Re: [bbshop] Re: BSQ Sound

  • John Elving
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1 5:13 AM
      While being a consultant in audio-video, mostly for churches, and not
      having the experience of Shelley, I have often thought that it would be
      great to have a series of articles. I know that I have found articles in
      other publications that have been very helpful. Several times I have
      been asked by choruses about what equipment to purchase. Unfortunately
      many times they go for the cheap instead of the more usable, but that
      becomes their choice.

      I can envision articles on equipment purchasing, i.e. what equipment is
      going to best serve the chorus in many types of environments. What are
      the choices of mixers, speakers, microphones, etc., and even recording
      equipment for making their own learning CDs. What's the difference
      between buying "cheap" and reasonably "thrifty".

      Not all (should I say many) choruses have the luxury of having a "pro"
      available to help with this part of the technical aspects of setting up
      and operating the equipment during a performance. I could see articles
      about positioning the mics, speakers, etc. for the optimum sound in many
      different situations.

      There are many issues to be tackled, and with the sophistication of our
      modern audio equipment, much could/should be written, including how to
      train the person using the equipment during the performance.

      Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

      John Elving
      Rapid City, SD

      Sam Sloane wrote:

      >I would love you guys to do a whole series....it would be a great
      >addition to the Harmonizer.

    • Clare McCreary
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1 1:18 PM
        Supplying phantom power is not a problem. There are small power suppliers that will run off regular 120. The mic jack plugs into one end of the converter and the other end of the converter plugs into the amplifier. We are using such a set-up with AudioTech, small diaphragm mics (don't remember the number) and they appear to be doing a great job.

      • Shelley Herman
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1 6:25 PM
          > From: "Sam Sloane" <sed@...>
          >
          > I would love you guys to do a whole series....it would be a great
          > addition to the Harmonizer.

          Well, I write articles for industry magazines, and used to be an editor.

          If the BSQ audio professionals on this net would like to email articles to
          me, privately, I'd be glad to make a compendium for the Harmonizer if
          they'll have it, or just for reference on the Harmonet.

          Just keep it barbershop specific. The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook
          is the reference I recommend to people who want to be their chapter
          soundman. It has most of the basic information that is needed.

          Shelley Herman
          saherman@...
        • equinoxtenor
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 2 11:37 AM
            I must confess that I know absolutely nothing about audio technology
            (unless you count recording quartet rehearsals on my iPod). However, I
            do know something about Internet technology. If members of the
            community are interested, I could register the domain
            "barbershopsound.com" and host it on one of my servers. If someone
            with subject knowledge would volunteer to edit/curate the submissions,
            we could set up categories and maintain a library of submissions on
            all of these topics that seem to be of such interest to members of
            this forum.

            I say, why wait for the Harmonizer? There are enough well-informed
            people in this community to build a body of knowledge that would help
            the many out there who need help with this technology.

            Just throwing it out there...

            Dave Baker
            Equinox
            www.equinoxquartet.com
          • Clare McCreary
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 2 6:34 PM
              Dave wrote:
              <<<I could register the domain
              "barbershopsound.com" and host it on one of my servers. If someone
              with subject knowledge would volunteer to edit/curate the submissions,
              we could set up categories and maintain a library of submissions on
              all of these topics that seem to be of such interest to members of
              this forum.>>>

              I am the "sound man" for my chorus, but I know just enough about it to be dangerous. I would welcome some place where I could get more good, practical information (and become less dangerous). Perhaps include a section regarding systems in present use, their advantages, drawbacks etc.

              Clare McCreary, St. Pete FL

            • Martin Grandahl
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 3 1:27 PM
                > If members of the
                > community are interested, I could register the domain
                > "barbershopsound.com" and host it on one of my servers. If someone
                > with subject knowledge would volunteer to edit/curate the submissions,
                > we could set up categories and maintain a library of submissions on
                > all of these topics that seem to be of such interest to members of
                > this forum.

                Maybe hosting with one of the free wiki servers might be a solution -
                the software for maintaining the submissions would already be in place...

                Just a thought...

                --
                Martin Grandahl
                www.theAfterglowLounge.org
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 4 8:13 AM
                  > Maybe hosting with one of the free wiki servers might be
                  > a solution - the software for maintaining the submissions
                  > would already be in place...

