Re: BSQ SOund

  • Clare McCreary
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1 1:18 PM
      Supplying phantom power is not a problem. There are small power suppliers that will run off regular 120. The mic jack plugs into one end of the converter and the other end of the converter plugs into the amplifier. We are using such a set-up with AudioTech, small diaphragm mics (don't remember the number) and they appear to be doing a great job.

    • Shelley Herman
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1 6:25 PM
        > From: "Sam Sloane" <sed@...>
        >
        > I would love you guys to do a whole series....it would be a great
        > addition to the Harmonizer.

        Well, I write articles for industry magazines, and used to be an editor.

        If the BSQ audio professionals on this net would like to email articles to
        me, privately, I'd be glad to make a compendium for the Harmonizer if
        they'll have it, or just for reference on the Harmonet.

        Just keep it barbershop specific. The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook
        is the reference I recommend to people who want to be their chapter
        soundman. It has most of the basic information that is needed.

        Shelley Herman
        saherman@...
      • equinoxtenor
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 2 11:37 AM
          I must confess that I know absolutely nothing about audio technology
          (unless you count recording quartet rehearsals on my iPod). However, I
          do know something about Internet technology. If members of the
          community are interested, I could register the domain
          "barbershopsound.com" and host it on one of my servers. If someone
          with subject knowledge would volunteer to edit/curate the submissions,
          we could set up categories and maintain a library of submissions on
          all of these topics that seem to be of such interest to members of
          this forum.

          I say, why wait for the Harmonizer? There are enough well-informed
          people in this community to build a body of knowledge that would help
          the many out there who need help with this technology.

          Just throwing it out there...

          Dave Baker
          Equinox
          www.equinoxquartet.com
        • Clare McCreary
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 2 6:34 PM
            Dave wrote:
            <<<I could register the domain
            "barbershopsound.com" and host it on one of my servers. If someone
            with subject knowledge would volunteer to edit/curate the submissions,
            we could set up categories and maintain a library of submissions on
            all of these topics that seem to be of such interest to members of
            this forum.>>>

            I am the "sound man" for my chorus, but I know just enough about it to be dangerous. I would welcome some place where I could get more good, practical information (and become less dangerous). Perhaps include a section regarding systems in present use, their advantages, drawbacks etc.

            Clare McCreary, St. Pete FL

          • Martin Grandahl
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 3 1:27 PM
              > If members of the
              > community are interested, I could register the domain
              > "barbershopsound.com" and host it on one of my servers. If someone
              > with subject knowledge would volunteer to edit/curate the submissions,
              > we could set up categories and maintain a library of submissions on
              > all of these topics that seem to be of such interest to members of
              > this forum.

              Maybe hosting with one of the free wiki servers might be a solution -
              the software for maintaining the submissions would already be in place...

              Just a thought...

              --
              Martin Grandahl
              www.theAfterglowLounge.org
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 4 8:13 AM
                > Maybe hosting with one of the free wiki servers might be
                > a solution - the software for maintaining the submissions
                > would already be in place...

                I can certainly set it up in a wiki format. For those who don't know
                what we're talking about, a wiki (which comes from the Hawaiian word
                for "fast") is "a type of website that allows anyone visiting the site
                to add, remove, or otherwise edit all content, very quickly and
                easily, often without the need for registration. This ease of
                interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for
                collaborative writing."

                So far I've received one e-mail from an experienced sound engineer,
                and another from someone who wants to learn more. Here's my question
                to the knowledgeable pros out there: if I set up a wiki for barbershop
                sound technology, will you post to it? If we build it, will you come?

                Dave Baker
                Equinox Quartet
                www.equinoxquartet.com
              • Alan LeVezu
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 4 8:50 AM
                  Why limit it?

