RE: [bbshop] In search of ideas

  • Bill Biffle
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      What a great idea, Andy!

      A portion of the time should be spent, I believe, on the things that make
      our kind of singing different from any other - vocal tone, tuning, balance,
      vowel matching, synchronization - all things that create the distinctive
      barbershop ring.

      Also some general things about how our way of harmonizing songs accomplishes
      the same thing - with some historical info, of course.

      Some playing of historical recordings would be fun, too!

      Looking forward to hearing a lot of ideas from folks on this forum!

      Bill Biffle
      Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
      M: 505-401-4963
      bbiffle@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
        I suggest you show the 45 minute video by Dave Stevens on "What Are We
        Trying To Preserve". He makes the points well and it is exceptionally fun.
        Go to http://store.yahoo.com/harmonymarketplace/whatvid.html to order it for
        only $15. I think every chorus would enjoy reviewing it every 2-3 years.
        Add 15 minutes for lively discussion and you have an hour block for your
        weekend program.

        Keith Eckhardt
        Placerville, CA

        > A portion of the time should be spent, I believe, on the things that make
        > our kind of singing different from any other - vocal tone, tuning,
        > balance,
        > vowel matching, synchronization - all things that create the distinctive
        > barbershop ring.
        >
        > Also some general things about how our way of harmonizing songs
        > accomplishes
        > the same thing - with some historical info, of course.
        >
        > Some playing of historical recordings would be fun, too!
        >
        > Looking forward to hearing a lot of ideas from folks on this forum!
        >
        > Bill Biffle
        > Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
        > M: 505-401-4963
        > bbiffle@...

      • Bill Biffle
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          Come to think of it, Greg Lyne's "Building a Better Chorus" is a great tool
          about what we do to create our sound. It's available from the Society for a
          very modest charge.

          http://store.yahoo.com/harmonymarketplace/builbetchorv.html

          Bill Biffle
          Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
          M: 505-401-4963
          bbiffle@...

          > A portion of the time should be spent, I believe, on the things that make
          > our kind of singing different from any other - vocal tone, tuning,
          > balance,
          > vowel matching, synchronization - all things that create the distinctive
          > barbershop ring.
          >
          > Also some general things about how our way of harmonizing songs
          > accomplishes
          > the same thing - with some historical info, of course.
          >
          > Some playing of historical recordings would be fun, too!
          >
          > Looking forward to hearing a lot of ideas from folks on this forum!
          >
          > Bill Biffle
          > Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
          > M: 505-401-4963
          > bbiffle@...

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Condon Thomas A KPWA
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            Andy,

            Bill is obviously too modest (the Purple Singing Judge?) to mention it, but
            both he and Joe Liles teach a class at HC called "Tune It Or Die" which is a
            great start on this weekend of information. There should also be hands on
            examples, lots of practice at some of the basics of singing barbershop (any
            number of great coaches could help there), some real enthusiasm building
            times (again, any number of great coaches...) and lots of camaraderie
            (singing together and tagging 'til the wee hours).

            Come to think of it, most of the districts run a weekend like this and call
            it their Harmony College or Harmony Enhancement Program (mini-HEP school is
            what they used to be called). If that isn't what you are getting out of
            your district's HC, you should talk to your District Music & Performance VP
            and see if he can improve the school along those lines.

            In A Chord,

            Tom Condon
            War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
          • TJ Barranger
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
              Hi Andy,

              I think a good "bootcamp" or retreat weekend ought to include some
              non-singing "team building" exercises.

              A lot of times, we clobber guys over the head with technique without
              driving home the most important aspect of good ensemble singing...that it
              is by definition a collaborative effort which can't be achieved by one
              person alone. Developing a good ensemble sound is easier if you
              influence individuals to function as a unit.

              Check out some ideas at www.wilderdom.com/games/initiativegames.html

              In Harmony,

              T. J. Barranger
              Director
              The Sons of the Severn
              2005 M-AD Western Div. Intermediate Chorus Champion
              www.harmonize.com/SOTS

              "Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:35:04 -0000

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                T. J. Barranger wrote:

                > Check out some ideas at www.wilderdom.com/games/initiativegames.html

                Wow! What a great reference page. Thanks.

                Note, though, that capitalization seems to be important:
                http://www.wilderdom.com/games/InitiativeGames.html
                worked, while the one listed did not.