Stars of tomorrow

  • harmonizeme@cs.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
      What a bunch of crap! This is what America thinks is musical talent? I sat
      through that painful outpouring of misery for a whole hour. I'm absolutely
      disappointed in not seeing Men In Black and angry for having wasted about 4,200
      heartbeats on that human septic tank presentation (70 bpm X 60 minutes).
      If this is what our Society is going to come to, I'm glad to be a KIBBER!
      "Handsome" Dave Philo
      Affable, talented, illustrious, funny, voluptuous and unmitigatingly humble

    • Matthew Gray
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
        Wow...
        What the hell happened to you today? Why are you ripping the talent from the show to
        shreds? And what on earth makes you think this is what our society is going to come to?
        This talent you speak of was in the form of pop/rock music. Now we do consider our style
        to be one of the popular genre, but in no way can you compare Barbershop to a rock band.
        Most of the acts last night were at least entertaining, some were even great examples of
        musicality and passion. Now, I do admit that a lot of junk was paraded before the viewing
        audience, but that is what we call television, just in case you missed out on the last 60
        years or so.

        I was looking forward to seeing my boys Men In Black as I'm sure all of you were but I
        know they will be on a later episode for sure. From what I saw out of the judges, they do
        know musical talent, they noticed and rewarded things such as pitch, musicianship,
        passion and just plain talent, all of which Men In Black possess. So, I think you need to
        cool your jets a little, look at what musical talent actually is and just wait for Men In Black
        to show up and vote your little Kibber heart out, even though they probably won't be
        singing Barbershop (as I know for a fact the L.A. tryout forced the bands to choose two
        songs from a pre-determined list and sing arrangements of them).

        Matt Gray

      • rweaver912@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
          Finally some of you may be starting to see the light. This style will NEVER be mainstream. All this "wanna-be" singing is just keeping good men from joining the ranks. It's a "participation" sport, after all.
          Ron W

          What the hell happened to you today? Why are you ripping the talent from
          the show to
          shreds? And what on earth makes you think this is what our society is going to
          come to?
          This talent you speak of was in the form of pop/rock music. Now we do consider
          our style
          to be one of the popular genre, but in no way can you compare Barbershop to a
          rock band.
          Most of the acts last night were at least entertaining, some were even great
          examples of
          musicality and passion. Now, I do admit that a lot of junk was paraded before
          the viewing
          audience, but that is what we call television, just in case you missed out on
          the last 60
          years or so.

          I was looking forward to seeing my boys Men In Black as I'm sure all of you
          were but I
          know they will be on a later episode for sure. From what I saw out of the
          judges, they do
          know musical talent, they noticed and rewarded things such as pitch,
          musicianship,
          passion and just plain talent, all of which Men In Black possess. So, I think
          you need to
          cool your jets a little, look at what musical talent actually is and just wait
          for Men In Black
          to show up and vote your little Kibber heart out, even though they probably
          won't be
          singing Barbershop (as I know for a fact the L.A. tryout forced the bands to
          choose two
          songs from a pre-determined list and sing arrangements of them).

          Matt Gray

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, harmonizeme@... wrote:

          > What a bunch of crap! This is what America thinks is musical talent? I sat
          > through that painful outpouring of misery for a whole hour. I'm absolutely
          > disappointed in not seeing Men In Black and angry for having wasted about
          4,200
          > heartbeats on that human septic tank presentation (70 bpm X 60 minutes).
          > If this is what our Society is going to come to, I'm glad to be a KIBBER!
          > "Handsome" Dave Philo
          > Affable, talented, illustrious, funny, voluptuous and unmitigatingly humble

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
            In a message dated 08/01/2006 10:46:24 PM, rweaver912@... writes:

            << Finally some of you may be starting to see the light. This style will
            NEVER be mainstream. All this "wanna-be" singing is just keeping good men from
            joining the ranks. It's a "participation" sport, after all.
            Ron W >>

            - - - - - - -

            Unfortunately, my friend, your comments will never reach the ears
            they *should* reach. Changing (Morphing? Evolving?) our Style
            to attract folks who seem to enjoy "Stars of Tomorrow" just
            might be an exercise in futility.

            It has been ... so far anyway.

            (8^D)

            Dick Johnson
            BQPA/BHS/Pioneers
            EVG/Treasure Statesmen
            Great Falls, MT
          • dbrobstpre@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
              Well said Matt,
              I too was disappointed that "my boys" Men In Black were not on the show.
              The show was certainly an example of the "the good, the bad and the ugly" and
              as a coach I was really put off by the harsh, negative comments by the host.
              (the ugly) Just don't like to see people verbally trashed in a public arena.
              But, I guess that's what makes Reality TV popular with the masses.