                  I can certainly set it up in a wiki format. For those who don't know
                  what we're talking about, a wiki (which comes from the Hawaiian word
                  for "fast") is "a type of website that allows anyone visiting the site
                  to add, remove, or otherwise edit all content, very quickly and
                  easily, often without the need for registration. This ease of
                  interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for
                  collaborative writing."

                  So far I've received one e-mail from an experienced sound engineer,
                  and another from someone who wants to learn more. Here's my question
                  to the knowledgeable pros out there: if I set up a wiki for barbershop
                  sound technology, will you post to it? If we build it, will you come?

                  Dave Baker
                  Equinox Quartet
                  www.equinoxquartet.com
                • Alan LeVezu
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 4 8:50 AM
                    Why limit it?

                    What about a general wiki for barbershop? There's a bunch of knowledge
                    out there that we can pass around that anyone might want to know about.
                    In other words, sound systems are only one category. We've got
                    knowledge on such diverse subjects as copyright law, barbershop
                    history, web design, choral conducting, statistics, wind chimes, etc.
                    I'm sure that if you build a Sound wiki people will visit it and update
                    it. But I'm even more sure that if you build a general wiki for
                    barbershop, then more people will do so.

                    Alan

                    PS, If there's any need, we could host it on the 4-Cast site. Although
                    a named site (like barbershopwiki.org or something similar) might be
                    better.

                    Alan LeVezu
                    alan@...
                    Co-Host: 4-Cast -- The only podcast on the web dedicated strictly to
                    barbershop harmony!
                    http://4-cast.tv

                    On Apr 4, 2006, at 8:13 AM, equinoxtenor wrote:

                    >> Maybe hosting with one of the free wiki servers might be
                    >> a solution - the software for maintaining the submissions
                    >> would already be in place...
                    >
                    > I can certainly set it up in a wiki format. For those who don't know
                    > what we're talking about, a wiki (which comes from the Hawaiian word
                    > for "fast") is "a type of website that allows anyone visiting the site
                    > to add, remove, or otherwise edit all content, very quickly and
                    > easily, often without the need for registration. This ease of
                    > interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for
                    > collaborative writing."
                    >
                    > So far I've received one e-mail from an experienced sound engineer,
                    > and another from someone who wants to learn more. Here's my question
                    > to the knowledgeable pros out there: if I set up a wiki for barbershop
                    > sound technology, will you post to it? If we build it, will you come?
                    >
                    > Dave Baker
                    > Equinox Quartet
                    > www.equinoxquartet.com
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Murray Phillips
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 4 9:39 AM
                      Alan LeVezu asked:

                      | Why limit it?
                      |
                      | What about a general wiki for barbershop?

                      The is a Barbershop music wiki included in the Wikipedia, the free
                      encyclopedia
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbershop_music

                      Whay reinvent the wheel. Besides, there are many thousands of people who
                      would be more like;ly to stumble across an entry in the Wikipedia than would
                      find a single subject wiki.

                      Just my opinion.

                      Murray Phillips
                      Join the Barbershop Singers Frappr Map!
                      http://www.frappr.com/barbershopsingers
                    • David Baker
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 4 10:16 AM
                        I would say "reinventing the wheel," in this case, would be a better idea. #1, we'd have more control over the content and site. #2, I think many people would be more likely to post to a barbershop-specific site than a massive conglomerate like the Wikipedia.

                        I currently run a private wiki for my quartet based on the open-source Kwiki code, which is nice. Also, according to network solutions, both barbershopwiki.com and .org are available. We'll see what others have to say, and then make a decision about what to do. Work for you guys?

                        Dave

                        Murray Phillips <imphillips@...> wrote:The is a Barbershop music wiki included in the Wikipedia, the free
                        encyclopedia
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbershop_music

                        Whay reinvent the wheel.

                      • Walt Miller
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 4 10:28 AM
                          The main reason that I can think of to use our own private wiki
                          and not the one on wikipedia is this. All inputs to the
                          wikipedia site have to go through a "committee" to be approved.
                          Anything that they deem as not suitable will be taken down. The
                          monitors are volunteers but would not (at least at first) be
                          knowledgeable barbershoppers.

