Re: Jezebel

  • Kevin Keller
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
      I'm not a PRS judge, but I think I can speak.

      Just for edification on the rules, alluding to biblical characters is not a
      big deal. The intent of the rules is "extolling of a deity" or
      "glorification of religious beliefs". So, anthems/hymns are generally
      professing a belief and can be called into question. The song Jezebel is
      merely stating that "you are just like the character Jezebel". It wouldn't
      raise an eyebrow from a PRS judge on the standpoint of religion. Perhaps on
      taste, and that I can't begin to answer.

      MUS-wise on the popular chart, it is woefully weak on barbershop sevenths
      and harmonic richness/circle of fifths motion. Structurally, I don't hear
      an arrangement in my head that would sound remotely close to barbershoppy
      enough for contest, but judgment is always made in a live setting and who
      knows what someone might do.

      Cheers!

      Kevin Keller
    • Shelley Herman
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
        > From: firmbari@...
        > Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:56:44 +0000
        > To: "Tom Emmert" <fclef@...>, bbshop@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [bbshop] Re: Jezebel
        >
        > Hi netters!
        >
        > I have a question. In your opinions, does this mean that any song containing
        > a name mentioned in the Bible cannot be sung in contest because of religious
        > connotations?

        Well, there go a bunch of George M. Cohan Songs!

        Shelley Herman
        saherman@...