Calming the contest jitters

  • Willie Waterloo
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      A couple months back I e-mailed the group asking for tips about how a quartet might go about preparing for contest. I got lots of replies, some public and some private, all of them appreciated.

      Here's another call for advice from you quartet folks who have "been there" and "done that." Do you have any specific methods you use to banish the butterflies when you perform on stage? It might be something you do as a quartet, or something you do individually -- something that happens the night before the contest, or in the wings right before your name is announced, or even as you're taking a pitch before singing. Maybe you do something at every stage that helps. If so, some of us would like to hear about it.

      Just to diffuse the obvious answer, I fully understand that the best way to be completely relaxed onstage is to be very prepared and very experienced. In spite of all of our preparation, my quartet still doesn't have a lot of experience in contests, and we're trying to find a way to get past the tightness, calm the nerves, and produce onstage something that approximates the relaxed, confident performances we're managing behind closed doors.

      Any and all suggestions (public and private) are welcomed and encouraged.

      Thanks...

      WW