GHG Set

  • Sutton, Robert
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2001
      To all --

      Before Kipp chimes in, here are the scores for the 1992 and 1993
      performances of "Bright was the Night" by the Gas House Gang at
      International. Scores notwithstanding, 1992 in New Orleans had the audience
      on their seat edges for NOT knowing what was coming, while in Calgary in
      1993 we were on our seat edges for KNOWING what was coming. Both were
      remarkable, but the first time was a landmark performance right up with
      anything I'll ever be privileged to see.

      Please remember that the scoring categories then were Sound, Stage Presence,
      Interpretation (all on a 0-100 scale) and Arrangement (on a +20 to -19 scale
      based on specific items in the chart as performed). The changes after
      Calgary don't affect this quartet; they were the last winners in the old
      system. On a three judge panel, the scores were:

      Sound: 1992 -- 283 points 1993 -- 273 points
      Interpretation: 1992 -- 272 points 1993 -- 274 points
      Stage Presence: 1992 -- 273 points 1993 -- 269 points
      Arrangement: 1992 -- +3 points 1993 -- +13 points

      All three Sound judges were the same in both contests, as were one each of
      the Interpretation and Stage Presence judges. I'll let the panels comment,
      but I think most of us would regard the offsetting Arrangement and Sound
      score difference of 3 points per judge a year apart as barely notable. My
      personal opinion is that no audience member from New Orleans could hear the
      piece again in the same way -- I certainly was there both times and still
      would pay to watch and hear them do it -- as they did in 1992.

      This naturally raises the discussion point of the impact of the "first time"
      for such a piece on scoring. I'd be glad to say that I think in the current
      system, such an impact would be rewarded if a miracle might recur and
      another group might resurrect a piece in a similar fashion. (It's also
      related to why I never, EVER introduce a song in any of my quartets by
      mentioning the name of the song. Never. Not once. We're storytellers,
      after all, and telling the name of the song is tantamount to giving away the
      punchline of the story).

      Anyway, you now have the facts on the scoring, and it probably answers
      nothing.

      Regards

      Bob Sutton
      Alexandria, VA chapter
      bsutton@...
    • bradnann@iquest.net
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2001
        --- In bbshop@y..., "Sutton, Robert" <bsutton@A...> wrote:
        ... 1992 in New Orleans had the audience on their seat edges for NOT
        knowing what was coming ... the first time was a landmark performance
        right up with ... anything I'll ever be privileged to see ...

        Yes, and I remember it like it was yesterday. One thing worth
        noting, too, is I believe GHG won the first and third sets, but
        Keepsake's semi-finals set scored enough points that they came out on
        top overall.

        Keepsake sang "Roses of Piccardy" in that second set, and I remember
        being only halfway up the stairs of the raised section when they came
        out, so I sat down on a step to watch them sing. An uncomfortable
        seat, but a great performance!

        Then, GHG came out in the finals and blew us all away with "Shine"
        and "Bright Was The Night." I agree that it had more impact the
        first time around that it did the following year. Talk about chills
        and goosebumps!

        Back in 1998 on this list, there was a thread about Greatest
        Performances. Here's what I said at the time about that contest:

        "The best friendly rivalry: Keepsake singing 'Roses of Piccardy' in
        the second round, and Gas House Gang following up with 'Bright Was
        the Night' in the finals (SPEBSQSA, New Orleans, 1992). What a horse
        race!"

        Gee, that reference to horse races brings back memories of GHG's
        jockey set and those funny little inflatable horses around their
        waists! Yes, I think GHG gave us many fine contest sets while they
        were on the competition circuit.

        Ann McAlexander
        Capital City Chorus, SAI
        Associate Member, HI