              Hard to understand at times that some feel that any other form of music is a
              threat to our style. How narrow must your thinking get if you limit
              yourself to only one genre of any art form.
              This old Barbershopper, Judge, Coach and music lover of all types, even
              listens to Blues, Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Gospel at times......why I even
              attend the Symphony Concerts here in Shreveport. It's a very good orchestra by
              the way, but can you believe it, they even play show tunes and turn of the
              century songs at times. Why I even heard them play a medley of "Music Man" songs
              at a recent outdoor concert. Danger!! they may be moving in on the
              barbershop style. We got trouble, I say we got trouble!

              Dwain Brobst

              I hate to admit it but I have even been caught listening to "Blues" on my
              mp3 player while walking around the Harmony College Campus.

              < Re: Stars of tomorrow
              < Posted by: "Matthew Gray" mrgray4@... mrgray_msf
              < Date: Tue Aug 1, 2006 3:34 pm (PDT)

            • Adelina Zottola
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                Well said, Dwain...One pat on the back deserves another! :-) I totally
                agree with your comments regarding feeling threatened by other forms of
                music. And the harshness of the judges on these reality shows bothers
                me too--it's often painful to watch. But, as you said, that's what
                appeals to the masses--a sad commentary, really. On a more positive
                note, some of those being trashed actually enjoy the brief notoriety and
                even profit from it. Recall William Hung from American Idol a few years
                back. He enjoyed huge notoriety for a while and made a tidy sum too. In
                fact, to this day he's still profiting. He's still in the public eye,
                getting gigs and has his own professionally done web site...am

                ________________________________

                From: Dwain Brobst

                Well said Matt,
                I too was disappointed that "my boys" Men In Black were not on the show.

                The show was certainly an example of the "the good, the bad and the
                ugly" and
                as a coach I was really put off by the harsh, negative comments by the
                host.
                (the ugly) Just don't like to see people verbally trashed in a public
                arena.
                But, I guess that's what makes Reality TV popular with the masses.

                Hard to understand at times that some feel that any other form of music
                is a
                threat to our style. ...

                Recent Activity

                *
                11
                New Members
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bbshop/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZW1lM3IyBF9TA
                zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwOTYxNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDI0MDU0BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA
                3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzExNTQ1MzU0MzA->
                *
                1
                New Links
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bbshop/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJnajltb2diBF9TAzk
                3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwOTYxNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDI0MDU0BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3Z
                saW5rcwRzdGltZQMxMTU0NTM1NDMw>

                Visit Your Group
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bbshop;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaTFhOWxoBF9TAzk3MzU5N
                zE0BGdycElkAzEwOTYxNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDI0MDU0BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc
                3RpbWUDMTE1NDUzNTQzMA-->
                New Message Search

                Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the
                improved message search.

                Share feedback on the new changes to Groups

                .

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=1096172&grpspId=1600024054&m
                sgId=68615&stime=1154535430>

              • Marty Israel
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Hi Dwain!

                  Thanks for your post. I agree with you a thousand percent and recently had
                  a similar experience of my own.

                  On the way driving out to Indianapolis from New Jersey, we decided to stop
                  for a couple of days in Cleveland. What's in Cleveland, you may ask. Well,
                  that Monday night we were at the ballpark watching the Indians beat the
                  Yankees 5 to 2 (dang it!). During the day, we visited the Rock and Roll
                  Hall of Fame and Museum.

                  The featured exhibit was a singer/songwriter that I paid very little
                  attention to as a teenager in the 60s. His songs have been performed by
                  countless other artists. I, myself, didn't care for his voice, and I
                  preferred louder guitars in those days, so I never really gave his solo
                  stuff a chance. Well, on the top floor, listening booths were set up so you
                  could listen to his early albums. For the first time, since I was somewhat
                  curious, I listened to his own rendition of his song House Of The Rising
                  Sun. Just the singer and his guitar. The raw power and conviction of this
                  recorded performance completely and utterly blew me away. In the last few
                  weeks, I've obtained his first few albums (remastered on CDs) and intend to
                  listen to them straight when I am on vacation on a couple of weeks. I am so
                  excited that I have rediscovered this artist's music for the first time.

                  Anyhoo, then we drove on to Indianapolis and immersed ourselves in all that
                  great barbershop performance and good will.

                  By the way, the artist is Bob Dylan.

                  What has all this to do with barbershop, you may ask?

                  A lot of the discussion (when we're being nice to each other) deals with
                  performance issues. Every so often, some brave soul rightly compares a
                  performance outside of the barbershop mode to something we as barbershoppers
                  have done. If I hadn't gone to Cleveland, I would have totally missed this
                  new (to me) aspect of vocal performance. Many talk of Crosby, Garland,
                  Sinatra and Streisand in terms of how to interpret a song. Fine - nothing
                  wrong with that. We shouldn't shy away from a particular genre because we
                  fear contamination. Let's embrace the best of all worlds. All that can
                  result is the betterment of what we do.

                  By the way, Reveille performs a knockout rendition of Roger Payne's
                  wonderful arrangement of House Of The Rising Sun!

                  Thanks for listening!

