Re: Best International Contest Set

  • gotchabari@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2001
      --- In bbshop@y..., "Jack Martin" <jwmartin@g...> wrote:

      > Then of course there was the GHG winning in Calgary in 1993
      > singing "Bright was the Night" If memory serves me they also sang
      > this song in 92 in the N'alins contest but didn't have the same
      > impact there.

      Hey, Jack and friends,

      I'll agree with Jack on the song (accompanied by "Roll Them Bones"),
      but I'll take 1992 over their champ year. I bet my opinion is framed
      mainly in "newness". I wonder which year scored higher. Kipp... any
      help?

      I've been to every Int'l since 1988, but was 10 when I started, so it
      wasn't until recently that I appreciated glorious performances. Since
      the question has been thrown in to packages, I can come up with so
      many "wanna be" packages of two awesome songs done in the same
      contest, but different sets:

      1. Nightlife, 1996: Quarters- "Mason-Dixon Line", I had seen them do
      bettre, but still just an awesome song. Semis- "Basin Street Blues",
      simply unforgettable. I remember pounding out the rhythm with my fist
      on my neighbors knee, and he doing the same. Flawless, as agreed by
      judge Brent Graham, who awarded them with a 100.

      2. Power Play, 2000: Semis- "Time After Time", Mike Slamka, my
      all-time favorite lead. Not only on stage, but off. It's amazing to
      stand behind stage as a fellow top-tenner and stand there melting
      compliments to him (and them) when they were about to win a medal they
      had earned twice previously (of course, in my opinion only!) as a
      fan instead of a competitor. Finals- "For Sale- One Broken Heart",
      again, Mike's expression is unparalleled to my ear.

      3. Platinum, 1999: Finals- "Cuddle Up...", watching on the video is
      even more fun than live. You watch the faces of then having such a
      hit that they can enjoy their finals set as almost an "acceptance
      song" feeling. Above and beyond the dreams of those chasing a medal
      is the "unreachable" feeling of slam-dunking early and enjoying the
      rest of the ride. Especially the tag!!! You watch Kevin hit his
      hanger in such a "spot" that he can't go wrong, and watch the other
      3's faces liven up with a "let's nail this" look. And they did!! I
      have never seen/heard a chord lock faster than that very last chord.
      Truly magical! Thanks, guys! Some night (????)- "Auld Lang Syne",I
      just love good old classic melodies that are tastefully decorated by
      today's pros. Nice work!

      My best experiences:
      1. Gotcha!, 1999, Semis- "Royal Garden Blues", thank you for giving
      us so much love. Even making the ten last year has not paralleled the
      feeling from on stage that night. You bbs fans are simply amazing.
      It doesn't matter where a quartet is at a point in time, but there's
      something to be said about doing your persoanl best in front of 10,000
      people, and I must say we all enjoy the memory to this day and
      forever. Thank you!
      2. MOH, 1996- "Love Me, and The World is Mine", I had just gone to
      MoH during colege. My first gold, and another religious experience
      with my brothers and sisters in harmony. Thanks for showing your
      appreciation of the song. I will never forget it!

      Thanks,
      Alan Gordon
      Bari- Gotcha!
      Director- Verdugo Hills, SAI, Reg 11
    • gotchabari@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2001
> [...]

        just love good old classic melodies that are tastefully decorated by
        today's pros. Nice work!

        My best experiences:
        1. Gotcha!, 1999, Semis- "Royal Garden Blues", thank you for giving
        us so much love. Even making the ten last year has not paralleled the
        feeling from on stage that night. You bbs fans are simply amazing.
        It doesn't matter where a quartet is at a point in time, but there's
        something to be said about doing your persoanl best in front of 10,000
        people, and I must say we all enjoy the memory to this day and
        forever. Thank you!
        2. MOH, 1996- "Love Me, and The World is Mine", I had just gone to
        MoH during colege. My first gold, and another religious experience
        with my brothers and sisters in harmony. Thanks for showing your
        appreciation of the song. I will never forget it!

      • Hank Brandt
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2001
          --- In bbshop@y..., "Jack Martin" <jwmartin@g...> wrote:
          > There are several outstanding performances that I can recall...
          > ...in 1980 when the Boston
          > Common won in SLC with "That Old Quartet of Mine/"
          > ...in 1981 when the Thoroughbreds performed the Mardi Grau
          > March package!
          > ... Grandma's Boys and the New Tradition
          > chorus's toy soldier performances warrant serious consideration.

          Thanks for the mention, Jack. I agree whole-heartedly with your other
          citations (no pun intended). I have to add The Most Happy Fellows
          winning in 1977 with their WWI set: "If He Can Fight Like He Can
          Love" is a favorite memory, and not just because I got to see it from
          the wings just before we had to sing (talk about an act to follow)!
          The height of comedy, and the epitome of pathos ("Don't Leave Me,
          Dear Old Mammy") in a near-perfect set. Get out the record and
          listen. (What? Don't have records?) Yikes. There we are in 7th place
          doing "Jazz Baby." Behind BSU and the Roaring 20s and Boston Common
          (again) and Vagabonds and 139th St. (with the late, great Jim Meehan).

          And that was modern times to us! Nine years after we attended out
          first International. How about the Mark IV in '68 and '69?
          Incredible singing...

          Ah, memories!

          Hank Brandt
          GBs '79