Re: [bbshop] Re: BHS BQPA Progress Report- Younger Perspective

  • Marti Lovejoy
    Message 1 of 36 , May 30, 2006
      On May 30, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Phil Richards wrote:

      > I frequently agree with DJ and Marti, but not this time. The shrinkage
      > of our Societies is far less than would be predicted by the trends in
      > extra-curricular participation in the US. In the last three decades of
      > the 20th century, volunteer organizations of all types lost on the
      > average 50% of there membership. The cause -- TV, as studied in the
      > 1998 book Bowling Alone. The generation that should be ripe for our
      > activities was brought up on spoon fed entertainment from the boob
      > tube.

      But, as the Westminster and other choruses have shown, those kids
      raised on the boob tube can be recruited by enthusiatic men and they
      will come and they will sing.

      Marti Lovejoy
      Proud "Owner" of SING: sponsor of 5 YSF Scholarships in 2005
      PayPal donations: http: //martilovejoy. 50webs. com/index.html
      Score Collector for SING (and the site below)
      Life Member, Reg 10, TX, USA - 34 years so far
      http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
      marti59 @ isp.comĀ  <--remove spaces from links and edress
    • Scott Crevier
      Message 36 of 36 , May 30, 2006