The Acts of Remembrance

  • Graham Fagan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2005
      The Acts of Remembrance
      This coming Friday , in Canada , we observe Rememberance Day and , at that 11th hour , of the 11th day , of the 11th month , there will be 2 minutes of silence at Cenotaphs and offices and the streets across our country in honour of those who gave the supreme sacrifice . You may have noticed that Canadians still wear poppies on their lapels at this time of year .

      I've only recently discovered that every evening since Nov. 11 ,1929 the Last Post is sounded at the Menin Gate Memorial on the East side of Ypres ....That is , with the exception of the German Occupation years 1940-1944......but the tradition was re-started the very evening Ypres was liberated . Traffic ceases and stillness descends for a few moments .

      During 2005 , Canadians are celebrating the " Year of the Veteran " ...........60 years after the end of World War 2 .

      In honour of those heroes , I humbly submit the following offerings ........." In Flanders Fields " was written by a young Canadian ( from Ontario ) who , sadly , did not return .

      Graham Fagan
      Greater Toronto

      In Flanders Fields

      In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
      That mark our place; and in the sky
      The larks, still bravely singing, fly
      Scarce heard amid the guns below.

      We are the Dead. Short days ago
      We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
      Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
      In Flanders fields.

      Take up our quarrel with the foe:
      To you from failing hands we throw
      The torch; be yours to hold it high.
      If ye break faith with us who die
      We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
      In Flanders fields

      John McCrae
      Flanders, near Ypres
      May 2, 1915

      THE LAST POST

      Come home!
      Come home!
      The last post is sounding for you to hear.
      All good soldiers know very well there is nothing to fear while they do what is right,
      and forget all the worries they have met in their duties through the year.
      A soldier cannot always be great, but he can be a gentleman and he can be a right good pal to his comrades in his squad.

      So all you soldiers listen to this -
      Deal fair by all and you'll never be amiss.

      Be Brave!
      Be Just!
      Be Honest and True Men!