Starting a new chapter?

  • Mike Carvin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
      No, please don't jump to any conclusions - yet. Consider this merely part
      of fact-finding, due diligence, etc. (at least for the foreseeable future).

      On any number of discussions in the past, someone or other brings up the
      notion of starting a new chapter as a solution to the "no chapters within
      such-and-such a distance that is {fill-in-the-blank}" situation.

      Naturally, my first reaction (ok, and my second, third and forth reactions
      as well) to that is "Yeah, right - easier said than done!" I do have to
      wonder though, how many of those that are so quick to make that suggestion
      have actually gone off and done it?

      So, the question is (hypothetically of course), supposing that I - for
      whatever reason - wanted to begin such an undertaking, where would I start?
      Which Society publication(s) would be apropos to this? What are are rules
      regulating location (vis a vis the location of neighboring chapters)? What
      about chapters that have relinquished their charters (or have had them
      revoked for one reason or another) - is it inappropriate or distasteful to
      try attempt building a new chapter in the same vicinity?

      What is the process for this? Has anyone recently gone through this
      successfully? What trials and tribulations did you have to endure as part
      of this?

      Again - no conclusion jumping, please. This is purely a fact-finding
      mission right now, especially considering this will likely ending having
      some serious "in over my head" potential.

      Thank you muchly in advance :-)

      -----
      Mike Carvin
      Frank Thorne Chapter, NED

    • Charlie Davenport
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
        Mike, step one is to contact me. As Director of Membership for the
        Society, the starting of new chapters falls directly under my perview.

        Since I began in September, 2006 we have had approximately 12 groups
        begin the process of starting a chapter, from that of "inviestigating
        the possibility in their area" all the way to the point of being near
        Chartering. As a Past District Membership Director, District President
        and member of the Society Membership Committee, I am very familar with
        the process, requirements, pitfalls and best practices.

        The best place to start to gather the "requirements" is within the
        Society By Laws, which are available on the web site. If you contact me
        directly, I can send you a pdf of the portion of the by laws that
        pertain to Chapter Charters and Licenses.

        One point to be clear on:
        There is no "chapter territory" or "territorial right" associated with a
        chapter charter- That said, there is a significant "spirit of
        Barbershopping" we hope a new group would apply. New chapters developed
        near current chapters are seldom, if ever, successful unless there is a
        well established and significantly different "vision" for the new
        chapter. If the new chapter offers significantly different experiences
        than the current chapter, there is an opportunity for great success for
        both chapters.

        Mike, to be clear, we are always looking to start new, healthy chapters.
        With over 54 million people in the US and Canada living in
        municipalities of over 10,000, we have plenty of room for new chapters.
        My quick research estimates that there are over 4000 of these locations,
        each of which could possibly support both a Competitive and Community
        focused chapter.

        Feel free (anyone reading this) to give me a call at Society
        Headquarters to discuss new chapters or How to make your current chapter
        healthier. That works too!
        Charlie Davenport
        Director of Membership and Member Services
        Barbershop Harmony Society
        7930 Sheridan Road
        Kenosha, WI 53143
        800-876-7464 x 8451
        CDavenport@... <mailto:CDavenport@...>

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Carvin" <craftyguy@...> wrote:

        > No, please don't jump to any conclusions - yet. Consider this merely
        part
        > of fact-finding, due diligence, etc. (at least for the foreseeable
        future).

        > On any number of discussions in the past, someone or other brings up
        the
        > notion of starting a new chapter as a solution to the "no chapters
        within
        > such-and-such a distance that is {fill-in-the-blank}" situation.
        >
        > Naturally, my first reaction (ok, and my second, third and forth
        reactions
        > as well) to that is "Yeah, right - easier said than done!" I do have
        > wonder though, how many of those that are so quick to make that
        suggestion
        > have actually gone off and done it?
        >
        > So, the question is (hypothetically of course), supposing that I - for
        > whatever reason - wanted to begin such an undertaking, where would I
        start?
        > Which Society publication(s) would be apropos to this? What are are
        rules
        > regulating location (vis a vis the location of neighboring chapters)?
        What
        > about chapters that have relinquished their charters (or have had them
        > revoked for one reason or another) - is it inappropriate or
        distasteful to
        > try attempt building a new chapter in the same vicinity?
        >
        > What is the process for this? Has anyone recently gone through this
        > successfully? What trials and tribulations did you have to endure as
        part
        > of this?
        >
        > Again - no conclusion jumping, please. This is purely a fact-finding
        > mission right now, especially considering this will likely ending
        having
        > some serious "in over my head" potential.
        >
        > Thank you muchly in advance :-)
        >
        > -----
        > Mike Carvin
        > Frank Thorne Chapter, NED

      • bassmansinger
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
          I am a 48 year member who moved away from the big city to a small
          town with no chapters within 75 miles. Afer a chance meeting with
          another like soul we decided in July, 2006 to start a new chapter,
          held our first meeting in September, licensed in November and will
          submit our charter application later this January, 2007.

          Our secret of success?? We stumbled onto a Society Certified
          director in the area that jumped at the chance to direct a chorus
          and have no chapter administration/membership responsibilities.

          A chapter disbanded in the area about 9 years ago and that gave us a
          base of 9 members plus 'us' three to build on. We signed 7 new
          members, 9 reinstates, 3 transfers, and 2 duals to license. Much
          cooperation with the local newspaper gave us the coverage to attract
          new members.

          We will add 6 more to this when we charter. Yes, it was very easy
          for us. All of the pieces necessary fell into place at the right
          time. We call it a Coincidence (with a capital C, if you get what I
          mean.)

          Charlie Davenport in Kenosha has been a lot of help in accopmlishing
          this. Get on board with him and he will guide you along the way.

          Duane Lunday,
          East Texas Chapter
          East Texas Men In Harmony Chorus