Re: [bbshop] Arrangement characteristics

  • Thomas R. Arneberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
      > From: Tim Buell <tpbuell@...>
      > Date: Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 05:12:53AM -0000:
      > Subj: [bbshop] Arrangement characteristics
      >
      > I have heard that when Men's barbershop arrangements are done for
      > women, some of the parts need to be re-voinced, and the key needs to be
      > changed, but I have never seen an adequate explanation for what actual
      > changes need to be made and more importantly why specific things are
      > done. I have daughters, and have been working with their High School
      > choral teacher to introduce barbershop to the students, both male and
      > female and I would like to know the answers when asked. Maybe someone
      > could help? Actually, it sounds like a perfect topic for the Wiki
      > page.

      There are some collections of past Harmonet posts about this on
      the MHBQA web page:

      http://mixedbarbershop.com/

      Specifically:

      http://mixedbarbershop.com/2a.tech.voicing.html
      http://mixedbarbershop.com/2b.tech.faq.html
      http://mixedbarbershop.com/2c.gsrange.html

      - Tom A. (HarmonetLite FAQ: http://arneberg.com/harmonet/lite)
      ;-) I'd rather be ____ Thomas R. Arneberg | http://ChipsQuartet.com
      :-) singing in a |____| toma@... | Baritone, "CHIPS" quartet
      :-) Barbershop _| _| Cray Supercomputers| Former chapters: St. Paul,
      :-) Quartet! (_) (_) Chippewa Falls, WI | Denver, Portland, Hilltop
    • David Wallace
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
        This isn't as tough as it sounds.
        Men typically sound best with a more open chord voicing in the mid-to-lower tessitura, tightening up as the range goes up.
        As women are already singing toward the top of a range that sounds good with barbershop chords, they sound best with the chords "tighter" all the time.
        There are tons of exceptions: a men's quartet without a strong bass (or a particularly high lead) may keep things voiced up; a women's quartet with a particularly strong bass may take a bit of a risk and spread a few chords; an arranger may just be searching for a specific effect.
        This is not exclusive to barbershop: the tighter the voicing in a low range, the muddier the sound. SATB arrangers pay attention to this, too, as do good instrumental arrangers.
        In a generalized nutshell: the higher the melody, the tighter the voicing whether male or female.
        David Wallace
        Lead -- 1984 International Champions "The Rapscallions"
        Master Director -- "Heart of Ohio Chorus", (SAI)

        I have heard that when Men's barbershop arrangements are done for women, some of the parts need to be re-voinced, and the key needs to be changed, but I have never seen an adequate explanation for what actual changes need to be made and more importantly why specific things are done. I have daughters, and have been working with their High School choral teacher to introduce barbershop to the students, both male and female and I would like to know the answers when asked. Maybe someone could help? Actually, it sounds like a perfect topic for the Wiki page.
        Tim Buell
        Lead
        Heart of Maryland Chorus

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com