                          I feel that the barbershop community would be more atuned to what
                          subject matter should be placed on the wiki. Most non-bbsers
                          would be totally baffled about the technicalities, traditions,
                          social impact and etc. of the barbershop world.

                          I feel that all matter put on either site should be
                          monitored...but by practicing barbershoppers.

                          Walt Miller
                          Singing Buckeyes

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 4 11:22 AM
                            > From: "equinoxtenor" <equinoxtenor@...>
                            > Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:13:28 -0000
                            > To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: [bbshop] Re: BSQ Sound
                            >
                            > (which comes from the Hawaiian word
                            > for "fast")

                            Sure explains the origin of the kwiki

                            Shelley Herman
                            saherman@...
                          • Charley Garrett
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 4 11:45 AM
                              I suppose that all that has been said applies somewhat to the quartet
                              seeking a PA that they can use for their own gigs, for venues that may lack
                              any facilities (or any good ones). But maybe there are differences in that
                              direction too. I'd be interested in hearing discussions in that direction
                              too.
                              I would say "reinventing the wheel," in this case, would be a better idea.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 4 12:43 PM
                                I went through the Wikipedia entry for barbershop music this morning,
                                as well as the discussion on it. It's clear from the entry and the
                                discussion that most of the people reviewing that entry aren't all
                                that knowledgeable about barbershop (although one of them is reading
                                "Four Parts, No Waiting", so that will help).

                                I've added comments to the discussion that will hopefully improve the
                                entry, but I think Walt is right that Wikipedia is probably not the
                                best place to host the sound reinforcement stuff.

                                Allan

                                Walt Miller wrote:
                                >The main reason that I can think of to use our own private wiki
                                >and not the one on wikipedia is this. All inputs to the
                                >wikipedia site have to go through a "committee" to be approved.
                                >Anything that they deem as not suitable will be taken down. The
                                >monitors are volunteers but would not (at least at first) be
                                >knowledgeable barbershoppers.
                                >
                                >I feel that the barbershop community would be more atuned to what
                                >subject matter should be placed on the wiki. Most non-bbsers
                                >would be totally baffled about the technicalities, traditions,
                                >social impact and etc. of the barbershop world.
                                >
                                >I feel that all matter put on either site should be
                                >monitored...but by practicing barbershoppers.
                                >
                                >Walt Miller
                                >Singing Buckeyes

                                -------------
                                Allan Webb
                                Staff IT Engineer, MCSE
                                Information Technology Department
                                QUALCOMM Incorporated
                                San Diego, CA
                                awebb@...
                              • Tom Schleier
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 4 12:56 PM
                                  I wonder, now, about the Native American word "Wikieup" which is a type of hastily erected teepee.

                                  Tom Schleier

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 4 1:14 PM
                                    From: Tom Schleier <fredsdad2001@...>
                                    Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:56:47 -0700 (PDT)

                                    I wonder, now, about the Native American word "Wikieup" which is a type of
                                    hastily erected teepee.

                                    I suppose you could have a kwiki in your wikieup. That's probably why it
                                    was hastily erected! (So to speak :-)

                                    Shelley Herman
                                    saherman@...

                                  • Martin Grandahl
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 4 1:41 PM
                                      > Why limit it?
                                      > What about a general wiki for barbershop?

                                      Tom Metzger and I talked about this quite a bit about a year ago or
                                      so. Neither of us were really up on wikis, and neither of us had the
                                      time to learn, so it kind of fizzled out.

                                      I'm sure he'd still be interested, though, as am I. I'd still be
                                      interested in contributing what I can (OK...graphics.), and though I
                                      can't speak for Tom, he's into this kind of thing, so... =)

                                      Let those who are more knowledgable and available take it and run!
                                      The time has come....this thing should happen...

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 4 1:47 PM
                                        > The is a Barbershop music wiki included in
                                        > the Wikipedia, Whay reinvent the wheel.

                                        Because the one in the Wikipedia is basically oriented towards
                                        outsiders, while the one they are talking about creating would be for
                                        barbershoppers themselves.

