded the SPEBSQSE convention with his own
              chorus.

              The Saxons were unprepared for the arrival of a chorus of that size from
              France as up to this time William had only promoted the forming of
              quartettes. This resulted in groups of young men, normally in fours hanging
              around street corners waiting for someone to come along and compose the
              first popular song so that they could woodshed the harmonies.

              William and his chorus decided to stay in England and he outlawed young men
              gathering together in groups of four. French women were so outraged at his
              decision that they swore an oath never to shave again.

              Walter Dods

              Lead

              Life's A Pitch Quartet

              &
              The Rolling Hills Chorus, British Assocation of Barbershop Singers

              &

              The Chorus of the Chesapeake, Dundalk Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony
              Society

              Former Lead

              Celtic Connection Winners of the Inaugural BABS Scratch Quartet Contest

              Former Tenor, Lead & Bass

              Easy Street Quartet

              Former Tenor

              Borderline Quartet

              _____

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                One would get the impression you don't think much of the French.
                Oh well, at least you're not still fighting the Colonies.
                I noticed when we were on your side of the Atlantic River that the dustup
                in 1776 has been expunged from your military history. For some reason,
                1812 still exists, at least to the extent of burning The Whitehouse.

                Bob Patterson, Bari
                Tortilla Flats
                who have decided to take Metropolis' place in contest this year.
                Oh! Did we miss international prelims again?

                > Thank you to everyone for their assistance.
                >

                > I think this piece of Barbershop history deserves to be in the hands of a
                > historian.
                >

                > Would any suitable person please get in touch and I shall gladly pass this
                > medal on to them.
                >

                > Now, the "1053" question?
                >

                > That might explain why the French don't Barbershop. Not a lot of people
                > know
                > that King Harold, the Saxon is well known as to have founded the first
                > Barbershop Society in the world in 1053 known as the "Society for the
                > Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in Saxon,
                > England" or as it was known as SPEBSQSE. This so irritate William the
                > Norman, back in Normandy that some Saxon had beat him to it, that he bided
                > his time and 13 years later he invaded the SPEBSQSE convention with his
                > own
                > chorus.
                >

                > The Saxons were unprepared for the arrival of a chorus of that size from
                > France as up to this time William had only promoted the forming of
                > quartettes. This resulted in groups of young men, normally in fours
                > hanging
                > around street corners waiting for someone to come along and compose the
                > first popular song so that they could woodshed the harmonies.
                >

                > William and his chorus decided to stay in England and he outlawed young
                > men
                > gathering together in groups of four. French women were so outraged at his
                > decision that they swore an oath never to shave again.
                >

                > Walter Dods
                >
                > Lead
                >
                > Life's A Pitch Quartet
                >
                > &
                > The Rolling Hills Chorus, British Assocation of Barbershop Singers
                >
                > &
                >
                > The Chorus of the Chesapeake, Dundalk Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony
                > Society
                >

                > Former Lead
                >
                > Celtic Connection Winners of the Inaugural BABS Scratch Quartet Contest
                >

                > Former Tenor, Lead & Bass
                >
                > Easy Street Quartet
                >

                > Former Tenor
                >
                > Borderline Quartet
                >

                > _____

              • David Baker
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                  > That might explain why the French don't Barbershop.
                  > Not a lot of people know that King Harold, the Saxon
                  > is well known as to have founded the first
                  Barbershop
                  > Society in the world in 1053 known as the "Society
                  > for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop
                  > Quartet Singing in Saxon, England" or as it was
                  known
                  > as SPEBSQSE.

                  The rest of the story is even less well known. Society
                  historians will tell you that SPEBSQSE drifted further
                  and further from Saxon harmonic traditions over the
                  next century and a half. The society was much
                  criticized for its permissiveness in allowing more and
                  more influences from "continental a cappella" out of
                  Normandy and even hairier places in Europe.

                  Then, in 1215, a group of KIBber nobles forced King
                  John and his chorus to sing the Magna Charta (or
                  "great chart," which -- not surprisingly -- was
                  arranged by David Wright), during the International
                  contest at Runnymede. However, the King's Chorus was
                  disqualified almost immediately when a music judge
                  noticed that the lyrics of the opening verses (which
                  were in Latin) repeatedly invoked the name of deity.

                  Dave Baker

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                • JHunna1@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                    In a message dated 4/5/2007 12:21:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    equinoxtenor@... writes:

                    However, the King's Chorus was
                    disqualified almost immediately when a music judge
                    noticed that the lyrics of the opening verses (which
                    were in Latin) repeatedly invoked the name of deity.

                    Dave Baker

                    I will point out a factual error here. Just as in modern times, the
                    responsibility for whether a song is religious or not was the responsibility of ye
                    olde Presentation judge, not Music. Of course the penalty for disqualification
                    was to burn the perpetrators at the stake. Thus creating the saying " I was
                    burned by the judges again"

                    Joe Hunter
                    Presentation Category Specialist
                    Just Trying to Set the Record Straight

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                      In a message dated 4/5/07 10:38:02 AM, JHunna1@... writes:

                      > I will point out a factual error here. Just as in modern times, the
                      > responsibility for whether a song is religious or not was the responsibility
                      > of ye
                      > olde Presentation judge, not Music.

                      Uh . . . . maybe this was an early example of Ye Common Ground?

                      (8^D)

                      Dick Johnson
                      Great Falls, MT

                    • Chris Slacke
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, JHunna1@... wrote:

                        >Of course the penalty for disqualification
                        > was to burn the perpetrators at the stake.
                        >Thus creating the saying " I was
                        > burned by the judges again"
                        >
                        > Joe Hunter
                        > Presentation Category Specialist
                        > Just Trying to Set the Record Straight

                        Me thinks t'would be but a Phoenician could speake thusly?

                        Chris
                      • jed3713@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                          Chris...Whadaya crazy??? They're from Noo Yawk and dey are VENICIANS. So
                          dey act like dey are Eyetralians. Jus look at the soots!!! Jethro
                        • Chris Slacke
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
                            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, jed3713@... wrote:

                            > Chris...Whadaya crazy??? They're from Noo Yawk and dey are VENICIANS.
                            So
                            > dey act like dey are Eyetralians. Jus look at the soots!!! Jethro

                            Well, 'burned again' was my Phoenetic impulse, J-low.

                            But Mr. Dods period 2 HOTW1 class was quite inspiring.

                            Chris
                          • Djbqpa@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
                              In a message dated 4/6/07 7:42:19 AM, saherman@... writes:

                              > One of the benefits of growing old is that you can hide
                              > your own Easter eggs!

                              My Dad used to say, "One of the advantages of Alzheimer's is -
                              you get to meet brand new people every day!"

                              Dick Johnson
                              Great Falls, MT