music software

  • DLuttinen@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      Propellorheads may like to try LilyPond. It is free as part of the GNU Licensing Agreement. It runs on WIndows, Mac, or Linux. The binaries are easy to install and it uninstalls very cleanly if you want to zot it off your computer.

      However, it is like a bit like going back to DOS -- you input a text file and run the text through a translator. The output is stunning! The engravers will do whatever you tell it -- it can do anything from solo to full symphonies.

      Some people are working on creating templates for barbershop-style music. But we're on our own -- anyone can get the source code and modify it any way they wish. (The sources fill two two inch three ring binders) It is C++. There is no company support -- we are the company. There are user groups to ask questions.

      The learning curve is not as steep as you imagine; it took me less time to figure out than a dumbed down Finale. Does that make me a propellorhead? Don't Answer That, It Was Rhetorical!! Literalist!

      Output is .pdf, .ps, and it has a MIDI capability.

      I use it -- mostly for fun.

      Dave Luttinen,
      Bellevue Chapter
      Pierce County Chapter