                  What about a general wiki for barbershop? There's a bunch of knowledge
                  out there that we can pass around that anyone might want to know about.
                  In other words, sound systems are only one category. We've got
                  knowledge on such diverse subjects as copyright law, barbershop
                  history, web design, choral conducting, statistics, wind chimes, etc.
                  I'm sure that if you build a Sound wiki people will visit it and update
                  it. But I'm even more sure that if you build a general wiki for
                  barbershop, then more people will do so.

                  Alan

                  PS, If there's any need, we could host it on the 4-Cast site. Although
                  a named site (like barbershopwiki.org or something similar) might be
                  better.

                  Alan LeVezu
                  alan@...
                  Co-Host: 4-Cast -- The only podcast on the web dedicated strictly to
                  barbershop harmony!
                  http://4-cast.tv

                  On Apr 4, 2006, at 8:13 AM, equinoxtenor wrote:

                  >> Maybe hosting with one of the free wiki servers might be
                  >> a solution - the software for maintaining the submissions
                  >> would already be in place...
                  >
                  > I can certainly set it up in a wiki format. For those who don't know
                  > what we're talking about, a wiki (which comes from the Hawaiian word
                  > for "fast") is "a type of website that allows anyone visiting the site
                  > to add, remove, or otherwise edit all content, very quickly and
                  > easily, often without the need for registration. This ease of
                  > interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for
                  > collaborative writing."
                  >
                  > So far I've received one e-mail from an experienced sound engineer,
                  > and another from someone who wants to learn more. Here's my question
                  > to the knowledgeable pros out there: if I set up a wiki for barbershop
                  > sound technology, will you post to it? If we build it, will you come?
                  >
                  > Dave Baker
                  > Equinox Quartet
                  > www.equinoxquartet.com
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Murray Phillips
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 4 9:39 AM
                    Alan LeVezu asked:

                    | Why limit it?
                    |
                    | What about a general wiki for barbershop?

                    The is a Barbershop music wiki included in the Wikipedia, the free
                    encyclopedia
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbershop_music

                    Whay reinvent the wheel. Besides, there are many thousands of people who
                    would be more like;ly to stumble across an entry in the Wikipedia than would
                    find a single subject wiki.

                    Just my opinion.

                    Murray Phillips
                    Join the Barbershop Singers Frappr Map!
                    http://www.frappr.com/barbershopsingers
                  • David Baker
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 4 10:16 AM
                      I would say "reinventing the wheel," in this case, would be a better idea. #1, we'd have more control over the content and site. #2, I think many people would be more likely to post to a barbershop-specific site than a massive conglomerate like the Wikipedia.

                      I currently run a private wiki for my quartet based on the open-source Kwiki code, which is nice. Also, according to network solutions, both barbershopwiki.com and .org are available. We'll see what others have to say, and then make a decision about what to do. Work for you guys?

                      Dave

                      Murray Phillips <imphillips@...> wrote:The is a Barbershop music wiki included in the Wikipedia, the free
                      encyclopedia
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbershop_music

                      Whay reinvent the wheel.

                    • Walt Miller
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 4 10:28 AM
                        The main reason that I can think of to use our own private wiki
                        and not the one on wikipedia is this. All inputs to the
                        wikipedia site have to go through a "committee" to be approved.
                        Anything that they deem as not suitable will be taken down. The
                        monitors are volunteers but would not (at least at first) be
                        knowledgeable barbershoppers.

                        I feel that the barbershop community would be more atuned to what
                        subject matter should be placed on the wiki. Most non-bbsers
                        would be totally baffled about the technicalities, traditions,
                        social impact and etc. of the barbershop world.

                        I feel that all matter put on either site should be
                        monitored...but by practicing barbershoppers.