                                        Details on sound, chapter management, running quartet rehearsals,
                                        coaching techniques....this is the kind of stuff that should be in the
                                        Barbershop Wiki. All the great knowledge that comes through the
                                        Harmonet and is gone the next day - unless you want to pore through
                                        endless archives trying to find one particular item...and that's only
                                        if you know it's there in the first place!

                                        The Barbershop Wiki would preserve knowledge, and would grow with time
                                        and become a great resource.

                                        Why reinvent the wheel? Why squash someone's ideas just because you
                                        don't understand them?

                                        > Besides, there are many thousands of people
                                        > who would be more like;ly to stumble across
                                        > an entry in the Wikipedia than would
                                        > find a single subject wiki.

                                        But just because they set up a Barbershop Wiki doesn't mean that the
                                        one in the Wikipedia would go away....people would still find
                                        it....and learn from it....and find us....and get involved....and then
                                        need the information in the Barbershop Wiki.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 4 2:01 PM
                                          Okay, I give in. There is a good reason to have both.

                                          Murray Phillips
                                        • Tom Schleier
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 4 3:14 PM
                                            This is not to imply that the lead of Late Night Barbershop is a Native American.

                                            Tom Schleier

                                            Shelley Herman <saherman@...> wrote:Re: [bbshop] Re: BSQ Sound

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 4 3:44 PM
                                              > The Barbershop Wiki would preserve knowledge, and
                                              > would grow with time and become a great resource.

                                              Gentlemen:

                                              Sounds like we have plenty of support for a barbershop wiki. Unless
                                              anyone has any objection, I'll go ahead and register the domain
                                              "barbershop . wiki . com" and get the wiki all set up and ready to go.
                                              I'll gladly spring for the 10 bucks it'll cost to acquire the domain,
                                              and make sure to bill myself $50 per month for hosting, which I will
                                              take off on my next year's taxes as a charitable contribution. :)

                                              I should be able to announce the "grand opening" within a day or two.
                                              I'll post to this forum when it's ready.

                                              In the meantime, I could use some help. I plan to "pre-wire" a number
                                              of pages and sections into the wiki, to give it a structure that we
                                              can all build on. Anyone who has any great ideas about the major
                                              headings and subheadings to start with can post to this list, or
                                              e-mail me directly with your ideas. Here are some of the ideas I came
                                              up with after 5 exhaustive minutes of brainstorming:

                                              * Chapter Operations (marketing, administration, show coordination, etc.)
                                              * Quartetting (warmup techniques, choosing music, choosing names, etc.)
                                              * Singing Valentines (marketing strategies, pricing, suggested songs,
                                              etc.)
                                              * Vocal Production (vowels, breathing, continuous sound, etc.)
                                              * Sound Technology (microphones, sound boards, recording equipment, etc.)
                                              * Copyright Issues (getting clearance, ASCAP, etc.)
                                              * Barbershop Arranging/Theory (chord structures, circle of fifths, etc.)
                                              * Barbershop Links (society sites, chapter sites, quartet sites, etc.)
                                              * History of Barbershop (the style, the organizations, the
                                              personalities, etc.)
                                              * How to Use a Wiki

                                              Lots of "et ceteras" in there, but you get the idea. I'm sure I've
                                              missed plenty. The cool think about a wiki is that you build it as you
                                              go. On the other hand, it's nice to have a schema in place when you
                                              begin that can serve as a framework as people make their own
                                              contributions.

                                              Feel free to chime in if you have any other suggestions.

                                              Dave Baker
                                              Equinox
                                              www.equinoxquartet.com

                                              P.S.: in case you're a purist (like me) or a linguistic snob (like me)
                                              or a former resident of Hawaii (like me), be sure to say "VEE-kee"
                                              instead of "WEE-kee." You're velcome.
                                            • Keith Beasley-Topliffe
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 5 8:55 AM
                                                As in

                                                Patient: I'm a wikiup. I'm a teepee. I'm a wikiup. I'm a teepee.
                                                Doctor: Your problem is you're too tense.

                                                (for the slower students: say it out loud)

                                                Keith Beasley-Topliffe
                                                Pastor, Liverpool (PA) United Methodist Church
                                                Tenor, Keystone Capital Chorus (Barbershop Harmony Society)
                                                Tenor, Saints and Singers quartet