Best International Contest Set

  • dbaldrich1@JUNO.COM
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2001
      Hello all,

      I read an article in the Harmonizer about some of the great moments
      in our International contest history.

      In that vein, let me ask what you think was the best contest set
      (Chorus and/or Quartet) at International Competition, and why?

      Since I've only been to International 3 times (1996, 1997, & 2000) I
      can't speak with much authority. But, I would have to say that
      PLATINUM's 3rd night set, Smilin' Through and Cuddle Up A Little
      Closer, was unbelievable. I kept thinking that there was no way for
      them to top what they had done the previous two sessions. Their PRE
      score for Cuddle Up was 489/500, or 97.8%!!! Amazing!!! I remember
      standing ovations on at least four of their six songs.

      Since I have been a competitor in the chorus contests, I haven't been
      able to witness the winners (VM twice and MOH).

      Thanks in advance for sharing your memories with me, and with the
      rest of us.

      David Bailey-Aldrich
      Lead - Innovation - 2000 Land O' Lakes District Quartet Champions
      Lead - Great Northern Union Chorus - 2000 4th Place Medallists
      University of Minnesota
      Networking and Telecommunications Services
      612-626-9996 - Office
      612-626-7337 - Fax
      baile044@...
    • Jack Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2001
        There are several outstanding performances that I can recall. One was when
        the Regents won in 1974 with the singing of "Little Girl" This was one of
        my better years where I had front row seats very close to the center of the
        stage. I was a blubbering mess for several minutes after this performance.

        My next overwhelming performance was none other than in 1980 when the Boston
        Common won in SLC with "That Old Quartet of Mine/" I truly think if the
        judges had not awarded the gold to the BC that the audience would have
        tarred and feathered all the judges to include the contest administrators.

        I think the next was in 1981 when the Thoroughbreds performed the Mardi Grau
        March package! Dress in Red, Dressed in Blue, they went marching, marching,
        marching to the MG, with golden horns in hand!

        I can't remember the year, but the VM performance when they sang "Who'll
        Take My Place When I'm Gone" was a barn-burner also. I suspect it may have
        been in 1982 in Pittsburgh.

        Then of course there was the GHG winning in Calgary in 1993 singing "Bright
        was the Night" If memory serves me they also sang this song in 92 in the
        N'alins contest but didn't have the same impact there.

        And I would be remiss if I didn't include FRED'S performance's in the
        Atlanta Contest in 1998. Joe Clay stole the show there. Pookie was the
        perennial clown, but "Joe Clay" the bass was the star in 1998.

        I might add that contest scores do not always reflect the greatest
        performances as judged by the audience. Grandma's Boys and the New Tradition
        chorus's toy soldier performances warrant serious consideration. GB did the
        Toy Soldier set first in 1978 when the BSU won.

        In Harmony
        Jack Martin

          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2001
> [...]

            just love good old classic melodies that are tastefully decorated by
            today's pros. Nice work!

            My best experiences:
            1. Gotcha!, 1999, Semis- "Royal Garden Blues", thank you for giving
            us so much love. Even making the ten last year has not paralleled the
            feeling from on stage that night. You bbs fans are simply amazing.
            It doesn't matter where a quartet is at a point in time, but there's
            something to be said about doing your persoanl best in front of 10,000
            people, and I must say we all enjoy the memory to this day and
            forever. Thank you!
            2. MOH, 1996- "Love Me, and The World is Mine", I had just gone to
            MoH during colege. My first gold, and another religious experience
            with my brothers and sisters in harmony. Thanks for showing your
            appreciation of the song. I will never forget it!

          • Hank Brandt
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2001
              --- In bbshop@y..., "Jack Martin" <jwmartin@g...> wrote:
              > There are several outstanding performances that I can recall...
              > ...in 1980 when the Boston
              > Common won in SLC with "That Old Quartet of Mine/"
              > ...in 1981 when the Thoroughbreds performed the Mardi Grau
              > March package!
              > ... Grandma's Boys and the New Tradition
              > chorus's toy soldier performances warrant serious consideration.

              Thanks for the mention, Jack. I agree whole-heartedly with your other
              citations (no pun intended). I have to add The Most Happy Fellows
              winning in 1977 with their WWI set: "If He Can Fight Like He Can
              Love" is a favorite memory, and not just because I got to see it from
              the wings just before we had to sing (talk about an act to follow)!
              The height of comedy, and the epitome of pathos ("Don't Leave Me,
              Dear Old Mammy") in a near-perfect set. Get out the record and
              listen. (What? Don't have records?) Yikes. There we are in 7th place
              doing "Jazz Baby." Behind BSU and the Roaring 20s and Boston Common
              (again) and Vagabonds and 139th St. (with the late, great Jim Meehan).

              And that was modern times to us! Nine years after we attended out
              first International. How about the Mark IV in '68 and '69?
              Incredible singing...

              Ah, memories!

              Hank Brandt
              GBs '79