My Lloyd Steinkamp story

  • Tom Schleier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
      OK,
      Here is mine.

      Lloyd is one of the naturally funniest guys I ever met. Nobody is quicker.
      The Phoenicians were performing "The Making Of A Champion" for their annual show, which has vignettes and small chorus spots of the Phoenicians' rise to fame from 1943 to their first chorus gold medal.

      I was a member of the Salt River Beach Combers. Our director was the inevitable (or inimitable or whatever) Lloyd Steinkamp. Our schtick was we were singing "In The Shade Of The Old Apple Tree" and a bee was buzzing each of us and we had to react. I was next to the end of the front row, and Dr. Dan Wilson was on the end. At the close of the song, with Lloyd facing the audience for the last chord, Dan was to spray the bee with an old pump insect sprayer, and I was supposed to stomp it dead when it hit the ground. Dan and I thought it would be fun to "get" Lloyd. So I got a starter pistol for the last performance of the set; and when it came time to kill the bee, I shot it with the starter pistol. LLODY DIDN'T EVEN FLINCH! What a showman.

      Love you Lloyd,

      Tom Schleier
      Phoenicians Phront Row.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
        The only connection to BBShop this story contains is the time and the
        place of the event. It occurred during the very first Harmony College
        in Racine, WI, where some of us were gathered to try to qualify for
        Judges under the (old) New ARR category. In that group were two
        of my most favorite funny people - Freddie King and Unkalloyd.

        After the late session on the first or second day, the group gathered
        in the Rec. room for an R&R meeting. Very soon after the beginning
        I happened to recite one of my favorite Limericks. That began what
        turned out to be about an hour of nonstop Limerick "telling" with
        the above-mentioned duo joining in with *their* favorites! I know
        I didn't make a 33.33% contribution to the session because it was
        difficult to squeeze my offerings into that combo!

        In all that time not *ONE* Limerick was repeated - and the original
        ones that we recited (unfamiliar to the other 20+ guys in the room)
        got the biggest laughs of all.

        Were all of them fit for *General Audience* ears?

        (8^D)

        DJ in MT