Re: [bbshop] Lloyd Steinkamp

  • Phil Richards
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 3, 2007
      Cliff Steinkamp reports that his Dad passed away 20 minutes ago. He and
      his family will be grateful for any condolences that are offered.
      Further details to follow.
    • bearwest
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2007
        Phil Richards notifies us:
        Cliff Steinkamp reports that his Dad passed away 20 minutes ago. He and
        his family will be grateful for any condolences that are offered.
        Further details to follow.

        It's cold California morning out here on the coast...thought about getting
        'out there' for a round of golf this morning.
        Got up and fed the cat, turned on the computer to see 'what's new' in the
        world...checked the local weather forecast...then punched up the Harmonet
        and read Phil's notice, only a few minutes after he posted it.
        Lloyd is gone. Another distant friend for over 50 years joins the big
        chorus...probably greeted on the 'other side' by Val, Burt and many peers of
        his day. Sad in lot's of ways, yet inevitable for all of us at some point,
        however truly a life to celebrate. I hope lot's of wonderful memories pour
        into the Steinkamp clan thru this or other mediums. Lloyd was super
        talented, very giving of himself, and one who had a huge heart. It would be
        great to hear from The Western Continentals, and that chorus in England
        where Lloyd coached for a while...I believe there was even a video made of
        that adventure? Lloyd touched so many lives in our hobby...I for one look
        forward to reading from some of those folks who were blest by Lloyds
        talents, friendship and humor. The Dessert Knight is now riding the Purple
        Sage...and probably having a ball.
        Bye for now Lloyd, God Bless, and see ya soon.

        bear

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Tom Schleier
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2007
          1988 - San Antonio.
          I was competing in my first competition with the Phoenicians.
          I ate something that didn't agree with me on Thursday, and started pooping blood about every 15 minutes.
          I went on stage on Saturday, performed, and just about messed up my uniform before I found a restroom.
          We made the top 6, so we had to perform again.
          This time I couldn't save the uniform. Luckily, I was in the third row, so nobody but those in the fourth row saw the growing red spot.
          When the curtain went down I was smiling, but immediately collapsed and had to be taken back to the hotel in a wheelchair.
          We got a bronze medal. Sunday morning we had to check out of the hotel.
          Lloyd got wind of all this and told somebody else to check me out and that I was to be put in his and Judy's suite and lay in bed until I needed to get to the airport. He and Judy offered to stay with me and take me to see a doctor here if I needed that, and change their plane reservations so I wouldn't be alone. My buddy Greg Lewis wheeled me to an urgent care and they dismissed it as a popped hemorrhoid.
          Lloyd made sure I got on the bus and onto the plane for the trip home. He checked on me often during the flight.
          My wife picked me up and went to a hospital and stayed for a week. They couldn't find the cause.

          I thanked him many times for that kindness, but he never wanted the thanks.

          Tom Schleier

[...]

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;
          }
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          padding-top:10px;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar{
          clear:both;
          margin:25px 0;
          white-space:nowrap;
          color:#666;
          text-align:right;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;
          white-space:nowrap;
          }
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          padding:15px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-ft{
          font-family:verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          border-top:1px solid #666;
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;
          }

          #ygrp-vital{
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          font-size:77%;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#333;
          text-transform:uppercase;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;
          margin:2px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          list-style-type:none;
          clear:both;
          border:1px solid #e0ecee;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#ff7900;
          float:right;
          width:2em;
          text-align:right;
          padding-right:.5em;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;
          }
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration:none;
          }

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          padding:6px 13px;
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          list-style-type:square;
          padding:6px 0;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;
          font-size:130%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          background-color:#eee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:0 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          font-family:Arial;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#628c2a;
          font-size:100%;
          line-height:122%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;
          }
          o {font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal {
          margin:0 0 0 0;
          }
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;
          }
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq {margin:4;}
          -->

        • John Elving
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2007
            I will always remember my introduction to Lloyd. I was a one-year member of the society when suddenly thrust into the role of director in the Evergreen District, Coos Bay Chapter. I was invited to go to COTS, and the director's track. Lloyd was the dean of the school, but he was also suddenly thrust into the role of teaching a large group of direcctors in attendance. To say it was a wonderful experience would be an understatement.

