Lloyd Steinkamp

  • lloyd@flash.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2007
      Darryl Flynn wrote: "he is loosing the battle to cancer and will be in
      hospice care starting tomorrow."

      Bummer! I had not heard anything about his being sick. If it has been
      on the Harmonet I must have missed it.

      I did not know Lloyd well; about the only times I saw him was when he
      was judging at SWD contests. I do recall one time when he had a
      connecting flight through Houston coming back from contest, and I had
      the good fortune of sitting next to him. He shared some of his memories
      of the Society from years before. What a treasure-house of stories he
      told. I wish I had written them down at the time.

      Lloyd's passing will be a big loss to all of us.

      Perhaps this is something we should promote: capturing the memories of
      some of our early members. An oral history program might be very
      worthwhile. Perhaps some of the folks who were capable of coming up
      with prize money for the Buffalo Bills contest this month would like to
      fund another "preservation" activity...

      Lloyd Erickson - Innsiders, Houston Tidelanders

    • Shelley Herman
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2007
        > From: <lloyd@...>
        > Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:15:46 -0600
        > To: <bbshop@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [bbshop] Lloyd Steinkamp
        >
        > Perhaps this is something we should promote: capturing the memories of
        > some of our early members. An oral history program might be very
        > worthwhile. Perhaps some of the folks who were capable of coming up
        > with prize money for the Buffalo Bills contest this month would like to
        > fund another "preservation" activity...

        I think that this is a really good idea. Perhaps the BHS museum should
        head up this project.

        Shelley Herman
        saherman@...
      • Jack W. Martin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2007
          I too, had little time with Lloyd , other than when he was working
          for the society as a field man, at COTS and other Harmony Education
          Program functions, and of course seeing and speaking with him briefly
          at our conventions. However this did not take away from knowing him
          as a friend and realizing he had a great impact on our Societies
          success, especially in earlier years.

          I think a future "preservation" activity might be a good thing, such
          as a repeat of the Buffalo Bills Era contest in future years, However,
          In all due respect, perhaps the 30,000 members of the BHS would like
          to fund for such a "preservation" activity in honor of Lloyd
          Steinkamp's past dedication to the society he loved and gave so much
          too.

          Even better, let's honor all our past pioneers of Barbershop such as
          Lou Perry, Bob Johnson. Dave Stevens, Mac Huff and countless others in
          quartets of the earlier years. The real preservationist of our music!
          We might want to include some of those who are still with us. such as
          Tommy Palamone. Marty Mendro, Bob Lndley Buzz Haeger, Jack Baird and
          several others.

          Just my ten cents worth [inflation ya know! ;-) ]
          In Harmony
          Jack Martin

          On 1/1/07, lloyd@... <lloyd@...> wrote:
          > Darryl Flynn wrote: "he is loosing the battle to cancer and will be in
          > hospice care starting tomorrow."
          >
          > Bummer! I had not heard anything about his being sick. If it has been
          > on the Harmonet I must have missed it.
          >
          > I did not know Lloyd well; about the only times I saw him was when he
          > was judging at SWD contests. I do recall one time when he had a
          > connecting flight through Houston coming back from contest, and I had
          > the good fortune of sitting next to him. He shared some of his memories
          > of the Society from years before. What a treasure-house of stories he
          > told. I wish I had written them down at the time.
          >
          > Lloyd's passing will be a big loss to all of us.
          >
          > Perhaps this is something we should promote: capturing the memories of
          > some of our early members. An oral history program might be very
          > worthwhile. Perhaps some of the folks who were capable of coming up
          > with prize money for the Buffalo Bills contest this month would like to
          > fund another "preservation" activity...
          >
          > Lloyd Erickson - Innsiders, Houston Tidelanders

        • Freeman G Groat
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2007
            Jack, Happy New Year!

