My Lloyd Steinkamp story

  • adrianegroup
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
      While there are probably dozens of folks who have had an almost
      identical experience with Lloyd, I'd like to share my two minutes of
      fame with this absolute master of the stage.

      Fade back to when I as 19, singing in San Jose with other youngters
      (the youngest of which was a 12 year old Alan Gordon of Gotcha! fame
      on tenor). Lloyd had come to coach the chorus in our mountain
      retreat in preparation for the District contest. After the evening
      session, Lloyd sat down with a bunch of the lads to enjoy a beer, and
      thats when my quartet took the opportunity to try and sing our new
      song "Shennandoah" for him.

      He appeared delighted to hear us and swiveled his chair around to
      listen, leaning forward, holding his beer cup to his chest. Just as
      we took our breath and launched into "Oh..." - Lloyd (using his
      tongue) pushed his dentures out of his mouth, right into his beer.

      We couldn't recover after that.. the entire room fell apart as Lloyd
      looked around innocently saying .. "What?"

      I doubt he'd remember that moment from those 18 years ago, but its
      burned into my memory permanently!
    • Tom Schleier
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
        OK,
        Here is mine.

        Lloyd is one of the naturally funniest guys I ever met. Nobody is quicker.
        The Phoenicians were performing "The Making Of A Champion" for their annual show, which has vignettes and small chorus spots of the Phoenicians' rise to fame from 1943 to their first chorus gold medal.

        I was a member of the Salt River Beach Combers. Our director was the inevitable (or inimitable or whatever) Lloyd Steinkamp. Our schtick was we were singing "In The Shade Of The Old Apple Tree" and a bee was buzzing each of us and we had to react. I was next to the end of the front row, and Dr. Dan Wilson was on the end. At the close of the song, with Lloyd facing the audience for the last chord, Dan was to spray the bee with an old pump insect sprayer, and I was supposed to stomp it dead when it hit the ground. Dan and I thought it would be fun to "get" Lloyd. So I got a starter pistol for the last performance of the set; and when it came time to kill the bee, I shot it with the starter pistol. LLODY DIDN'T EVEN FLINCH! What a showman.

        Love you Lloyd,

        Tom Schleier
        Phoenicians Phront Row.

[...]

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;
        }
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;
        }
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        padding-top:10px;
        font-family:Verdana;
        font-size:77%;
        margin:0;
        }
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;
        }
        #ygrp-actbar{
        clear:both;
        margin:25px 0;
        white-space:nowrap;
        color:#666;
        text-align:right;
        }
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;
        white-space:nowrap;
        }
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        font-family:Verdana;
        font-size:77%;
        padding:15px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-ft{
        font-family:verdana;
        font-size:77%;
        border-top:1px solid #666;
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;
        }

        #ygrp-vital{
        background-color:#e0ecee;
        margin-bottom:20px;
        padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
        }
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        font-size:77%;
        font-family:Verdana;
        font-weight:bold;
        color:#333;
        text-transform:uppercase;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;
        margin:2px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        list-style-type:none;
        clear:both;
        border:1px solid #e0ecee;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        font-weight:bold;
        color:#ff7900;
        float:right;
        width:2em;
        text-align:right;
        padding-right:.5em;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;
        }
        #ygrp-vital a {
        text-decoration:none;
        }

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;
        }

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;
        font-size:77%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        padding:6px 13px;
        background-color:#e0ecee;
        margin-bottom:20px;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;
        margin:0;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        list-style-type:square;
        padding:6px 0;
        font-size:77%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;
        font-size:130%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
        background-color:#eee;
        margin-bottom:20px;
        padding:0 8px;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        font-family:Arial;
        font-weight:bold;
        color:#628c2a;
        font-size:100%;
        line-height:122%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;
        }
        o {font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal {
        margin:0 0 0 0;
        }
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;
        }
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq {margin:4;}
        -->

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
          The only connection to BBShop this story contains is the time and the
          place of the event. It occurred during the very first Harmony College
          in Racine, WI, where some of us were gathered to try to qualify for
          Judges under the (old) New ARR category. In that group were two
          of my most favorite funny people - Freddie King and Unkalloyd.

          After the late session on the first or second day, the group gathered
          in the Rec. room for an R&R meeting. Very soon after the beginning
          I happened to recite one of my favorite Limericks. That began what
          turned out to be about an hour of nonstop Limerick "telling" with
          the above-mentioned duo joining in with *their* favorites! I know
          I didn't make a 33.33% contribution to the session because it was
          difficult to squeeze my offerings into that combo!

          In all that time not *ONE* Limerick was repeated - and the original
          ones that we recited (unfamiliar to the other 20+ guys in the room)
          got the biggest laughs of all.

          Were all of them fit for *General Audience* ears?

          (8^D)

          DJ in MT