re: [bbshop] Arrangement characteristics

  • David Wallace
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
      This isn't as tough as it sounds.
      Men typically sound best with a more open chord voicing in the mid-to-lower tessitura, tightening up as the range goes up.
      As women are already singing toward the top of a range that sounds good with barbershop chords, they sound best with the chords "tighter" all the time.
      There are tons of exceptions: a men's quartet without a strong bass (or a particularly high lead) may keep things voiced up; a women's quartet with a particularly strong bass may take a bit of a risk and spread a few chords; an arranger may just be searching for a specific effect.
      This is not exclusive to barbershop: the tighter the voicing in a low range, the muddier the sound. SATB arrangers pay attention to this, too, as do good instrumental arrangers.
      In a generalized nutshell: the higher the melody, the tighter the voicing whether male or female.
      David Wallace
      Lead -- 1984 International Champions "The Rapscallions"
      Master Director -- "Heart of Ohio Chorus", (SAI)