            I would like to especially add Floyd Connett (not sure of the spelling),
            to your list of past pioneers, "among many others"! I believe that he was
            one of the first, if not the first, field representative/s, during the
            50's/60's, prior to Lloyd's tenure! Can someone verify that?
            I would be interested in supporting
            "such a 'preservation' activity in honor of Lloyd Steinkamp's
            dedication."
            Sing-cerely, Freeman Groat

          • steve shannon
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2007
              Jack Martin wrote:
              > "...Lloyd... had a great impact on our Societies success, especially in
              > earlier years."
              I met 'Stein Loincramp' in the mid-60's, when he coached my quartet (The
              Night Howls) at an LOL COTS. A couple years later, Bob Johnson sent him up
              to the northern Minnesota town of Detroit Lakes, to find out how I got 36
              singers on a charter application, in just a month. (Simple, I just talked
              to a lot of strangers!) He told me, "Whatever the hell you're doing, keep
              doing it for the rest of your life." I have, and that began a 4-decade
              mentor/friend relationship.
              Just as Dave Stevens was the master of "Preservation", Lloyd was the
              master of "Encouragement" ("Do you guys actually LIKE doing this? How
              about showing it?!!!" '-). As we begin this new year, we all owe it to
              Lloyd and to our fellow singers, to emmulate that spirit of preservation and
              encouragement. In my book, the enthusiastic willingness to share is what
              caused our Society to grow to its pinnacle... and, with that attitude, we
              could double our membership almost overnight. All we need to do is
              pretend we are "Lloyd, For A Day".

              Thanks for the memories, Unka Lloyd,

              Steve Shannon
              Spring, Texas
            • Don Craig
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2007
                Happy New Year Everyone - I was blessed with the opportunity of going with my brother while he took the Buffalo Bills to some shows in Ontario in the early 50's. I also was given the pleasure of sitting at the feet of Bill (Bass) about 6 A.M. at the old Ford Hotel in Toronto listening to him roll off those beautiful bass notes which I have tried for 50 years to copy but never could. I had the same fun with the Mid States Four and have met and admired many of the fine gentlemen on your list including Lloyd Steincamp who was a favourite up here in Alberta Canada. I would be pleased to support and honour the preservation of the very fine history left to our society by these men. These men lived in the time when there were far fewer rules and much more pure joy of just singing. I am fortunate to be a member of the Barbershop Hall Of Fame in Evergreen District primarly because to the inspiration given to me by many of the above mentioned gentlemen. Take the time to RING a ch
                ord with a NEW friend in 2007. Don Craig Calgary (Home of the 1993 Barbershop International)

> [...]
                > > > the good fortune of sitting next to him. He shared some of
                > his
                > > memories
                > > > of the Society from years before. What a treasure-house of
                > stories
                > > he
                > > > told. I wish I had written them down at the time.
                > > >
                > > > Lloyd's passing will be a big loss to all of us.
                > > >
                > > > Perhaps this is something we should promote: capturing the
                > > memories of
                > > > some of our early members. An oral history program might be very
                > > > worthwhile. Perhaps some of the folks who were capable of
                > coming
                > > up
                > > > with prize money for the Buffalo Bills contest this month
                > would
                > > like to
                > > > fund another "preservation" activity...
                > > >
                > > > Lloyd Erickson - Innsiders, Houston Tidelanders

              • Phil Richards
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 3, 2007
                  Cliff Steinkamp reports that his Dad passed away 20 minutes ago. He and
                  his family will be grateful for any condolences that are offered.
                  Further details to follow.
                • bearwest
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 3, 2007
                    Phil Richards notifies us:
                    Cliff Steinkamp reports that his Dad passed away 20 minutes ago. He and
                    his family will be grateful for any condolences that are offered.
                    Further details to follow.

                    It's cold California morning out here on the coast...thought about getting
                    'out there' for a round of golf this morning.
                    Got up and fed the cat, turned on the computer to see 'what's new' in the
                    world...checked the local weather forecast...then punched up the Harmonet
                    and read Phil's notice, only a few minutes after he posted it.
                    Lloyd is gone. Another distant friend for over 50 years joins the big
                    chorus...probably greeted on the 'other side' by Val, Burt and many peers of
                    his day. Sad in lot's of ways, yet inevitable for all of us at some point,
                    however truly a life to celebrate. I hope lot's of wonderful memories pour
                    into the Steinkamp clan thru this or other mediums. Lloyd was super
                    talented, very giving of himself, and one who had a huge heart. It would be
                    great to hear from The Western Continentals, and that chorus in England
                    where Lloyd coached for a while...I believe there was even a video made of
                    that adventure? Lloyd touched so many lives in our hobby...I for one look
                    forward to reading from some of those folks who were blest by Lloyds
                    talents, friendship and humor. The Dessert Knight is now riding the Purple
                    Sage...and probably having a ball.
                    Bye for now Lloyd, God Bless, and see ya soon.

