Re: VA politicians "sing" Shenandoah

  • Bob Caldwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: name withheld To: bobcaldwell@...
      Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2006 12:36:54 PM
      Subject: VA politicians "sing" Shenandoah

      Bob –

      Here’s something that you need to see and listen to. As you may know, the Commonwealth of Virginia is currently without a state song. This link from the Post discusses a recent attempt to get Shenandoah passed as the official song, with amended lyrics that incorporate the word “Virginia.” The legislation did not pass.

      Of note (pun intended), there are a number of recorded snippets of VA state senators and delegates attempting to sing the song. I did not listen to them all, but the ones I heard were…well…you be the judge.

      Perhaps we should send the lyrics to our friend, Sen. Patricia Ticer? At least she is an ardent supporter of the arts in Alexandria.

      Of particular concern…what’s with loving Shenandoah’s daughter? Is that a verse I missed? Sounds creepy to me.

      Congratulations to State Sen. Charles Hawkins for his performance.

      Best to you Bob -

      http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/richmondreport/2006/03/name_that_tune_.html

      Thanks
      . They were pretty sad weren't they. Unfortunately, they were not in a position to ask Va Senator John Chichester because he's a former barbershop lead and can still sing (last I sang a tag with him).

      http://www.wm.edu/news/?id=3257 <--- a piece on John

      Back when the Va General Assembly retired Carry Me Back To Old Virginny to emeritus status and was searching for another, Jimmy Dean and others including Gary Parker (Dealer's Choice bass and Director of The Virginians at the time) wrote songs they submitted for consideration. The VAs recorded Gary's song (Take Me Home To Virginia) and presented it to the committee.

      Below the words to Oh Shenandoah extracted from a web site. I do not attest to their accuracy.

      Here is another link to a sea chanty site (a little history might help with the meaning behind the words) that includes Shenandoah at the bottom:
      http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/folkden-wp/?cat=11 and includes an MP3 you can play.

      Shenandoah
      Traditional - Lyrics from Capstan Bars, by David Bone

      Oh, Shenandoah's my native valley.
      Aa-way, you rolling river!
      Shenandoah is my native valley.
      Ah-way, we're bound to go, 'cross th' wide Missouri!

      Oh, Shenandoah, it's far I wander.
      Aa-way, you rolling river!
      Shenandoah, it's far I wander.
      Ah-way, we're bound to go, 'cross th' wide Missouri!

      Oh, Shenandoah has rushing waters.
      Aa-way, you rolling river!
      Shenandoah has rushing waters.
      Ah-way, we're bound to go, 'cross th' wide Missouri!

      Oh, Shenandoah, I love your daughters.
      Aa-way, you rolling river!
      Shenandoah, I love your daughters.
      Ah-way, we're bound to go, 'cross th' wide Missouri!

      Oh, Shenandoah, I long to see you.
      Aa-way, you rolling river!
      Shenandoah, I long to see you.
      Ah-way, we're bound to go, 'cross th' wide Missouri!

      Oh, Shenandoah, I'm boun' t' leave you.
      Aa-way, you rolling river!
      Shenandoah, I'm boun' t' leave you.
      Ah-way, we're bound to go, 'cross th' wide Missouri!

      Oh, Shenandoah, I'll never grieve you.
      Aa-way, you rolling river!
      Shenandoah, I'll never grieve you.
      Ah-way, we're bound to go, 'cross th' wide Missouri!

      Harmony-us-ly, BobCaldwell@...
      [ 7th Street ] 703.506-8229 x6170
      Ben Bob Ken & Rob @{\ \ \ \ \[|
      *City Slickers* 804.241.6957 [|;^}oX
      2003 International Senior Bronze Medalist
      2003 & 2006 M-AD Senior Quartet Champs
      1998 Virginians Quartet Hall of Fame
      1997-2000 M-AD Southern Division Champs