Madison Barbershop Quartet a Surprise Guest on "Whad'ya Know?"

  • Michael H. McCoy
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2006
      Barbershoppers want to
      check their local listings for airtimes of this program which includes an
      unscheduled appearance by a Madison quartet. The program is produced in
      Madison for
      Public Radio International and is carried on many public broadcasting
      stations.

      Mike
      McCoy

      VP
      Marketing

      Madison (Wisconsin)
      Chpater

      Capitol Chordsmen
      Chorus

      Local Madison Quartet Sings on Public
      Radio

      On Saturday morning, December 2nd, four
      Madison
      barbershoppers had decided to take their wives to be in the audience for Public
      Radio International's "Whad'ya Know?", with Michael Feldman. Since their
      quartet, HeartSong, was scheduled to deliver a singing birthday card an hour
      after the show, they had decided to wear their matching shirts and pants.

      Early in the second hour of the show, host Michael Feldman, who had
      earlier noticed the four and commented "what are the odds that four guys would
      happen to show up wearing identical shirts?" invited the quartet to come up and
      sing a song. After
      getting the four names, Lowell Peck-tenor, Jim Svanoe-lead, Mike
      McCowin-bass and Dave Hutchinson-baritone, Mr. Feldman then knelt down and
      served as a human mike stand while the quartet sang.

      Without having
      warmed up, the guys decided to have a go at "Orange Colored Sky" and were
      pleased to get a warm response from the studio audience. They said after the
      show that they hope that the larger radio audience had an equally favorable
      impression and will think well of their wonderful hobby.

      The program
      will be rebroadcast in the Madison area on Sunday evening, December 3rd,
      from 8 to 10 pm on WERN, 88.7 FM, as well as on various other NPR stations
      around the country. Consult your local guides for listings or go to www.notmuch.com/Tools/radio-search.pl for state by state
      listings. HeartSong sings about 15 minutes into the second
      hour.)

      Congratulations to HeartSong for doing their part to "preserve and
      encourage" barbershop harmony!!

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • dibabe12000
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2006
        I found the link to the show at www.npr.com
        find whatd' ya know... you can then find the show and they outline the
        time line and you can just go right to the time the quartet was on..
        the quartet comes on in the 2nd hour 24min and 13 seconds into the hour.
        I don't know if this link will work or not..

        http://www.notmuch.com/Show/

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Michael H. McCoy" <mikemccoy1852@...>