                    bear

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Tom Schleier
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 3, 2007
                      1988 - San Antonio.
                      I was competing in my first competition with the Phoenicians.
                      I ate something that didn't agree with me on Thursday, and started pooping blood about every 15 minutes.
                      I went on stage on Saturday, performed, and just about messed up my uniform before I found a restroom.
                      We made the top 6, so we had to perform again.
                      This time I couldn't save the uniform. Luckily, I was in the third row, so nobody but those in the fourth row saw the growing red spot.
                      When the curtain went down I was smiling, but immediately collapsed and had to be taken back to the hotel in a wheelchair.
                      We got a bronze medal. Sunday morning we had to check out of the hotel.
                      Lloyd got wind of all this and told somebody else to check me out and that I was to be put in his and Judy's suite and lay in bed until I needed to get to the airport. He and Judy offered to stay with me and take me to see a doctor here if I needed that, and change their plane reservations so I wouldn't be alone. My buddy Greg Lewis wheeled me to an urgent care and they dismissed it as a popped hemorrhoid.
                      Lloyd made sure I got on the bus and onto the plane for the trip home. He checked on me often during the flight.
                      My wife picked me up and went to a hospital and stayed for a week. They couldn't find the cause.

                      I thanked him many times for that kindness, but he never wanted the thanks.

                      Tom Schleier

[...]

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                      #ygrp-text{
                      font-family:Georgia;
                      }
                      #ygrp-text p{
                      margin:0 0 1em 0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                      font-family:Arial;
                      clear:both;
                      }
                      #ygrp-vitnav{
                      padding-top:10px;
                      font-family:Verdana;
                      font-size:77%;
                      margin:0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-vitnav a{
                      padding:0 1px;
                      }
                      #ygrp-actbar{
                      clear:both;
                      margin:25px 0;
                      white-space:nowrap;
                      color:#666;
                      text-align:right;
                      }
                      #ygrp-actbar .left{
                      float:left;
                      white-space:nowrap;
                      }
                      .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                      #ygrp-grft{
                      font-family:Verdana;
                      font-size:77%;
                      padding:15px 0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-ft{
                      font-family:verdana;
                      font-size:77%;
                      border-top:1px solid #666;
                      padding:5px 0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                      padding-bottom:10px;
                      }

                      #ygrp-vital{
                      background-color:#e0ecee;
                      margin-bottom:20px;
                      padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                      font-size:77%;
                      font-family:Verdana;
                      font-weight:bold;
                      color:#333;
                      text-transform:uppercase;
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital ul{
                      padding:0;
                      margin:2px 0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital ul li{
                      list-style-type:none;
                      clear:both;
                      border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                      font-weight:bold;
                      color:#ff7900;
                      float:right;
                      width:2em;
                      text-align:right;
                      padding-right:.5em;
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                      font-weight:bold;
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital a {
                      text-decoration:none;
                      }

                      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;
                      }

                      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                      color:#999;
                      font-size:77%;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                      padding:6px 13px;
                      background-color:#e0ecee;
                      margin-bottom:20px;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                      padding:0 0 0 8px;
                      margin:0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                      list-style-type:square;
                      padding:6px 0;
                      font-size:77%;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                      text-decoration:none;
                      font-size:130%;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                      background-color:#eee;
                      margin-bottom:20px;
                      padding:0 8px;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                      padding:8px 0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                      font-family:Arial;
                      font-weight:bold;
                      color:#628c2a;
                      font-size:100%;
                      line-height:122%;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                      text-decoration:none;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;
                      }
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                      margin:0;
                      }
                      o {font-size:0;}
                      .MsoNormal {
                      margin:0 0 0 0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-text tt{
                      font-size:120%;
                      }
                      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                      .replbq {margin:4;}
                      -->

                    • John Elving
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 3, 2007
                        I will always remember my introduction to Lloyd. I was a one-year member of the society when suddenly thrust into the role of director in the Evergreen District, Coos Bay Chapter. I was invited to go to COTS, and the director's track. Lloyd was the dean of the school, but he was also suddenly thrust into the role of teaching a large group of direcctors in attendance. To say it was a wonderful experience would be an understatement.

