Re: [bbshop] Gangsta Shop Quartet (BBS in the media in general)

  • Brian Miller
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2007
      This gangstashop piece from MadTV has been around for nearly ten years. I thought it was hysterical then, and I think it is even funnier seeing it again today.

      I was singing in a quartet in the FWD when I first saw this bit. I told my quartet buddies about it and we would use this as part of our private rehersal routine just to amuze ourselves.

      Great stuff, all of it -- and thanks for sharing the other UTube links.

      Brian Miller
      Alexandria, VA

      #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A5CEXiSL3A
      #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLkigmWTvFU
      #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdq2pl-bDP8
      #4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv9qYW_kW5c
      #5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjJingFYUM
      #6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v145gCcedFs
      #7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIwjEIYRhQU

      "Family Guy" has used a barbershop quartet joke more than once. They had a clip in one episode
      where they joked about one character entering a talent show to do his impression of a barbershop
      quartet, then they showed him walking around in the striped vest and straw hat singing all 4 parts
      by himself. They had an episode where a barbershop quartet sang a song about vasectomies when one
      character was considering one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-VOg_V_3x4) They had another
      episode where a character mentions how bad he is at delivering bad news, then it shows him
      singing, with a barbershop quartet, to a patient in the hospital to break the news to him that he
      has HIV. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxFyjtbXMI0)

      There was a snack food commercial trying to put across that their product was "twisted", so they
      had a barbershop quartet sing a song about how they'd beat you up if you tried to take their
      snacks away.

      There's a comedy group in Cleveland who does a skit where they are a "racist barbershop quartet"
      I'm not even going to bother posting a link to that one.

      There was an old Sesame Street "barbershop quartet" appearance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUD0TBqf4xM