How big a problem?

  • Frank Leitnaker
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hi all,

      I would like very much to get an estimate of the total size of the
      following problem:

      How many barbershoppers use MIDI files to learn their voice parts but would
      really prefer a different sound from the one used to make some of the MIDI
      files they have heard? Plus how many DON'T use MIDI files simply because the
      sound is annoying but another standard sound would be acceptable?

      So if either applies to you, I just need a head-count: just a tap on the
      "reply" key--NOT "reply all"--and then "send" is all I need. Just delete
      this message if it doesn't apply to you.

      Why do I care and why should you care? See last paragraph below.

      I already know there is a wide variation in sound preference and no specific
      sound except atonal ones is unacceptable to everyone. Likewise no specific
      sound is acceptable to everyone. I also know that many barbershoppers
      wouldn't be caught dead using a MIDI file. I know about Harmony
      Assistant/Virtual Singer and maybe even some other approaches others prefer.
      So I don't need a lot of your time on tangential matters, much as I
      appreciate your thoughtfulness. I just need your headcount if you are a
      member of the small group I am looking for. If you are, I promise to let it
      go at that. I will not bug you for more information nor will I save your
      edress for any other purpose.

      Why do I care? Because it has been brought to my attention that such
      people exist and that this situation creates a significant barrier for
      people learning their parts outside of rehearsals. If, indeed, there is a
      significant requirement, I intend to develop the capability to input any
      MIDI file and output one that is most agreeable to the individual user. I
      think the ideal would be a simple single-purpose freeware program that such
      people could install on their own computers. Unless and until such is
      found, I intend to provide this service personally on request after I
      acquire the capability.

      Gee, I hope I made this clear!

      Frank Leitnaker