                        However, the most memorable part of the weekend was a scheme cooked up by Lloyd to get the attention of all the chapter officers. During one of the last general sessions of the weekend, Lloyd called on all the presidents that the directors had something special for them. We all stood up, turned to the presidents, and handed them our resignations. People didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Lloyd went on to explain, but it did get everyone's attention.

                        SIng-cerely & Humm-bly,

                        John Elving
                        Shrine of Democracy Chorus
                        Rapid City, SD
                      • Walter Latzko
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
                          My everlasting memory of Lloyd's funny shenanigans dates back to 1970,
                          when we went to the first arrangement category meeting in Racine, WI.
                          Lloyd was writing one of his daily reports on the goings one, in which
                          he referred to mild mannered me as "Dirtymouth Latzko." If it weren't
                          for the "honor", I might have been offended! God love Lloyd and all he
                          meant to that great Society of ours. We will certainly miss him!

                          My best to Judy on this sad occasion!

                          Walter Latzko
                        • Bruce
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
                            Here's an article definitely worth looking back on.

                            What does the number 173 have to do with Lloyd, and who in the heck are
                            the Salt River Beachcombers? It's all here.

                            http://www.bhsfwd.org/Directory/Dedication1998Fall.html

                            I will miss him more than words can describe.

                            Bruce Sellnow
                            bsellnow@...
                            FWD Coordinator for
                            Lloyd's High School Quartet Contest
                          • Andy Isbell
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
                              Through several steps this came to me for posting...

                              Sent: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:28 PM
                              Subject: For Lloyd

                              Circa 1985 after being a Society Fieled Rep and directing the
                              Scottsdale Chapter for years, with Russ Young by the way, Lloyd
                              returned to his Phoenix Chapter as an active singing member and earned
                              two Intl medals with the Phoenicians before moving on to San Diego.

                              During the course of months and years that passed, I will never, ever
                              forget a Phoenician Oktoberfest held out at Old McDonalds Farm in
                              north Scottsdale past Pinnacle Peak Rd. Of course, I was a lowly
                              patrolman at the time and that was my lone area of patrol. With the
                              help of Mike Laurel, I lay in wait for Lloyd and Judy to drive by in
                              their VW Van. The plan was for me to stop Lloyd and scare him the best
                              I could. The stars couldn't have aligned better!

                              The time came and Lloyd and Judy drove by. I pulled out and had to
                              maneuver through traffic to catch up to them. I had to get to them in
                              time before they turned off into the farm, so I hit my lights and
                              siren and made everyone get out of the way so I could catch up to
                              them. I did and Lloyd pulled over in what seemed like panic. As a
                              good barbershopper story would go, there happened to be an ambulance
                              coming the other direction with lights and siren on at the same time
                              and Lloyd had a martini in his lap. I found out later that they had 2
                              passengers with them; Howard Messecher (former Interp Judge) and his
                              wife from Calif.

                              With all of this chaos, lights, sirens, a flying martini and being
                              pulled over, Lloyd tossed the martini out over his shoulder spritzing
                              Mr and Mrs Messecher! I got out of my patrol car and Lloyd exited, of
                              course not having a clue it was me. I was yelling orders and he was
                              saying, "Yes sir, yes sir.." with a flashlight in his face. Once
                              close enough, I simply said, "I'm here to escort you to the party, Mr.
                              Steinkamp." Well, I think he had some kind of sudden bodily function
                              when he recognized me, almost collapsed, a few choice words and then
                              what seemed like an eternity of belly laughter between us all; Howard
                              and his wife actually receiving the best of it! Of course, we all got
                              to the party at the farm safe and sound.

                              This is one of those gems of a story that will never be forgotten and
                              will go down in the annals of Phoenician, Phoenix Chapter and Uncle
                              Lloyd history as one of the best 'gotch-ya's' in the world!

                              Now you know the story. This is how the term SgtBlood was coined...by
                              Lloyd, and I wasn't even a Sergeant yet! I have maintined it with
                              pride and it will stand as my email screen name forever. When I was
                              promoted to Sergeant years later, Lloyd said, "See, I told you so!"

