Bill Arnold, a 67 year member of our Society

  • harmonizeme@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
      Bill Arnold turned 86 last April. He attended the Roswell, GA Chapter of our
      beloved Society since Roswell's inception back in 1994. He was a charter
      member of a number of chapters in the Northeast and moved to Atlanta with his
      lovely wife, Nancy over 20 years ago. He is the most senior, active member of our
      society. The following is a message I sent out to Bill's friends locally just a
      few moments ago.

      Friends of Barbershop,
      I just received a call from Bill Arnold's son, Bill. He informed me that
      Bill fell at home last night. Nancy called 911 and Bill was transported to
      North Fulton Hospital where he remained until a little while ago.
      Bill was unable to stand due to weakness brought on by dehydration and the
      progress of his cancer. He was very jaundiced, indicating a lack of liver
      function. He was uncomfortable and going in and out of consciousness.
      The decision was made to move him this afternoon to
      Metropolitan Hospice
      200 Village Parkway
      Marietta, GA.
      770 099-0880
      That is at the corner of Johnson Ferry and Papermill.
      He was administered morphine and now opens his eyes only occasionally but
      doesn't communicate any longer. The doctors suggest that the end is near, giving
      him potentially as little as a few hours or a few days.
      I know everyone who has ever had the golden opportunity to know and
      interact with Bill will be crushed, as I was to hear this news. This is the
      beginning of the memory of an unforgettable man and the end to fine and beloved human
      being who represents an era in our hobby's history.
      With a heavy heart,

      "Handsome" Dave Philo
      Affable, talented, illustrious, funny, voluptuous and unmitigatingly humble

    • harmonizeme@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
        I'm sad to report that Wilmer "Bill" Arnold died this morning at 6:30AM. He
        had just been admitted to the hospice twelve hours earlier. He died of
        complications from pancreatic cancer that had matasticized to his liver. This is
        truly a sad end to an era of our beloved barbershop hobby.