Re: [bbshop] In search of ideas

  • Keith Eckhardt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      I suggest you show the 45 minute video by Dave Stevens on "What Are We
      Trying To Preserve". He makes the points well and it is exceptionally fun.
      Go to http://store.yahoo.com/harmonymarketplace/whatvid.html to order it for
      only $15. I think every chorus would enjoy reviewing it every 2-3 years.
      Add 15 minutes for lively discussion and you have an hour block for your
      weekend program.

      Keith Eckhardt
      Placerville, CA

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
        Come to think of it, Greg Lyne's "Building a Better Chorus" is a great tool
        about what we do to create our sound. It's available from the Society for a
        very modest charge.

        http://store.yahoo.com/harmonymarketplace/builbetchorv.html

        Bill Biffle
        Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
        M: 505-401-4963
        bbiffle@...

        > A portion of the time should be spent, I believe, on the things that make
        > our kind of singing different from any other - vocal tone, tuning,
        > balance,
        > vowel matching, synchronization - all things that create the distinctive
        > barbershop ring.
        >
        > Also some general things about how our way of harmonizing songs
        > accomplishes
        > the same thing - with some historical info, of course.
        >
        > Some playing of historical recordings would be fun, too!
        >
        > Looking forward to hearing a lot of ideas from folks on this forum!
        >
        > Bill Biffle
        > Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
        > M: 505-401-4963
        > bbiffle@...

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Condon Thomas A KPWA
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          Andy,

          Bill is obviously too modest (the Purple Singing Judge?) to mention it, but
          both he and Joe Liles teach a class at HC called "Tune It Or Die" which is a
          great start on this weekend of information. There should also be hands on
          examples, lots of practice at some of the basics of singing barbershop (any
          number of great coaches could help there), some real enthusiasm building
          times (again, any number of great coaches...) and lots of camaraderie
          (singing together and tagging 'til the wee hours).

          Come to think of it, most of the districts run a weekend like this and call
          it their Harmony College or Harmony Enhancement Program (mini-HEP school is
          what they used to be called). If that isn't what you are getting out of
          your district's HC, you should talk to your District Music & Performance VP
          and see if he can improve the school along those lines.

          In A Chord,

          Tom Condon
          War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
        • TJ Barranger
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
            Hi Andy,

            I think a good "bootcamp" or retreat weekend ought to include some
            non-singing "team building" exercises.

            A lot of times, we clobber guys over the head with technique without
            driving home the most important aspect of good ensemble singing...that it
            is by definition a collaborative effort which can't be achieved by one
            person alone. Developing a good ensemble sound is easier if you
            influence individuals to function as a unit.

            Check out some ideas at www.wilderdom.com/games/initiativegames.html

            In Harmony,

            T. J. Barranger
            Director
            The Sons of the Severn
            2005 M-AD Western Div. Intermediate Chorus Champion
            www.harmonize.com/SOTS

            "Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:35:04 -0000

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
              T. J. Barranger wrote:

              > Check out some ideas at www.wilderdom.com/games/initiativegames.html

              Wow! What a great reference page. Thanks.

              Note, though, that capitalization seems to be important:
              http://www.wilderdom.com/games/InitiativeGames.html
              worked, while the one listed did not.