Re: [bbs_sectionleaders] passing "tapes"

  • John Elving
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      I think that it all depends on what kind of chorus your chapter has. If
      you are a "c" chorus that really is a social gathering, but not geared
      toward being one of the top 30 at international, then forget the taping.
      It will only cause grief. Sort of like the story about teaching the pig
      to sing.

      If, on the other hand, you want to be the best, or at least be
      considered a "B" chorus, then I think that taping can be a good thing. I
      say can be because it depends on how it is done. If you are checking all
      the notes and words and putting "gig marks on the music for the singer
      to see, it can be very defeating & discouraging.

      My preference is to use taping as a "voice improvement" tool. Encourage
      the singer for what he/she has accomplished and give POSITIVE
      suggestions for further improvement. People don't want to be bad
      singers. They want to be better. But sometimes we discourage them be
      having too many "thous shalt nots" and too few attaboys.

      Different personality types respond in different ways to perceived
      criticism. But using taping as a one-on-one voice lesson session, or
      vocal improvement session within the context of the chorus sound is
      usually well received by one and all. Perfection shouldn't be the name
      of the game for any of us, but improvement in individual performance
      within the group should be what we are striving for.

      John Elving
      leaderman@...
      "Shrine of Democracy Chorus"
      Rapid City, SD