Re: [bbshop] Re The Way Things Work

  • Joe De Felice
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
      Not to be contrary.... but this is the 2nd time recently that someone has said Harmonet is 2000 folks.

      If you check the Yahoo site, you will note that we have jumped all the way up to 4,360 as of today.

      SHOW GLOW Joe

      At 7/31/2005 09:49 PM, larry4lead@... wrote:

      > ---------- clip----------------
      >
      >Now, our BHS has about 30,000 members….enter the Harmonet. These 2000 folks (from BHS, SAI & HI, plus Affiliates) are comprised of a lot of folks who have been “active” in their Chapters, Districts, Regions etc.
      >They are used to making decisions (and I hope “responsible” decisions). For some reason they are looking to create “weak spots” in our operations. They have a rallying cry of “Membership Vote,” while demanding that the official decisions be swept aside for their (for lack of a better word…) whims.

    • Thomas R. Arneberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2005
        > From: Joe De Felice <showglowjoe@...>
        > Date: Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 11:56:16PM -0400:
        > Subj: Re: [bbshop] Re The Way Things Work
        >
        > Not to be contrary.... but this is the 2nd time recently that
        > someone has said Harmonet is 2000 folks.
        >
        > If you check the Yahoo site, you will note that we have jumped
        > all the way up to 4,360 as of today.

        Yes, but a few months ago Yahoo made a change to their stats. They
        now count "bouncing" members in the grand total. I just checked,
        and there are currently 822 members whose incoming email is bouncing.
        These people are effectively off the list, so the true number of
        subscribers is actually 3538. (Still higher than 2000, I'll grant you!)

        But wait, there's more! I just ran a little program I wrote to analyze
        Yahoo email lists:

        | Subscribers to "bbshop", as of Sat, 08/06/05:
        |
        | Number Percent Subscription
        | of subs of total option
        | ------- -------- ------
        | 198 5% 'Special Notices'
        | 2271 52% 'No Email'
        | 1079 25% 'Individual Emails'
        | 813 19% 'Daily Digest'
        | ---- ----
        | 4362 100% TOTAL

        Over half the subscribers are on "No Email." That gives them permission
        to post, but they don't receive any Harmonet email; they can go read it
        on the web like everyone else.

        So in reality, the number of people actually getting email from the
        Harmonet is 1079+813= 1892. Not too far from that 2000 number after
        all!

        - Tom A. (just back from a one-week vacation)
        ;-) I'd rather be ____ Thomas Arneberg | http://ChipsQuartet.com
        :-) singing in a |____| toma@... | SPEBSQSA member since 1978
        :-) Barbershop _| _| SGI (formerly Cray)| Former chapters: St. Paul,
        :-) Quartet! (_) (_) Chippewa Falls, WI | Denver, W.Portland, Hilltop
      • Duane Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2005
          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas R. Arneberg" <toma@s...> wrote:

          > Over half the subscribers are on "No Email." That gives them
          >permission
          > to post, but they don't receive any Harmonet email; they can go
          read >it
          > on the web like everyone else.
          >
          > So in reality, the number of people actually getting email from the
          > Harmonet is 1079+813= 1892. Not too far from that 2000 number after
          > all!
          >
          > - Tom A. (just back from a one-week vacation)

          Tom,

          I'm among the "over half" that don't get the Harmonet by email, but
          (I'm almost embarrassed to say) I read almost every post on the web,
          which I find much more convenient. On the other hand, I belong to
          more specialized groups with less traffic (like BBSbasses) where I
          receive email, to avoid daily checking of a less active site. One
          thing's for sure, the Harmonet is seldom inactive for long.

          My point is that many of the most active harmonet readers and posters
          use the "no mail" setting. I'm sure it wasn't your intention to
          demean their status.

          Duane Johnson
        • Joe De Felice
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2005
            Ah yes, politics enters the Harmonet...... ;-)
            admittedly only via a particularly offensive
            politically active term called..... "parsing".

            Tom, you are so great do all that work and
            keep us all honest. But in truth, I really think
            we can relate the last analysis regarding
            "no-mailers" to reflect those who cant bear the
            weight of incoming volumes of posters, of which
            I would like to see a count, if you have that
            capability. (That would be interesting since another
            statement is prevalent .... less than 10%.).

            The protectors of "incoming" I am sure outweigh those
            who want to post occasionally. But we will really never
            know that unless Yahoo counts those who scan the messages for nuggets and wash out the others.

            But in the end, isn't it the community of Harmonetters which is
            the subject of counts that people and numbers describe??
            If you can agree to that, then it takes all types to make that
            other politically oriented term (of the lady of the far left [?] )
            "a village" (most recently converted by opponents, to "a family").

            Ergo., forthwith and gaudeamus igitur....... Let's stick with the
            "official" and unparsed turtle, er.. total..... 4,362 (which you will note has increased by 2 since my count). After all, we ARE all
            Harmonetters, are we not??

            SHOW GLOW Joe

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2005
              > From: Duane Johnson <johnsondp@...>
              > Date: Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 05:00:34AM -0000:
              > Subj: [bbshop] Re: number of subscribers
              >
              > Tom,
              >
              > I'm among the "over half" that don't get the Harmonet by email, but
              > (I'm almost embarrassed to say) I read almost every post on the web,
              > which I find much more convenient. On the other hand, I belong to
              > more specialized groups with less traffic (like BBSbasses) where I
              > receive email, to avoid daily checking of a less active site. One
              > thing's for sure, the Harmonet is seldom inactive for long.
              >
              > My point is that many of the most active harmonet readers and posters
              > use the "no mail" setting. I'm sure it wasn't your intention to
              > demean their status.
              >
              > Duane Johnson

              Correct, I did not mean to demean the status of "no mail" people.
              What I was trying to point out is that if you count NOMAIL people
              because they read the Harmonet postings on the web page, then it's
              impossible to get an accurate count. This is because anyone can
              view the messages on the web, since our messages are public. (I.e.,
              unlike some lists where only list members can read messages.)

              So many more people than are signed up may be reading posts.

              On the other hand, many people who are actually getting email might
              not read it due to filters! So it's really hard to tell either way.

              - Tom A.