                        Walt Miller
                        Singing Buckeyes

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 4 11:22 AM
                          > From: "equinoxtenor" <equinoxtenor@...>
                          > Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:13:28 -0000
                          > To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: [bbshop] Re: BSQ Sound
                          >
                          > (which comes from the Hawaiian word
                          > for "fast")

                          Sure explains the origin of the kwiki

                          Shelley Herman
                          saherman@...
                        • Charley Garrett
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 4 11:45 AM
                            I suppose that all that has been said applies somewhat to the quartet
                            seeking a PA that they can use for their own gigs, for venues that may lack
                            any facilities (or any good ones). But maybe there are differences in that
                            direction too. I'd be interested in hearing discussions in that direction
                            too.
                            I would say "reinventing the wheel," in this case, would be a better idea.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 4 12:43 PM
                              I went through the Wikipedia entry for barbershop music this morning,
                              as well as the discussion on it. It's clear from the entry and the
                              discussion that most of the people reviewing that entry aren't all
                              that knowledgeable about barbershop (although one of them is reading
                              "Four Parts, No Waiting", so that will help).

                              I've added comments to the discussion that will hopefully improve the
                              entry, but I think Walt is right that Wikipedia is probably not the
                              best place to host the sound reinforcement stuff.

                              Allan

                              Walt Miller wrote:
                              >The main reason that I can think of to use our own private wiki
                              >and not the one on wikipedia is this. All inputs to the
                              >wikipedia site have to go through a "committee" to be approved.
                              >Anything that they deem as not suitable will be taken down. The
                              >monitors are volunteers but would not (at least at first) be
                              >knowledgeable barbershoppers.
                              >
                              >I feel that the barbershop community would be more atuned to what
                              >subject matter should be placed on the wiki. Most non-bbsers
                              >would be totally baffled about the technicalities, traditions,
                              >social impact and etc. of the barbershop world.
                              >
                              >I feel that all matter put on either site should be
                              >monitored...but by practicing barbershoppers.
                              >
                              >Walt Miller
                              >Singing Buckeyes

                              -------------
                              Allan Webb
                              Staff IT Engineer, MCSE
                              Information Technology Department
                              QUALCOMM Incorporated
                              San Diego, CA
                              awebb@...
                            • Tom Schleier
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 4 12:56 PM
                                I wonder, now, about the Native American word "Wikieup" which is a type of hastily erected teepee.

                                Tom Schleier

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 4 1:14 PM
                                  From: Tom Schleier <fredsdad2001@...>
                                  Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:56:47 -0700 (PDT)

                                  I wonder, now, about the Native American word "Wikieup" which is a type of
                                  hastily erected teepee.

                                  I suppose you could have a kwiki in your wikieup. That's probably why it
                                  was hastily erected! (So to speak :-)

                                  Shelley Herman
                                  saherman@...

                                • Martin Grandahl
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 4 1:41 PM
                                    > Why limit it?
                                    > What about a general wiki for barbershop?

                                    Tom Metzger and I talked about this quite a bit about a year ago or
                                    so. Neither of us were really up on wikis, and neither of us had the
                                    time to learn, so it kind of fizzled out.

                                    I'm sure he'd still be interested, though, as am I. I'd still be
                                    interested in contributing what I can (OK...graphics.), and though I
                                    can't speak for Tom, he's into this kind of thing, so... =)

                                    Let those who are more knowledgable and available take it and run!
                                    The time has come....this thing should happen...

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 4 1:47 PM
                                      > The is a Barbershop music wiki included in
                                      > the Wikipedia, Whay reinvent the wheel.

                                      Because the one in the Wikipedia is basically oriented towards
                                      outsiders, while the one they are talking about creating would be for
                                      barbershoppers themselves.

                                      Details on sound, chapter management, running quartet rehearsals,
                                      coaching techniques....this is the kind of stuff that should be in the
                                      Barbershop Wiki. All the great knowledge that comes through the
                                      Harmonet and is gone the next day - unless you want to pore through
                                      endless archives trying to find one particular item...and that's only
                                      if you know it's there in the first place!

                                      The Barbershop Wiki would preserve knowledge, and would grow with time
                                      and become a great resource.

