Re: Thumbprint (variation of Ramrod thread)

  • Condon Thomas A KPWA
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 2:58 PM
      Good thread, and label - that "Thumbprint".

      I'd say most quartets, by their very nature, need to be a collaborative
      effort. But there are a few dominant personalities so much bigger than life
      that other singers will go along with just for the ride. Several have been
      named. Some of the best quartets, however, are ones where you can't think
      of anyone in the quartet you'd want to swap out, because they all contribute
      so well.

      But in barbershop we have a few other "thumbprints". Distinctive choruses
      have thumbprints from their directors. Clay Hine on Big Chicken and Chuck
      Olsen on Tualatin Valley are a couple that come to my mind. Jim Miller, Jim
      Clancy, and Dr. Lyne have all left their thumbprints.

      I would say that both Dave Stevens and Bob Johnson left their thumbprints on
      the BHS, perhaps more so than OC.

      Larry Ajer left quite a thumbprint on the C&J system, coaches and various
      ensembles he coached. We had a coach named Bud Leabo out here in Evergreen
      who left quite a mark. Buz Hagar did so, too. Lou Perry left a pretty good
      thumbprint on the Boston Common, who left a thumbprint of their own on many
      of us.

      Speaking of quartets, Sun Tones, BGSU, TNT, GHG and numerous others have
      left their thumbprints on our singers and style, too.

      Is leaving a thumbprint good? In some cases. In all cases? Probably not.
      I've seen a director tear a chorus apart, too. Well, that is a form of a
      thumbprint. Or is that a claw-mark?

      Anyway, there are people who contribute without leaving a thumbprint, too.
      I bet you can think of quite a few.

      In A Chord,

      Tom Condon
      Bass, Smooooth Quartet