                              Thank you Lloyd for all the memories, love and helping me first get
                              interested in the judging program way back in 1989. God blesses those
                              who blesses others. You are with HIM, Lloyd. Thank you my friend!
                              Randy C Stringfellow, aka "SGTBLOOD"
                              PRS
                              Spirit of Phoenix Chorus
                            • Andy Isbell
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
                                Posting for Jim Graham, brother of Paul Graham...

                                Jimmy...Here is the letter I sent Lloyd just a few days before he
                                passed away...
                                Pablo
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 9, 2007
                                  I wanted to wait to tell this story because I had to try and get over
                                  the shock of losing a great friend. I'm sure everyone who ever met
                                  this great Champion of Barbershop has a story to tell of Lloyd's
                                  generosity, humor, and friendship. My story begins at the 1991
                                  Southern California COTS, and our friendship continued until our loss.
                                  I had just returned from the Persian Gulf War, having been medivac'ed
                                  out through Germany for trying to catch a Scud Missile (that's another
                                  story in itself).

                                  I was the newly elected Membership VP for the old Saddleback Valley
                                  Chapter (now Irvine Chapter). Lloyd was the MC for the General
                                  Sessions and in one of the sessions, we were to be entertained by one
                                  of the registered Quartets who were in attendance. When it became
                                  time for them to perform, the Bass needed to use the facilities.
                                  Lloyd had to fill in some time in order to cover for him.

                                  Lloyd started telling the joke about the English Pilot that got shot
                                  down over Germany during the war. The pilot's leg was severely
                                  injured and the German Doctor had to amputate his leg. The Pilot
                                  asked that his leg be sent back to England so that it could be buried
                                  on his home soil. The Doctor said he had to ask the Kommandant for
                                  permission but that he saw no problem. Well the joke went on and on
                                  for about (15) minutes because of the way that Lloyd liked to stretch
                                  the moment. Just as he was getting to the punch line, I couldn't take
                                  it any longer and yelled out, "Ain't that Bass back yet?" Well you
                                  could have heard a pin drop for about 3 - 5 seconds, then the whole
                                  room erupted into a fit of laughter that stopped Lloyd in his tracks.
                                  I believe it was the first time Lloyd was speechless for over 5
                                  seconds. After the General Session, I went up to Lloyd and wanted to
                                  apologize for the interruption. He wouldn't think of it. He said
                                  that it was probably the best moment of his time there at COTS. We
                                  became good friends after that, even though I only got to see him at
                                  Barbershop functions, he always remembered me because of that one time .

                                  I last saw Lloyd at last year's Reno convention and he gave me one of
                                  his famous hugs and always had kind words for everyone. I will surely
                                  miss his humor, friendship, and kindness. There will never be another
                                  Lloyd Steinkamp, but we can honor him forever by always remembering
                                  what he gave to each of us - a sense of excitement in this hobby of ours.

                                  God Speed Lloyd.

                                  Dennis Johnson
                                  GySgt, USMC Retired
                                • John Porter
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 11, 2007
                                    As a teenager, I had first met Lloyd Steinkamp in 1974 after a chapter show in Phoenix. As I was leaving the show, I noticed this charismatic personality thanking people for attending and telling them that he hoped to see them again at next years performance.

                                    As I was heading for the door, I was stopped by this same man (Lloyd) who wanted know my thoughts regarding the show and if I had ever thought of joining the SPEBSQSA. But before I could reply, Lloyd, ever the salesman, began pitching me on the benefits of joining him in a unique singing fraternity.

                                    Eight years later, I found myself singing along side the man who over the course of time became my friend and mentor. Lloyd in every sense of the word was a true friend, not just to me but to all who knew him. His humor will be forever remembered as razor sharp and often times twisted (especially when it involved his dentures, but that’s another movie)

                                    I truly believe we will best remember “Uncle Lloyd” not just for what he said and how well he said it, but what he stood for.

                                    The poet Sophocles wrote, 'One must wait until the evening to see how splendid the day has been.' We can all take comfort in knowing that in the evening of his life, Lloyd Steinkamp could look back and see that the day he had, was indeed splendid.

                                    May God Bless you and your family.

                                    - John, Ellen, Emily and Rachel Porter