RE: [bbshop] SSB A different anthem??? en espanol ??

  • G. Wayne Jackson
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29, 2006
      I usually don't reply to a lot of these threads because I don't have time
      and usually don't care to. I'm also not as eloquent as a lot of my
      barbershop frineds, but I feel I must say something regarding this
      particular set of emails.

      I'm living and working overseas in support of our "flag" and just the mere
      fact that someone is considering rewriting the words to "our" national
      anthem is appalling. I've read, heard and seen too many stories and pictures
      of flagged draped coffins coming home from Afghanistan and Iraq, and I don't
      think they would appreciate someone rewriting "our" anthem.

      True, the U.S. is a melting pot, but those people from different ethnic
      backgrounds, came to the States because they wanted to enjoy our way of
      life. In doing so, I believe that they accepted even our national anthem.
      And, quite a few of those immigrants have since become naturalized citizens.

      I believe that rewriting the anthem is a major show of disrespect to the
      thousands of service men and women that have made the ultimate sacrifice to
      keep our country free from oppression. There are many ex-pats living
      overseas and I gaurantee you that none of them have even brought up the idea
      that the national anthem of the country they are now living in should be
      changed to meet their needs.

      Yes, I too understand that the thread was supposed to be more musical than
      political, but I find it hard to believe that the majority of red-blooded
      Americans who feel as I do, are sitting around and doing nothing to have
      stopped this atrocity. I could be wrong about that statement, but it had to
      be said. So I guess now at every event that starts with the National Anthem,
      we'll be singing it twice.

      Rubbish!!!!

      Wayne Jackson

      Lead - a.k.a.
      Lead - Spirit of Harmony, Calder Valley, England
      Former - Lead TransAtlantic Connection
      Silver Medalist - IABS 2004 Int'l Mens QT Division
      Frank H. Thorne Chapter , BHS

      "Leading from the Front"

      >From: Joe De Felice <showglowjoe@...>
      >To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [bbshop] SSB A different anthem??? en espanol ??
      >Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:18:37 -0400
      >
      >I realize that this may be more political than musical, however
      >I cant believe there haven't been any posts on last night's news
      >and today's working over in the media, concerning the new
      >Spanish version of the SSB, our National Anthem like, it or not.
      >
      >(By the last part I mean to connect to the threads of the past
      >regarding the suitability of the verse [war-like, etc.?] and the
      >difficulty score on the "singable" scales, as have been discussed
      >in this forum.)
      >
      >I first saw this on the ABC news last night (background noise) while
      >waiting for my favorite JEOPARDY. (I've been real hot lately). It is
      >enough to make this old man cry and more.... get up and fight.
      >
      >We have discussed over-stylized versions at sports event and even
      >spectaculars (Super Bowl, etc.), Well, how 'bout this, SSB in Spanish
      >in preparation for May Day, or Worker's Day in Communist terms.
      >
      >And we are not talking translations, but CHANGES of wording to fit or
      >suit their needs to sing it and "show" that they are Americans too.
      >UNBELIEVABLE.... This is how far things have gone.
      >
      >So, does anyone think this is a topic for discussion on this forum???
      >
      >Joe De Felice
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • thisdarndigest
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 29, 2006
        The anthem was sung in Spanish and suddenly the price of gasoline shot
        up above $3 a barrel, we have a never-ending war in the Middle East,
        most of our elderly are stuck with a government prescription program
        that does more to confuse than help, the threat of nuclear aggression
        is on the rise, and my lead section never knows what key they're
        singing in.

        This whole "controversy" seems kinda silly, doesn't it?

        AJ
      • Brian Gordon
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 29, 2006
          On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 12:51:05AM -0700, Ross Lindgren wrote:
          > Hello Frank and Helen.
          >
          > The Canadian National Anthem is sung in both languages mainly because Canada happens to have two official languages: French and English. As far as I know we in the States only have one official language: English. Not saying that singing it in another language is necessarily wrong, or at least improper (How about German, Italian and Swedish, for instance?)
          > [...]

          Sorry, but the USA has NO official language. A couple of strong pushes to
          declare English that language have failed. Some states (CA, IIRC) may have
          one.

          --
          +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
          | Brian Gordon -->briang@...<-- brian.gordon at cox dot net |
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 29, 2006
            An interesting point, Helen. Some insight can be gleaned from this
            article on the Mexican National Anthem:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himno_Nacional_Mexicano

            Especially enlightening is this quote: "Notes: The official lyrics
            are in Spanish, but ...the Mexican Government has allowed for various
            native peoples of Mexico to translate the lyrics into their native
            languages. The translation will be performed by the National
            Institute of Indigenous Languages (Instituto Nacional de Lenguas
            Indígenas)..."

            No mention is made of other languages such as English, or the
            languages of European immigrants (e.g. German).

            Tom