Re: In search of ideas

  • Condon Thomas A KPWA
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      Andy,

      Bill is obviously too modest (the Purple Singing Judge?) to mention it, but
      both he and Joe Liles teach a class at HC called "Tune It Or Die" which is a
      great start on this weekend of information. There should also be hands on
      examples, lots of practice at some of the basics of singing barbershop (any
      number of great coaches could help there), some real enthusiasm building
      times (again, any number of great coaches...) and lots of camaraderie
      (singing together and tagging 'til the wee hours).

      Come to think of it, most of the districts run a weekend like this and call
      it their Harmony College or Harmony Enhancement Program (mini-HEP school is
      what they used to be called). If that isn't what you are getting out of
      your district's HC, you should talk to your District Music & Performance VP
      and see if he can improve the school along those lines.

      In A Chord,

      Tom Condon
      War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
    • TJ Barranger
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
        Hi Andy,

        I think a good "bootcamp" or retreat weekend ought to include some
        non-singing "team building" exercises.

        A lot of times, we clobber guys over the head with technique without
        driving home the most important aspect of good ensemble singing...that it
        is by definition a collaborative effort which can't be achieved by one
        person alone. Developing a good ensemble sound is easier if you
        influence individuals to function as a unit.

        Check out some ideas at www.wilderdom.com/games/initiativegames.html

        In Harmony,

        T. J. Barranger
        Director
        The Sons of the Severn
        2005 M-AD Western Div. Intermediate Chorus Champion
        www.harmonize.com/SOTS

        "Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:35:04 -0000
        From: "andyharris1us" <andyharris1us@...>
        Subject: In search of ideas

        Hi, all:

        I'm looking for different ways to immerse my chorus in the hobby and
        have them coming away knowing more about singing technique and
        barbershopping in general. I'm not referring to bringing in a coach
        to work on a specific song or package. Instead, I'd like to present
        an intense event which gives the member knowledge of singing and on
        barbershopping specifically.

        If you were to design a weekend "barbershop bootcamp," what kind of
        curriculum would you come up with? Any and all ideas are welcome.

        If you have ideas, please post them on the Harmonet so you can share
        the wealth with other musical leaders in a similar boat.

        Andy Harris
        Morris County Chapter"

      • Condon Thomas A KPWA
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
          T. J. Barranger wrote:

          > Check out some ideas at www.wilderdom.com/games/initiativegames.html

          Wow! What a great reference page. Thanks.

          Note, though, that capitalization seems to be important:
          http://www.wilderdom.com/games/InitiativeGames.html
          worked, while the one listed did not.