Re: Ed Waesche's Arrangements

  • Alexander Boltenko
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2006
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Alexander Boltenko <aboltenko@...>
      Date: May 4, 2006 3:26 PM
      Subject: Re: [bbshop] Re: Ed Waesche's Arrangements
      To: Paul Girard <paul.e.girard@...>

      On 5/4/06, Paul Girard <paul.e.girard@...> wrote:

      > I did a search on Waesche and found 283 entries without Jim Emery's
      Glenn Miller Medley.
      My search also found:
      I Found A Million Dollar Baby, with B.MITCHELL, and R.HOPKINS (#8815)

      In addition, I found My Melancholy Baby by Dennis Discroll/Ed Waesche
      (#7056), which was not found by searching on Waesche, but I had an
      arrangement of #56 and searched on the song name. There may be more
      such hidden treasures.

      I also have arrangements by him of:
      Whiffenpoof Song
      You've Gotta Have Heart
      Redhead, with The Insiders
      but found no listings of these songs by him in the society database.

      Paul

      Thanks, Paul - the total is 290 now!

      --

      Alexander Boltenko
      aboltenko@...

      --

    • Roger.Olson@lafarge-na.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2006
        When I joined the Society, the first quartet I listened to with regularity
        was Bluegrass Student Union, who made expert (and frequent) use of Ed's
        arranging prowess. All pure ear candy. One of the first charts I ever
        sang in contest was "Sweetheart Sally." Those big scissors swipes on the
        tag - WOW! Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it... Another Waesche
        gem is "Java Jive." What quartet HASN'T sung this one?

        I do have two Waesche "originals" in my sheet music library, which my
        quartet at the time (1997-ish) had commissioned him to arrange for contest:
        "When I Take My Sugar to Tea" and "Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries." Very
        cool stuff, and I doubt if either is currently in the Old Songs Library.
        Ed cranked these out for us without a thought to remuneration of any sort.

        Speaking of "WITMSTTea," that same quartet had the pleasure of working with
        Ed during a Top Gun quartet school in RMD. Our lead was having range
        issues with the tag, and we asked for Ed's suggestion on how we could make
        it work. He sat there for a few brief moments, during which you almost
        hear the creative cogs spinning in his head, then took the sheet music and
        dropped in a key change and a new and improved tag. I don't think I'd ever
        witnessed true genius before, but I sure did that day.

        At the afterglow that evening, we ditched our bari and sang some of our
        repertoire and a few tags with Ed. So, we got schooled in woodshedding and
        tagging along with everything else we learned that weekend. I'll never
        forget it.

        Thanks, Ed!

        Roger Olson

        This e-mail message is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If the addressee cannot be reached or is unknown to you, please inform the sender by return e-mail immediately and delete this e-mail message and destroy all copies.

        Ce message, transmis par courriel, est confidentiel, peut etre protege par le secret professionnel et est a l'usage exclusif du ou des destinataires ci-dessus. Toute autre personne qui n'est pas le destinataire designe, un employe ou un representant responsable de la livraison de cette correspondance au destinataire(s) designe(s) est avisee qu'il lui est strictement interdit de diffuser, distribuer ou reproduire ce message. Si le destinataire ne peut etre joint ou vous est inconnu, veuillez en informer immediatement l'expediteur par courrier electronique et detruire ce message ainsi que toute copie de celui-ci.
      • Duane Johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2006
          Alexander and Paul,
          You might want to look for double entries. For example, You've Gotta
          Have Heart is published by the society as Heart, Stock No. 7396.

          Duane Johnson

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Boltenko" <aboltenko@...>