            However, the most memorable part of the weekend was a scheme cooked up by Lloyd to get the attention of all the chapter officers. During one of the last general sessions of the weekend, Lloyd called on all the presidents that the directors had something special for them. We all stood up, turned to the presidents, and handed them our resignations. People didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Lloyd went on to explain, but it did get everyone's attention.

            SIng-cerely & Humm-bly,

            John Elving
            Shrine of Democracy Chorus
            Rapid City, SD
          • Walter Latzko
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
              My everlasting memory of Lloyd's funny shenanigans dates back to 1970,
              when we went to the first arrangement category meeting in Racine, WI.
              Lloyd was writing one of his daily reports on the goings one, in which
              he referred to mild mannered me as "Dirtymouth Latzko." If it weren't
              for the "honor", I might have been offended! God love Lloyd and all he
              meant to that great Society of ours. We will certainly miss him!

              My best to Judy on this sad occasion!

              Walter Latzko
            • Bruce
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
                Here's an article definitely worth looking back on.

                What does the number 173 have to do with Lloyd, and who in the heck are
                the Salt River Beachcombers? It's all here.

                http://www.bhsfwd.org/Directory/Dedication1998Fall.html

                I will miss him more than words can describe.

                Bruce Sellnow
                bsellnow@...
                FWD Coordinator for
                Lloyd's High School Quartet Contest
              • Andy Isbell
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Through several steps this came to me for posting...

                  Sent: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:28 PM
                  Subject: For Lloyd

                  Circa 1985 after being a Society Fieled Rep and directing the
                  Scottsdale Chapter for years, with Russ Young by the way, Lloyd
                  returned to his Phoenix Chapter as an active singing member and earned
                  two Intl medals with the Phoenicians before moving on to San Diego.

                  During the course of months and years that passed, I will never, ever
                  forget a Phoenician Oktoberfest held out at Old McDonalds Farm in
                  north Scottsdale past Pinnacle Peak Rd. Of course, I was a lowly
                  patrolman at the time and that was my lone area of patrol. With the
                  help of Mike Laurel, I lay in wait for Lloyd and Judy to drive by in
                  their VW Van. The plan was for me to stop Lloyd and scare him the best
                  I could. The stars couldn't have aligned better!

                  The time came and Lloyd and Judy drove by. I pulled out and had to
                  maneuver through traffic to catch up to them. I had to get to them in
                  time before they turned off into the farm, so I hit my lights and
                  siren and made everyone get out of the way so I could catch up to
                  them. I did and Lloyd pulled over in what seemed like panic. As a
                  good barbershopper story would go, there happened to be an ambulance
                  coming the other direction with lights and siren on at the same time
                  and Lloyd had a martini in his lap. I found out later that they had 2
                  passengers with them; Howard Messecher (former Interp Judge) and his
                  wife from Calif.

                  With all of this chaos, lights, sirens, a flying martini and being
                  pulled over, Lloyd tossed the martini out over his shoulder spritzing
                  Mr and Mrs Messecher! I got out of my patrol car and Lloyd exited, of
                  course not having a clue it was me. I was yelling orders and he was
                  saying, "Yes sir, yes sir.." with a flashlight in his face. Once
                  close enough, I simply said, "I'm here to escort you to the party, Mr.
                  Steinkamp." Well, I think he had some kind of sudden bodily function
                  when he recognized me, almost collapsed, a few choice words and then
                  what seemed like an eternity of belly laughter between us all; Howard
                  and his wife actually receiving the best of it! Of course, we all got
                  to the party at the farm safe and sound.

                  This is one of those gems of a story that will never be forgotten and
                  will go down in the annals of Phoenician, Phoenix Chapter and Uncle
                  Lloyd history as one of the best 'gotch-ya's' in the world!

                  Now you know the story. This is how the term SgtBlood was coined...by
                  Lloyd, and I wasn't even a Sergeant yet! I have maintined it with
                  pride and it will stand as my email screen name forever. When I was
                  promoted to Sergeant years later, Lloyd said, "See, I told you so!"

