Jim Casey

  • Jack W. Martin
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
      Is there any late news about how Jim Casey is doing. Or have I overlooked
      something?
      Jack Martin

    • John Rentz
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2006
        Jim Casey is doing better while still fighting the fight. Jim has begun limited travelling again. He and Glenda were in Harlingen, TX for a competition this past week and on the way home, he said he wanted to go to Canada (for an unknown event). So, they got home, got him packed up and took him to the airport to go to Canada for the weekend.

        John Rentz

        Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 19:14:39 -0500
        From: "Jack W. Martin" <jackwmartin@...>
        Subject: Jim Casey

        Is there any late news about how Jim Casey is doing. Or have I overlooked
        something?
        Jack Martin

      • Drew Ellis
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006
          I've been keeping up with Jim by phone; and he was in Memphis coaching
          the Cotton Boll Chorus about 2 weeks ago. He gets weary as you might
          imagine, but his spirits are good and his doctors say he is strong
          enough to resume a measured schedule.

          Jim still needs prayer. His cancer has been removed/healed from the
          pancreas as far as the doctors know, however, there is still a spot on
          his liver, which is equally as dangerous. This is one man who's heart
          is bigger than his disease.

          bless you Jim!
          Drew Ellis
          Nashville/Memphis chapters
        • Joe De Felice
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006
            I have to step in here, as we lose too many to Cancer, and here
            in M-AD we have a tremendous story of alternative success by
            a popular quartet man and long time member.

            It is my contention that I will pass on anything I can validate from
            people I know only, so as not to perpetrate or perpetuate some
            kind of hoax in place of HOPE.

            Bob Royce now living in Georgia has chronicled his story of what
            I consider "Winning over Cancer". It involves a Dr. Xin who has a
            Chinese Cancer Clinic in California. Details of the good Dr. are
            also included.

            If anyone is interested, write me privately off line and I will be happy
            to forward you the data, or set it up on PDF to attach or post some
            where. I received it from Dave Middlestadt, renown past director of
            Dapper Dans (Livingston, NJ Chapter) in their glory days, and still a
            very excellent lead/bari quartet man (Playtonics, Easternaires, and
            more recently Main Street Four and Sage with the inimitable Freddie
            King, Tom Felgen and whatzizname.... Dick Weber. ;-)

            If some one can send me Jim Casey's Edress I will also send it to him.

            Joe De Felice (aka ShowGlow Joe)

            At 4/3/2006 10:18 AM, Drew Ellis wrote:
            >I've been keeping up with Jim by phone; and he was in Memphis
            >coaching the Cotton Boll Chorus about 2 weeks ago. He gets weary as
            >you might imagine, but his spirits are good and his doctors say he
            >is strong enough to resume a measured schedule.
            >
            >Jim still needs prayer. His cancer has been removed/healed from the
            >pancreas as far as the doctors know, however, there is still a spot on
            >his liver, which is equally as dangerous. This is one man who's heart
            >is bigger than his disease.
            >
            >bless you Jim!
            >Drew Ellis
            >Nashville/Memphis chapters
          • John Grant
            Message 5 of 13 , May 6 1:14 AM
              The very sad news that the great Jim Casey has lost his battle with cancer has
              been announced on the Harmonet thus:-

              Jim passed away at about 10:10pm this evening. His and Glenda's family were there
              for support. At this time arrangements for any services have not been made. There
              will probably be a service in the last half of this week - Wednesday or later. As
              soon as arrangements have been made I will let you know.

              This is a huge loss for all of us.

              I will see to it that Glenda gets all of the notes you sent to me in the last
              week or so regarding Jim and your memories.

              Please keep Glenda and the family in your prayers.

              Lloyd Erickson

              Many of you will know Jim as a great vocal coach (Holy Moly!) and a wonderful
              guy. He came over to the UK a couple of times principally to work with Grand
              Central Chorus

              I got to know him well when a small group of "Singing" judges got together for a
              week to write the category description for the "Singing" category. He was also
              my room mate at Directors' college.

              His untimely demise is a huge loss to the world in general and to barbershop in
              particular. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Glenda and the family.

              The only consolation is that I know the great barbershop chorus in the sky will
              be singing better with his guidance.

              Goodbye old friend.

              John Grant

            • Kira Wagner
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8 8:10 AM
                To add to the growing list of memories...

                Jim was one of my favorite coaches when I was directing San Francisco
                SAI. He would put a spin on things that helped the chorus "get it" as
                well as make it easy for me to reinforce the skills he had taught.

                I always thought of him as the Gentle Giant - as he reminded me of
                Gentle Ben. He had these big hands that would practically engulf your
                head when he would be helping with posture or tension and they were
                filled with tenderness.

                We'd talk about the "stuff behind the stuff" for singers; how some
                things never really change just because of age; the encouraging was
                such a large part of the teaching, and the "why's" behind many of the
                exercises he would teach. He was always so open to share his skills,
                talents and gifts. Over 10 years later I still refer to things that he
                taught me.

                He would share stories about Glenda and how she'd work with her
                students - everything was so integrated into the harmonies of music
                and life.

                While he has left us here - it's nice to know that there is a part of
                him that is with us always.

                --
                Sincerely,
                Kira Wagner, Your Freedom Guide
                Message 7 of 13 , May 14 11:09 AM
                  I had a dream last night regarding Jim Casey. International had a video
                  of nothing but Jim directing a song. Everyone going to Denver received
                  a copy of the spots to learn. They put the video up on the big screen
                  and all 10000 people in the audience sang to his directing. Now THAT
                  would be a spectacular event.

                  Sandi Power
                  Bass, Cincinnati Sound