Re: Barbershop Extremes - lowest bass notes

  • ausleadjohn
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
      Lowest bass notes sung in a contest... just pick between John Korby
      (Excalibur) and Kevin Stinson (Flipside).

      Cheers,
      John.

      www.realtimequartet.com
      CD #2 coming soon!

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Duane Johnson" <johnsondp@...> wrote:

      > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "hadyougoing" <rowdynashville@>
      wrote:

      > > Something to discuss...
      > >

      > > 3. Lowest bass notes sung in contest?
      > >

      > Can anyone identify the low note sung by Karl Hudson of Men in
      Black at
      > the end of one of their numbers, I think in the second set in Indy?
      > remember saying "that must have been at least a low C", and the
      fellow
      > sitting next to me (with a pitch pipe) said it was lower than that.
      It
      > was low, resonant, and impressive, even if not an all-time record.
      >
      > Duane Johnson
      > Envious Bass

    • Duane Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "ausleadjohn" <johnnewell@...> wrote:

        > Lowest bass notes sung in a contest... just pick between John Korby
        > (Excalibur) and Kevin Stinson (Flipside).
        >
        > Cheers,
        > John.
        >
        > www.realtimequartet.com
        > CD #2 coming soon!

        One thing for sure, John, it wasn't a bass named Tom something! :)

        Sure would like to know what note Karl Hudson sang, however.

        Looking forward to your CD #2.

        Duane Johnson
      • Tim Bird
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
          MIB sang the David Wright arrangement of "Cross the Mason Dixon Line" (originally sung by
          Nightlife with Bret Littlefield on Bass... on the AIC Best of the Best CD vol.1 as well as on
          Nightlife's "Basin Street Blues" album.) If I recall, the last note on the descending bass line at
          the end is a D or Db.

          Interestingly, the arranger marked that passage to be sung as "swallo de mic"

          Bret also sang quite a low note (not out of the ordinary for him) on his solo during the
          Masters of Harmony Swan Song performance at Indy.

          Tim

          > Sure would like to know what note Karl Hudson sang, however.
          >
          > Duane Johnson
        • super mario
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
            I believe Brett Littlefield sings a low C at the end of "Mason Dixon Line"
            and I think MIB pitched it up to a C#. The note at the end of the Masters
            swan set is only an Eb. Kevin Miles hits a LOW Ab at the end of PLATINUM's
            "Hushabye Mountain."

            Mario