Looking for 1968 “Keep America Singing”

  • mcintyrejn
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2005
      Hello! I am looking to purchase on DVD/VHS a copy of a television
      appearance my father-in-law, Norman Bone, made while bass in the
      Barbershop Quartet "The Gaslight Harmony Four." The one-hour, Forth
      of July themed variety special, "Keep America Singing," was produced
      by MetroMedia Television in Los Angeles (Channel 11), and starred
      Herb Shriner and Margaret Whiting. It was aired in 1968 and
      rebroadcast in 1970. There are several specials by the same name,
      (including: Keep America Singing, 1974; BBC, 1/2 hour special; Keep
      America Singing, August 1994; PBS: one-hour special; and Voices In
      Harmony: Keep America Singing II, December 1996; PBS, 1 hour
      special), but I am after the 1968 show.

      Norm was a member of two Far Western District Champion quartets, in
      1968-69 with "The Gas Light Harmony Four," and in 1971-72 with
      the "Californians."

      I would very much like to surprise him with it, maybe for Christmas.
      That would be fun! In his mid-seventies now, Norm is retired (he was
      an electrical contractor in Southern California), and is living in
      Salem, Oregon. No surprise, he is the director of a 25-member
      barbershop chorus "The Breeze." Anyway, a copy of the show would
      mean a great deal to him. Can you help me, or suggest whom I should
      contact?

      Thank you!
      Jim McIntyre
      mcintyrejn at aol dot com