                  Canto ergo sum

                  Marty Israel

> [...]
                  >to choose two
                  ><songs from a pre-determined list and sing arrangements of them).
                  >
                  ><Matt Gray
                  >
                  >--- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, harmonizeme@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > What a bunch of crap! This is what America thinks is musical talent? I
                  >sat
                  > > through that painful outpouring of misery for a whole hour. I'm
                  >absolutely
                  > > disappointed in not seeing Men In Black and angry for having wasted
                  >about
                  >4,200
                  > > heartbeats on that human septic tank presentation (70 bpm X 60
                  >minutes).
                  > > If this is what our Society is going to come to, I'm glad to be a
                  >KIBBER!
                  > > "Handsome" Dave Philo
                  > > Affable, talented, illustrious, funny, voluptuous and unmitigatingly

                  Don´┐Żt just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
                • Djbqpa@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                    In a message dated 08/02/2006 10:18:45 AM, dbrobstpre@... writes:

                    << It's a very good orchestra by the way, but can you believe it, they even
                    play show tunes and turn of the century songs at times. Why I even heard
                    them play a medley of "Music Man" songs at a recent outdoor concert. >>

                    - - - - - - - -

                    What do they play when they advertise "An Evening With W. A. Mozart",
                    The theme from "Picnic"?

                    Of course, "An Evening With W. A. Mozart" would probably limit
                    your audience to folks who specifically enjoy Mozart - but what the hell?
                    You can't please everybody by playing one style of music all the
                    time . . . uh . . . unless your having a contest or something.

                    (8^D)

                    Dick Johnson
                    BQPA/BHS/Pioneers
                    EVG/Treasure Statesmen
                    Great Falls, MT
                  • GEORGE GORSUCH
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                      ... and he couldn't sing his way out of a phone booth!!

                      GTG

                    • hadyougoing
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Sorry, Ron and others... But I don't think mingling our music in a
                        display with other musical genres is bad. I think if barbershop is
                        going to survive it MUST win (i.e. fight for) its relevance in today's
                        culture... not simply rest of its past connection with our parents or
                        grandparents.

                        Winning relevance in today's culture requires change. Not necessarily
                        in the music itself (i.e. the kind of charts sung in contest)... but
                        DEFINITELY in the marketing and positioning with the market (i.e.
                        inserting barbershop music in the public talent contests and
                        festivals).

                        For instance, I think many people are drawn to "close harmony"... not
                        barbershop music specifically. Barbershop music is one EXCELLENT
                        example (the best in my opinion) of what close harmony should be...
                        but rock groups like Queen and Boston offer the same kind of close
                        harmony... but with something added that is frequently received as
                        being "more relevant".

                        I wish we could spend more time as an society sharing with the public
                        what we have in COMMON with today's music rather than always pointing
                        out how these other musical expressions suck... and our "close
                        harmony" is SOOOOO different and unique and ... well... disappearing.

                        Nash
                      • Joe De Felice
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                          The quality and diversity we do makes this a wonderful "hobby" yes,
                          but Oh, so much more. Our "Hobby" has become one helluva music
                          genre..... Anyone who cannot see the tremendous growth of the
                          musicality, performance skills, and attraction to youth is
                          BLIND. IMNSHO we ARE relevant, but nobody is seeing it beyond our
                          circle of friends and family. I agree and ask why and why not.

                          Would help if someone could figure out how to get public exposure of
                          the "Best of Barbershop" such as we have witnessed. Somewhere there
                          must be a corporate sponsor, or any other way to get videos of Big
                          Show stuff on at least PBS to make it visible (audible) to
                          millions. If it could be seen more than just occasionally it would
                          certainly attract some of the public who have never been exposed to
                          Barbershop in the new Millennium.

                          This need not be big budget items, with new productions such as the
                          MItch Miller video, etc. However, we have enough champions of our
                          cause who could be used to introduce our already produced videos or
                          sections thereof...... like Dick Van Dyke, or any of the other
                          celebrities who HAVE been exposed to our great singing like our
                          honoree at the Indy shindig who was genuinely impressed with the
                          quality of what we do.... enough to make a point of it.

                          And, today with the youth movement..... the Collegiate Contest and
                          the phenomenon of the young 'uns taking to this "old guy's
                          hobby". Seeing some of the youth stories on TV makes me think this
                          would be a popular and easier sell to TV Production
                          companies. AND, how about the double header HIT with Music Island
                          Boys winning along with the recent Collegiate champs moving on to
                          become "Big Show" champs. Man.... that's Human Interest stuff.

                          Can anyone tell me what IS happening and if it is, why haven't we
                          heard or made a part of it, at least for promotion.

                          And, can I nominate John Miller (Groucho) as head of committee to
                          look at this and make it happen. And maybe we can muster the TV
                          expertise of a Bob Lally (MOH before moving). And.... there must be
                          others. At least the guy who runs SOT is himself appreciative of In
                          Tune Singing first and foremost.

                          ShowGlow Joe