In search of ideas

  • andyharris1us
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi, all:

      I'm looking for different ways to immerse my chorus in the hobby and
      have them coming away knowing more about singing technique and
      barbershopping in general. I'm not referring to bringing in a coach
      to work on a specific song or package. Instead, I'd like to present
      an intense event which gives the member knowledge of singing and on
      barbershopping specifically.

      If you were to design a weekend "barbershop bootcamp," what kind of
      curriculum would you come up with? Any and all ideas are welcome.

      If you have ideas, please post them on the Harmonet so you can share
      the wealth with other musical leaders in a similar boat.

      Andy Harris
      Morris County Chapter
    • Bill Biffle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
        What a great idea, Andy!

        A portion of the time should be spent, I believe, on the things that make
        our kind of singing different from any other - vocal tone, tuning, balance,
        vowel matching, synchronization - all things that create the distinctive
        barbershop ring.

        Also some general things about how our way of harmonizing songs accomplishes
        the same thing - with some historical info, of course.

        Some playing of historical recordings would be fun, too!

        Looking forward to hearing a lot of ideas from folks on this forum!

        Bill Biffle
        Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
        M: 505-401-4963
        bbiffle@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          I suggest you show the 45 minute video by Dave Stevens on "What Are We
          Trying To Preserve". He makes the points well and it is exceptionally fun.
          Go to http://store.yahoo.com/harmonymarketplace/whatvid.html to order it for
          only $15. I think every chorus would enjoy reviewing it every 2-3 years.
          Add 15 minutes for lively discussion and you have an hour block for your
          weekend program.

          Keith Eckhardt
          Placerville, CA

          > A portion of the time should be spent, I believe, on the things that make
          > our kind of singing different from any other - vocal tone, tuning,
          > balance,
          > vowel matching, synchronization - all things that create the distinctive
          > barbershop ring.
          >
          > Also some general things about how our way of harmonizing songs
          > accomplishes
          > the same thing - with some historical info, of course.
          >
          > Some playing of historical recordings would be fun, too!
          >
          > Looking forward to hearing a lot of ideas from folks on this forum!
          >
          > Bill Biffle
          > Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
          > M: 505-401-4963
          > bbiffle@...

        • Bill Biffle
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            Come to think of it, Greg Lyne's "Building a Better Chorus" is a great tool
            about what we do to create our sound. It's available from the Society for a
            very modest charge.

            http://store.yahoo.com/harmonymarketplace/builbetchorv.html

            Bill Biffle
            Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
            M: 505-401-4963
            bbiffle@...

            > A portion of the time should be spent, I believe, on the things that make
            > our kind of singing different from any other - vocal tone, tuning,
            > balance,
            > vowel matching, synchronization - all things that create the distinctive
            > barbershop ring.
            >
            > Also some general things about how our way of harmonizing songs
            > accomplishes
            > the same thing - with some historical info, of course.
            >
            > Some playing of historical recordings would be fun, too!
            >
            > Looking forward to hearing a lot of ideas from folks on this forum!
            >
            > Bill Biffle
            > Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
            > M: 505-401-4963
            > bbiffle@...

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Condon Thomas A KPWA
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              Andy,

              Bill is obviously too modest (the Purple Singing Judge?) to mention it, but
              both he and Joe Liles teach a class at HC called "Tune It Or Die" which is a
              great start on this weekend of information. There should also be hands on
              examples, lots of practice at some of the basics of singing barbershop (any
              number of great coaches could help there), some real enthusiasm building
              times (again, any number of great coaches...) and lots of camaraderie
              (singing together and tagging 'til the wee hours).

              Come to think of it, most of the districts run a weekend like this and call
              it their Harmony College or Harmony Enhancement Program (mini-HEP school is
              what they used to be called). If that isn't what you are getting out of
              your district's HC, you should talk to your District Music & Performance VP
              and see if he can improve the school along those lines.

              In A Chord,

              Tom Condon
              War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
            • TJ Barranger
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                Hi Andy,

                I think a good "bootcamp" or retreat weekend ought to include some
                non-singing "team building" exercises.

                A lot of times, we clobber guys over the head with technique without
                driving home the most important aspect of good ensemble singing...that it
                is by definition a collaborative effort which can't be achieved by one
                person alone. Developing a good ensemble sound is easier if you
                influence individuals to function as a unit.

                Check out some ideas at www.wilderdom.com/games/initiativegames.html

                In Harmony,

                T. J. Barranger
                Director
                The Sons of the Severn
                2005 M-AD Western Div. Intermediate Chorus Champion
                www.harmonize.com/SOTS

                "Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:35:04 -0000

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                  T. J. Barranger wrote:

                  > Check out some ideas at www.wilderdom.com/games/initiativegames.html

                  Wow! What a great reference page. Thanks.

                  Note, though, that capitalization seems to be important:
                  http://www.wilderdom.com/games/InitiativeGames.html
                  worked, while the one listed did not.