RE: [bbshop] Best International Contest Set

  • Jack Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 8:21 PM
      There are several outstanding performances that I can recall. One was when
      the Regents won in 1974 with the singing of "Little Girl" This was one of
      my better years where I had front row seats very close to the center of the
      stage. I was a blubbering mess for several minutes after this performance.

      My next overwhelming performance was none other than in 1980 when the Boston
      Common won in SLC with "That Old Quartet of Mine/" I truly think if the
      judges had not awarded the gold to the BC that the audience would have
      tarred and feathered all the judges to include the contest administrators.

      I think the next was in 1981 when the Thoroughbreds performed the Mardi Grau
      March package! Dress in Red, Dressed in Blue, they went marching, marching,
      marching to the MG, with golden horns in hand!

      I can't remember the year, but the VM performance when they sang "Who'll
      Take My Place When I'm Gone" was a barn-burner also. I suspect it may have
      been in 1982 in Pittsburgh.

      Then of course there was the GHG winning in Calgary in 1993 singing "Bright
      was the Night" If memory serves me they also sang this song in 92 in the
      N'alins contest but didn't have the same impact there.

      And I would be remiss if I didn't include FRED'S performance's in the
      Atlanta Contest in 1998. Joe Clay stole the show there. Pookie was the
      perennial clown, but "Joe Clay" the bass was the star in 1998.

      I might add that contest scores do not always reflect the greatest
      performances as judged by the audience. Grandma's Boys and the New Tradition
      chorus's toy soldier performances warrant serious consideration. GB did the
      Toy Soldier set first in 1978 when the BSU won.

      In Harmony
      Jack Martin

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 10:07 PM
> [...]

          just love good old classic melodies that are tastefully decorated by
          today's pros. Nice work!

          My best experiences:
          1. Gotcha!, 1999, Semis- "Royal Garden Blues", thank you for giving
          us so much love. Even making the ten last year has not paralleled the
          feeling from on stage that night. You bbs fans are simply amazing.
          It doesn't matter where a quartet is at a point in time, but there's
          something to be said about doing your persoanl best in front of 10,000
          people, and I must say we all enjoy the memory to this day and
          forever. Thank you!
          2. MOH, 1996- "Love Me, and The World is Mine", I had just gone to
          MoH during colege. My first gold, and another religious experience
          with my brothers and sisters in harmony. Thanks for showing your
          appreciation of the song. I will never forget it!

        • Hank Brandt
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3 8:44 AM
            --- In bbshop@y..., "Jack Martin" <jwmartin@g...> wrote:
            > There are several outstanding performances that I can recall...
            > ...in 1980 when the Boston
            > Common won in SLC with "That Old Quartet of Mine/"
            > ...in 1981 when the Thoroughbreds performed the Mardi Grau
            > March package!
            > ... Grandma's Boys and the New Tradition
            > chorus's toy soldier performances warrant serious consideration.

            Thanks for the mention, Jack. I agree whole-heartedly with your other
            citations (no pun intended). I have to add The Most Happy Fellows
            winning in 1977 with their WWI set: "If He Can Fight Like He Can
            Love" is a favorite memory, and not just because I got to see it from
            the wings just before we had to sing (talk about an act to follow)!
            The height of comedy, and the epitome of pathos ("Don't Leave Me,
            Dear Old Mammy") in a near-perfect set. Get out the record and
            listen. (What? Don't have records?) Yikes. There we are in 7th place
            doing "Jazz Baby." Behind BSU and the Roaring 20s and Boston Common
            (again) and Vagabonds and 139th St. (with the late, great Jim Meehan).

            And that was modern times to us! Nine years after we attended out
            first International. How about the Mark IV in '68 and '69?
            Incredible singing...

            Ah, memories!

            Hank Brandt
            GBs '79