                                      Why reinvent the wheel? Why squash someone's ideas just because you
                                      don't understand them?

                                      > Besides, there are many thousands of people
                                      > who would be more like;ly to stumble across
                                      > an entry in the Wikipedia than would
                                      > find a single subject wiki.

                                      But just because they set up a Barbershop Wiki doesn't mean that the
                                      one in the Wikipedia would go away....people would still find
                                      it....and learn from it....and find us....and get involved....and then
                                      need the information in the Barbershop Wiki.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 4 2:01 PM
                                        Okay, I give in. There is a good reason to have both.

                                        Murray Phillips
                                      • Tom Schleier
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 4 3:14 PM
                                          This is not to imply that the lead of Late Night Barbershop is a Native American.

                                          Tom Schleier

                                          Shelley Herman <saherman@...> wrote:Re: [bbshop] Re: BSQ Sound

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 4 3:44 PM
                                            > The Barbershop Wiki would preserve knowledge, and
                                            > would grow with time and become a great resource.

                                            Gentlemen:

                                            Sounds like we have plenty of support for a barbershop wiki. Unless
                                            anyone has any objection, I'll go ahead and register the domain
                                            "barbershop . wiki . com" and get the wiki all set up and ready to go.
                                            I'll gladly spring for the 10 bucks it'll cost to acquire the domain,
                                            and make sure to bill myself $50 per month for hosting, which I will
                                            take off on my next year's taxes as a charitable contribution. :)

                                            I should be able to announce the "grand opening" within a day or two.
                                            I'll post to this forum when it's ready.

                                            In the meantime, I could use some help. I plan to "pre-wire" a number
                                            of pages and sections into the wiki, to give it a structure that we
                                            can all build on. Anyone who has any great ideas about the major
                                            headings and subheadings to start with can post to this list, or
                                            e-mail me directly with your ideas. Here are some of the ideas I came
                                            up with after 5 exhaustive minutes of brainstorming:

                                            * Chapter Operations (marketing, administration, show coordination, etc.)
                                            * Quartetting (warmup techniques, choosing music, choosing names, etc.)
                                            * Singing Valentines (marketing strategies, pricing, suggested songs,
                                            etc.)
                                            * Vocal Production (vowels, breathing, continuous sound, etc.)
                                            * Sound Technology (microphones, sound boards, recording equipment, etc.)
                                            * Copyright Issues (getting clearance, ASCAP, etc.)
                                            * Barbershop Arranging/Theory (chord structures, circle of fifths, etc.)
                                            * Barbershop Links (society sites, chapter sites, quartet sites, etc.)
                                            * History of Barbershop (the style, the organizations, the
                                            personalities, etc.)
                                            * How to Use a Wiki

                                            Lots of "et ceteras" in there, but you get the idea. I'm sure I've
                                            missed plenty. The cool think about a wiki is that you build it as you
                                            go. On the other hand, it's nice to have a schema in place when you
                                            begin that can serve as a framework as people make their own
                                            contributions.

                                            Feel free to chime in if you have any other suggestions.

                                            Dave Baker
                                            Equinox
                                            www.equinoxquartet.com

                                            P.S.: in case you're a purist (like me) or a linguistic snob (like me)
                                            or a former resident of Hawaii (like me), be sure to say "VEE-kee"
                                            instead of "WEE-kee." You're velcome.
                                          • Keith Beasley-Topliffe
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 5 8:55 AM
                                              As in

                                              Patient: I'm a wikiup. I'm a teepee. I'm a wikiup. I'm a teepee.
                                              Doctor: Your problem is you're too tense.

                                              (for the slower students: say it out loud)

                                              Keith Beasley-Topliffe
                                              Pastor, Liverpool (PA) United Methodist Church
                                              Tenor, Keystone Capital Chorus (Barbershop Harmony Society)
                                              Tenor, Saints and Singers quartet