Hurricane Relief

  • jsiepler
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 2:22 PM
      (A letter from Ed Watson and Rob Hopkins)

      Fellow Barbershoppers, humanitarians and friends,
      Our hearts go out to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, the natural
      disaster that struck the coasts of Louisiana and Mississippi,
      leaving utter devastation in its wake. Relief efforts are under
      way, and there will be much to do over the next few months.

      We are heartened that there have been many inquiries by our
      membership as to what we can do to aid all the unfortunate victims.
      While the law limits what we can do as an organization, there is no
      limit to the aid and assistance we can render as individuals.

      As time passes, the requirements for aid will change. Rebuilding
      efforts will take a while to develop; in the near term, we urge each
      of you to search your conscience and do what you are able as an
      individual to immediately assist those in distress. While many
      would like to donate clothing, shelter, and tangible assets, the
      biggest need right now is for monetary donations to the American Red
      Cross and similar agencies trained to give immediate and effective
      help. (See links below.) Please check carefully the agencies you use
      for donations, and stick with those known for reputable disaster
      relief.

      Those of you closer to the devastation may have the opportunity for
      more hands-on efforts. Check with your local relief agencies.
      Over time, as the rescue efforts become better organized, donations
      of time and talents to effective fund raisers and telethons may be
      possible. Perhaps a portion of show proceeds may be donated.
      Voluntary appearances and fund raising shows are an effective way to
      get money to relief agencies. Blood drives are certainly a good way
      to get what is needed to those who need it. Check with your
      districts and look for ideas from your fellow barbershoppers. As we
      hear good ideas from you, we will pass them along.

      Barbershoppers are a most generous and kind group of life-loving
      folk. We are proud to be members of this organization. We will
      continue to help, in the most effective way possible, the victims of
      this most recent natural tragedy in the weeks and months ahead.

      Rob Hopkins, President
      Ed Watson, Executive Director

      Disaster Relief Agencies:
      American Red Cross: www.redcross.org or call your local office