distributing learning recordings on web site

  • Joe Roan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hello, After a conversation with Joe Lyles, I was asked to clarify the regulations, which I referenced at...
      http://www.barbershop.org/web/groups/public/documents/pages/pub_cb_00050.hcsp
      There is a paragraph which says...
      --from web page--
      Another simple, legal way to create a part-tape is to have your section leader or other strong singer sing directly into your hand-held recorder during
      a chorus rehearsal. So long as it is clearly a part-predominant tape, not a balanced, full-sounding recording, you need not pay a royalty. Please note
      that you cannot duplicate that tape, but several individuals may record simultaneously.
      --end of web page paragraph--

      Please note this doesn't mean you can post these learning recordings on a web site and avoid fees. Indeed, you can not even duplicate these recordings, without paying copyright fees, but you may loan them to members. In our chorus, many members do not use these recordings, so we felt that if we made recordings for loan, a member could borrow it until he learned the song. Still others could purchase a copy for themselves. No one, was forced to buy a recording, and chorus funds weren't used to purchase the copyright. I think as time goes by, members will readily accept the chorus spending funds on recordings, as they readily accept the purchase of music, but to some this is still a new idea and we are just trying to be as flexible as we can, while staying within the law. This is a complex subject, but Joe Lyles is the best one to talk to about the best method for you.
      Joe Roan