                  Thank you Lloyd for all the memories, love and helping me first get
                  interested in the judging program way back in 1989. God blesses those
                  who blesses others. You are with HIM, Lloyd. Thank you my friend!
                  Randy C Stringfellow, aka "SGTBLOOD"
                  PRS
                  Spirit of Phoenix Chorus
                • Andy Isbell
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
                    Posting for Jim Graham, brother of Paul Graham...

                    Jimmy...Here is the letter I sent Lloyd just a few days before he
                    passed away...
                    Pablo
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 9, 2007
                      I wanted to wait to tell this story because I had to try and get over
                      the shock of losing a great friend. I'm sure everyone who ever met
                      this great Champion of Barbershop has a story to tell of Lloyd's
                      generosity, humor, and friendship. My story begins at the 1991
                      Southern California COTS, and our friendship continued until our loss.
                      I had just returned from the Persian Gulf War, having been medivac'ed
                      out through Germany for trying to catch a Scud Missile (that's another
                      story in itself).

                      I was the newly elected Membership VP for the old Saddleback Valley
                      Chapter (now Irvine Chapter). Lloyd was the MC for the General
                      Sessions and in one of the sessions, we were to be entertained by one
                      of the registered Quartets who were in attendance. When it became
                      time for them to perform, the Bass needed to use the facilities.
                      Lloyd had to fill in some time in order to cover for him.

                      Lloyd started telling the joke about the English Pilot that got shot
                      down over Germany during the war. The pilot's leg was severely
                      injured and the German Doctor had to amputate his leg. The Pilot
                      asked that his leg be sent back to England so that it could be buried
                      on his home soil. The Doctor said he had to ask the Kommandant for
                      permission but that he saw no problem. Well the joke went on and on
                      for about (15) minutes because of the way that Lloyd liked to stretch
                      the moment. Just as he was getting to the punch line, I couldn't take
                      it any longer and yelled out, "Ain't that Bass back yet?" Well you
                      could have heard a pin drop for about 3 - 5 seconds, then the whole
                      room erupted into a fit of laughter that stopped Lloyd in his tracks.
                      I believe it was the first time Lloyd was speechless for over 5
                      seconds. After the General Session, I went up to Lloyd and wanted to
                      apologize for the interruption. He wouldn't think of it. He said
                      that it was probably the best moment of his time there at COTS. We
                      became good friends after that, even though I only got to see him at
                      Barbershop functions, he always remembered me because of that one time .

                      I last saw Lloyd at last year's Reno convention and he gave me one of
                      his famous hugs and always had kind words for everyone. I will surely
                      miss his humor, friendship, and kindness. There will never be another
                      Lloyd Steinkamp, but we can honor him forever by always remembering
                      what he gave to each of us - a sense of excitement in this hobby of ours.

                      God Speed Lloyd.

                      Dennis Johnson
                      GySgt, USMC Retired
                    • John Porter
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 11, 2007
                        As a teenager, I had first met Lloyd Steinkamp in 1974 after a chapter show in Phoenix. As I was leaving the show, I noticed this charismatic personality thanking people for attending and telling them that he hoped to see them again at next years performance.

                        As I was heading for the door, I was stopped by this same man (Lloyd) who wanted know my thoughts regarding the show and if I had ever thought of joining the SPEBSQSA. But before I could reply, Lloyd, ever the salesman, began pitching me on the benefits of joining him in a unique singing fraternity.

                        Eight years later, I found myself singing along side the man who over the course of time became my friend and mentor. Lloyd in every sense of the word was a true friend, not just to me but to all who knew him. His humor will be forever remembered as razor sharp and often times twisted (especially when it involved his dentures, but that’s another movie)

                        I truly believe we will best remember “Uncle Lloyd” not just for what he said and how well he said it, but what he stood for.

                        The poet Sophocles wrote, 'One must wait until the evening to see how splendid the day has been.' We can all take comfort in knowing that in the evening of his life, Lloyd Steinkamp could look back and see that the day he had, was indeed splendid.

                        May God Bless you and your family.

                        - John, Ellen, Emily and Rachel Porter