It was a good day when you gave us Barbershop

  • WALTER DODS
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hi Guys and Gals

      I was thinking quite recently that it was a good day when you gave us Barbershop. And personally I wish to thank you from the bottom of my heart and from the bottom of all Scottish Barbershoppers (both Male & Female).

      If not for Barbershop, we would not have a Scottish Gathering called Harmony Junction, were we ring chords, meet old and make new friends and have a few wee drams as well.

      But, I can hear you cry what have the Scots ever given us????

      Well, there is always the following:

      John Paul Jones, Founder of the US Navy
      Andrew Carnegie, The Richest Man in the World
      Washington Irving, author of "Rip Van Winkle".
      Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States of America 1912-1921. Grandson of a Scottish Presbyterian minister.
      General Winfield Scott, Commanded American forces during the American/Mexican war of 1846-48. His grandfather fought at Battle of Culloden.
      John McLaren, A Scot from Bannockburn, created the Garden of the Golden Gate, San Francisco.
      John MacIntosh, A Scot who developed the MacIntosh "apple", the edible one. Further to this, (computers have named a range of products after him) MacIntosh's father came from Inverness.

      The majority of the signatories of the declaration of independence were in fact Scottish

      And the talking about the Declaration of Independence, it was in fact based upon the Declaration of Arbroath (1320).

      And for all you Baseball fans out there, who can forget that we gave you Bobby Thomson whose home run for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1955 (the year of my birth) became known as "the Shot Heard 'Round the World". Bobby Thomson was born in Greenock.

      But, we do apologise for giving you:

      Albert Pike - known for his leadership in the late 1800's of Scottish Rite Masonry and founder of the Ku Klux Klan.

      But, if you have been touched, amused or anything by this email and if you would like to give something back to Scotland.

      Well, you can

      I collect Barbershop Pins and if your chapter has a pin and you would be so kind as to send me one to add to my collection. You can do so by sending them to me at Walter Dods, 3/2 St Clair Place, Edinburgh, Scotland UK EH6 8JZ.

      If you are planning a trip to Scotland or the UK and you want to be put in touch with a local Barbershop chorus or you would like me to send you some tourist information do feel free to drop me an email.

      In a future email I will explain how we gave you red-necks but that is for an other day.

      Walter Dods
      Lead
      The Rolling Hills Chorus
      Edinburgh
      Las Vegas bound, via Dallas then onto Maryland

      Barbershop Pin Collector
      Scotland

    • Don Craig
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
        That's all well and good, but what have you done for us lately????? Sorry I won't be over this fall to share a wee dram with you. Hopefully you were going to buy. Don Craig - Calgary

        > I was thinking quite recently that it was a good day when you gave
        > us Barbershop. And personally I wish to thank you from the bottom
        > of my heart and from the bottom of all Scottish Barbershoppers
        > (both Male & Female).
        >
        > If not for Barbershop, we would not have a Scottish Gathering
        > called Harmony Junction, were we ring chords, meet old and make
        > new friends and have a few wee drams as well.
        >

        > But, I can hear you cry what have the Scots ever given us????
        >
        > Well, there is always the following:
        >

        > John Paul Jones, Founder of the US Navy
        > Andrew Carnegie, The Richest Man in the World
        > Washington Irving, author of "Rip Van Winkle".
        > Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States of America 1912-
        > 1921. Grandson of a Scottish Presbyterian minister.
        > General Winfield Scott, Commanded American forces during the
        > American/Mexican war of 1846-48. His grandfather fought at Battle
        > of Culloden.
        > John McLaren, A Scot from Bannockburn, created the Garden of the
        > Golden Gate, San Francisco.
        > John MacIntosh, A Scot who developed the MacIntosh "apple", the
        > edible one. Further to this, (computers have named a range of
        > products after him) MacIntosh's father came from Inverness.
        >
        > The majority of the signatories of the declaration of independence
        > were in fact Scottish
        >
        > And the talking about the Declaration of Independence, it was in
        > fact based upon the Declaration of Arbroath (1320).
        >
        > And for all you Baseball fans out there, who can forget that we
        > gave you Bobby Thomson whose home run for the Brooklyn Dodgers in
        > 1955 (the year of my birth) became known as "the Shot Heard 'Round
        > the World". Bobby Thomson was born in Greenock.
        >
        > But, we do apologise for giving you:
        >
        > Albert Pike - known for his leadership in the late 1800's of
        > Scottish Rite Masonry and founder of the Ku Klux Klan.
        >
        > But, if you have been touched, amused or anything by this email
        > and if you would like to give something back to Scotland.
        >
        > Well, you can
        >
        > I collect Barbershop Pins and if your chapter has a pin and you
        > would be so kind as to send me one to add to my collection. You
        > can do so by sending them to me at Walter Dods, 3/2 St Clair
        > Place, Edinburgh, Scotland UK EH6 8JZ.
        >
        > If you are planning a trip to Scotland or the UK and you want to
        > be put in touch with a local Barbershop chorus or you would like
        > me to send you some tourist information do feel free to drop me an
        > email.
        > In a future email I will explain how we gave you red-necks but
        > that is for an other day.
        >
        > Walter Dods
        > Lead
        > The Rolling Hills Chorus
        > Edinburgh
        > Las Vegas bound, via Dallas then onto Maryland
        >
        > Barbershop Pin Collector
        > Scotland

      • TJ Barranger
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
          walterdods wrote:

          "And for all you Baseball fans out there, who can forget that we gave you Bobby Thomson whose home run for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1955 (the year of my birth) became known as "the Shot Heard 'Round the World". Bobby Thomson was born in Greenock."

          Hey Walter...Bobby may have been Scottish, but he hit that dinger for the New York Giants, against Ralph Branca of the Dodgers.

          In Harmony,

          T. J. Barranger
          www.harmonize.com/TJB

          Director
          The Sons of the Severn
          Anne Arundel, MD (BHS)
          2006 Small Chorus Champion
          2005 Intermediate Chorus Champion
          Western Division, Mid-Atlantic District
          www.harmonize.com/SOTS

          Tenor
          Direct Hit
          2006 Quartet Champion
          Southern Division, Mid-Atlantic District

          IT'S ALL ABOUT HARMONY!

        • Bob Patterson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
            Walter,

            You forgot Mc(or is it Mac?)Adam who invented blacktop roads, which bear his name.

            You also forgot my grandparents without whom I wouldn't be.
            I know; some people say that wouldn't be all bad.

            Bob Patterson
            Bari, Tortilla Flats

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
              Hi TJ

              I did know that I do not know what was going through my mind when I type that.

              If I did not have a bad memory I would not have one at all.

            • rweaver912@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
                A fine whiskey?
                Ron W